Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Mother's Day (2016) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
F 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Mother's Day (2016) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mother's Day (2016)
Mother's Day (2016)

Quote:
Mother's Day is a 2016 American comedy film directed by Garry Marshall and written by Tom Hines, Lily Hollander, Anya Kochoff-Romano and Matt Walker. The film stars an ensemble cast, led by Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson, Julia Roberts and Jason Sudeikis, and featuring Timothy Olyphant, Margo Martindale, Shay Mitchell, Britt Robertson, Héctor Elizondo, Jack Whitehall and Jon Lovitz. Filming began on August 18, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia. It is scheduled to be released domestically on April 29, 2016 by Open Road Films.

The film is similar to Marshall's previous two ensemble romantic comedies, Valentine's Day (2010) and New Year's Eve (2011).

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Mother's Day (2016)
It's a steaming pile of garbage. As a movie, there isn't an aspect that works. It's a truly abysmal experience...unless you view it as either a fucked up prequel or sequel to We're the Millers. Then it kind of works.

However, this movie might have a purpose in the long run. If utilized properly it could be an effective form of birth control. Want to be a mother? Watch this!

(Then again, there isn't any aspect to this film that's in anyway realistic, so it might not be that effective)

F

- The brief "patriotic" (pandering) scenes (not counting the embarrassing cameo by Jennifer Garner) are what tipped this into the "F" for me. And the over the top music that plays during both scenes in the graveyard...holy shit. Awful.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Jmart wrote:
It's a steaming pile of garbage. As a movie, there isn't an aspect that works. It's a truly abysmal experience...unless you view it as either a fucked up prequel or sequel to We're the Millers. Then it kind of works.

However, this movie might have a purpose in the long run. If utilized properly it could be an effective form of birth control. Want to be a mother? Watch this!

(Then again, there isn't any aspect to this film that's in anyway realistic, so it might not be that effective)

F

- The brief "patriotic" (pandering) scenes (not counting the embarrassing cameo by Jennifer Garner) are what tipped this into the "F" for me. And the over the top music that plays during both scenes in the graveyard...holy shit. Awful.

Crazy, I now know what you look like.

I'll let you figure this one out.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 pm
Profile WWW

*Crosses fingers* - My review is that popular (one of the four?)!?

Or did I just fall into a trap?

Shit.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:00 pm
Profile WWW

If I go radio silent now, just know that I loved everyone and Arthur did it. He's my murderer.

Sun May 01, 2016 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Like presenting your mom with a sort of torn up greeting card you found in the CVS parking lot trash can, covered in goo.

It's a pretty big accomplishment just how lifeless and workmanlike this movie is, considering the number of people I truly love in it (you will not find bigger Jen Aniston and Julia Roberts supporters than myself). Garry Marshall just needs to stop.

D

Fri May 06, 2016 5:23 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is a pretty shitty movie that totally wastes the talented cast. I don't like Sudekis but what the hell was he doing in this movie? Not even a single story works here aside from maybe a scene from Jack Whitehall with his daughter on stage.

2/10

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Libs wrote:
Like presenting your mom with a sort of torn up greeting card you found in the CVS parking lot trash can, covered in goo.

It's a pretty big accomplishment just how lifeless and workmanlike this movie is, considering the number of people I truly love in it (you will not find bigger Jen Aniston and Julia Roberts supporters than myself). Garry Marshall just needs to stop.

D

Well...

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

:whaa: Libs did it...

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Well, I've finally found a movie I hated this year more than Batman v. Superman. This is the worst movie of the year so far, and honestly may keep that title at year's end because it's truly that awful. It makes both of the previous Garry Marshall themed holiday films look like complete masterpieces in comparison (and for the record I don't think Valentine's Day is a bad movie, and New Year's Eve has its moments). Everything about it is lazy, dull, unfunny, offensive and poorly written. The stacked ensemble are all playing cardboard cutout characters and the whole thing feels like the cinematic equivalent of watching a Wal-Mart ad over and over again. Of the leads the only one who delivers anything remotely resembling a performance is Julia Roberts, and she's buried under a wig that is unspeakably distracting. Every single scene with Kate Hudson and her awful family was unbearable, and I like her and the other actors involved. Jason Sudeikis's character didn't make any sense (and oh god that Jennifer Garner cameo), Jennifer Aniston is sleepwalking through this movie, and Hollywood continues to display they have no idea what age demographic to cast Britt Robertson in. It's honestly ghastly and I'm mad I wasted my time with it. It's a shame Garry Marshall, who I think is a decent enough rom-com director who's made some solid films, went out with this one. D-

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Jmart wrote:
Libs wrote:

D

Well...

:(

It's so sad this was his last movie.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:54 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Seriously. I mean his filmography isn't immaculate, but at least from his filmography Pretty Woman, The Princess Diaries, Beaches and Valentine's Day are really enjoyable movies. And New Year's Eve and Raising Helen are fine[/b].

The Other Sister is ghastly like this one though.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:47 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

This movie was not very good, and it's a shame it's Gerry Marshall's last film. In addition to Pretty Woman and The Princess Diaries, I also think Georgia Rule was one of his best movies. It had tone issues, and it was horribly misrepresented in the trailers and commercials, but the acting was great.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 am
Hold the door!

I thought this was alright. Mildly amusing. Kate Hudson has an attractive body. It had some laughs. It's pretty typical, easily digestible comedy that works sometimes and not other times. My mom even liked it.

B-

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:56 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love Kate Hudson and think she can be hilarious (she is comedic gold on How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days), but her whole storyline here was nails on a chalkboard to me. Excruciating.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Abrupt ending, some awful (mostly child) performances, and lots of sickly niceness, but I didn't mind Mother's Day. It has its heart in the right place, and the casual nature of the film was really relaxing. Seeing loads of likable stars; Jennifer Aniston, Jason Sudeikis, Tim Olyphant, Julia Roberts, Kate Hudson, Jack Whitehall, Jon Lovitz, and Jennifer Garner on-screen in the same film was pleasing. Then there's the unbelievably gorgeous Shay Mitchell. What a bombshell.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:
Hollywood continues to display they have no idea what age demographic to cast Britt Robertson in.

What do you mean by this? It was pretty clear to me. She was playing an early twenty-something new mum (between 21-25). And she is 26 in real-life, so I don't get your comment. Her face being so young-looking, Hollywood could offer her parts of a 17-year-old and it would still be fine. But I thought she fit the role well here. I don't get your comment. Do you think her character was in her 30s?!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:
Everything about it is lazy, dull, unfunny, offensive and poorly written.

Everything about it is offensive? Well, that's certainly not true. There were some scenes where I thought the overly-sensitive PC brigade would get offended (such as comments by Hudson's parents, and the black checkout operators), but EVERYTHING being offensive is a ridiculous exaggeration.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I actually didn't think this was horrible. Certainly better than Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve. It was nothing special and incredibly predictable and cheesy but I certainly didn't hate it. That being said, after seeing it back in May, I remember just about nothing about it. :P

C+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:03 pm