Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Special Correspondents 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Special Correspondents 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Special Correspondents
Special Correspondents

Quote:
Special Correspondents is a 2016 British-Canadian-American satirical comedy film written, directed by and starring Ricky Gervais. The film is a remake of the 2009 French comedy of the same name, and stars Gervais, Eric Bana, Vera Farmiga, Kelly Macdonald, Kevin Pollak, Benjamin Bratt, America Ferrera and Raúl Castillo. The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on 22 April 2016 and was released worldwide by Netflix on 29 April 2016.

Tue May 17, 2016 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Special Correspondents
Gervais is not in top form, but he plays humble Albert character well. The movie isn't anything special really, but aside from Gervais it's the rest of the cast that keeps it firm upright. I laughed out loud a few times, and was otherwise snickering for most of the time. It's harmless little movie, that I had a very good time with it. The film has an interesting plot with some nice parody in it, but it never becomes something a classic funny film all together. It's difficult to keep comedy up for a film's run time, and special correspondents shows that as well. There's nothing remarkable about Gervais the director in this film, but together with Bana as the leading man and a good supporting cast it's worth a watch.

B

Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 pm
now we know

It's a decent film, but this will become the "forgotten Gervais" in years to come. Firstly; it took a backdoor in distribution and went straight to Netflix, and secondly; it is just not a straight-up comedy. It is funny in parts and has a comedic plot, but it has scenes of fear, action, drama, and at its heart it is a story of tragedy/love. It's not very deep at all, which is why it is first and foremost still a comedy, but it's really quite a low-key, subdued affair for a Ricky Gervias production.

I liked it because I like anything that Gervais is in, but it seems that he was very inspired by Derek (which actually I didn't get into), in so much that he aims to evoke sympathy more than in his other film roles - and his character has a full enough and interesting enough story. The cast is brilliant. America Ferrera and Raúl Castillo are the obvious comedic standouts, and they work very well. But Eric Bana, for me, was kind of hilarious in his own brash and sauve way.

Funnily, Gervais did re-use a joke that he uses in his stand-up, which I thought was a tad lazy, but the rest of the material is fresh.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 am
Profile WWW
now we know

stuffp wrote:
Gervais is not in top form, but he plays humble Albert character well.

You certainly paid attention! His character's name is Ian. ;)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Whups

Sun May 22, 2016 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]