Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Love & Friendship 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Love & Friendship 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Love & Friendship
Love & Friendship

Quote:
Love & Friendship is a 2016 romantic comedy film written and directed by Whit Stillman. It is based on Jane Austen's epistolary novel Lady Susan first published in 1871. The film stars Kate Beckinsale, Chloƫ Sevigny, Xavier Samuel and Stephen Fry. It centres on Lady Susan Vernon (Beckinsale), who seeks refuge at her in-laws estate while rumors about her private life circulate through society. Lady Susan then decides to find a husband for both herself and her daughter. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2016. It is scheduled to be released on May 13, 2016, by Roadside Attractions and Amazon Studios. Although it is adapted from Austen's novel Lady Susan, the film has been produced under the borrowed title of her juvenile story Love and Friendship.

Sat May 14, 2016 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Love & Friendship
This was an absolute delight. It's incredibly well-written and often laugh-out-loud hilarious, and the entire cast is at the top of their game. Kate Beckinsale is fantastic and delivers what I believe is a career-best performance - her delivery is so hysterical and she manages to sell this despicable character's undeniable charm perfectly. This is way different from your average Jane Austen movie adaptation and feels incredibly modern - don't miss it, it's a blast. A-

Sat May 14, 2016 5:09 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

There is perhaps no better descriptor for Whit Stillman's Love & Friendship than "delightful romp." This is likely the most hilarious Jane Austen adaptation you're ever going to find, and it should win over even people who don't traditionally like stuffy costume/period dramas. In the role of her career so far, Kate Beckinsale devours the role of Lady Susan with relish, perhaps surprising many who have written her off as an actress recently. A terrific supporting cast is in fine form as well, particularly Tom Bennett as the film's "blockhead." It's perfectly tart and sly, and never overstays its welcome with a long running time. A-

Sun May 29, 2016 2:28 pm
Cream of the Crop

It is undeniably a treat to see more of the incomparable Jane Austen's work adapted to film, however I urge viewers to keep their expectations reined in because this film is being way oversold by reviewers. Love & Friendship is an enjoyable but slight take on Austen's enjoyable but slight early short 'novel' Lady Susan. The actors enhanced it, but I question whether director Whit Stillman did. The onscreen text was amusing at first but distracting overall. *B*

Tue May 31, 2016 4:02 pm
Forum General

I thought it was fine but was a bit on the dull side. I'm honestly baffled by the overwhelmingly positive reviews because besides a bit of humor, it's not much more than your typical costume period piece. I did quite enjoy Kate Beckinsale and Tom Bennett and there were some funny moments but it was just "fine."

C+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

Writer and director Whit Stillman, a significant architect of independent American cinema in the 1990s with Metropolitan, Barcelona, and The Last Days of Disco, delivers a concise and tart adaptation of Lady Susan, Jane Austen's early epistolary novella, unpublished during her life. In a bit of an odd move, Stillman uses the title of another early and obscure entry in the Austen canon, Love & Friendship, teenage Jane's parody of overly ripe romantic novels. To play Lady Susan, a scheming and sensual widower who plots to find wealthy husbands for both herself and her daughter, Stillman recruits his Last Days of Disco star Kate Beckinsale, and her portrayal of self-aware, well-bred egoism is radiant. She is completely at ease playing the drolly barbed notes in which Stillman specializes, and the performance is a reminder of her more traditional dexterity as a thespian after a decade chiefly devoted to hunting werewolves in a tight leather catsuit. Everyone else in the cast, including Emma Greenwell as Susan's suspicious sister-in-law and, briefly, Stephen Fry as a scolding husband with gout, is very fine, too, with television comedian Tom Bennett arguably scoring the richest peripheral role as Susan's daughter's flamboyantly imbecilic gentleman suitor. (Imagine a heightened version of Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Collins.)

My only complaint of note: the film, however expertly dry the humor and sumptuous the costuming, is almost too compact and light a confection, an issue inherited from the source. I wish Stillman endeavored to deepen or expand the piece, perhaps by giving Susan's daughter a more complex interior life (versus just being a pawn) or even modestly slowing the pace to allow the viewer to more closely observe the Georgian-era atmosphere and customs.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:20 pm
Sbil

"May Mr. Johnson's next gouty attack end more favorably."

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:27 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved Lady Susan's complete and utter disdain for her daughter :P It was so funny.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:30 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

hm. Liked it and Beckinsale was very good but it felt very slight to me.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:04 pm
Cream of the Crop

thompsoncory wrote:
I loved Lady Susan's complete and utter disdain for her daughter everyone :P It was so funny the whole point.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:06 am
Wallflower

It has some funny parts but I was thinking it would be funnier. Beckinsale is great, Tom Bennett is hilarious, and Xavier Samuel is beautiful. It's good but I just expected more based on reviews. The ending also felt really abrupt.

7/10 (B-)

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:52 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I watched it a few days back and did find it hilarious at times specially when Kate Beckinsale delivers a funny note in the first half of the movie. The costumes, dialogues are brilliantly done here but it doesn't continue the same tone in second half and uselessly wanders to side stories at the expense of a rushed ending.

As I already mentioned Beckinsale is hilarious throughout specially in the first half and I hope she really gets some attention this awards season. Tom Bennett is equally hilarious here. The reviews do seem to be overselling the movie.

7/10

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]