Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Sing Street 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Sing Street 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Sing Street
Sing Street

Quote:
Sing Street is a 2016 musical comedy-drama film written, produced, and directed by John Carney. Starring Lucy Boynton, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Jack Reynor, Kelly Thornton, and Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, the story revolves around a boy starting a band to impress a girl. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on 24 January 2016. It was released in Ireland on 17 March 2016 and in the United States on 15 April. It will be released in the United Kingdom on 20 May.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Sing Street
John Carney's Sing Street is a rather darling, hugely uplifting crowdpleaser that comes across as a semi-junior version of The Commitments. Carney hasn't reached the heights of Once with Begin Again or Sing Street, but he's certainly in his wheelhouse here. The film is warm and inviting, with an incredibly catchy soundtrack of original songs (if "Drive It Like You Stole It" isn't nominated for the Best Song Oscar, I give up). There are a few moments here and there that feel kind of half baked, but ultimately most will be won over by the film's contagious energy. B+

Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:10 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was such a sweet, enjoyable movie. I didn't think it was as good as Begin Again (which is one of my favorite movies of recent years in its genre), but it has a sense of optimism to it that a lot of movies don't have anymore. Its energy is infectious and it makes it easy to overlook some of its flaws (I thought some of the band members could have been better developed and I wasn't a huge fan of the very end). All of the performances are great - Ferdia Walsh-Peelo and Lucy Boynton are both major finds and have a lovely chemistry with each other (Boynton is going to be a breakout star without question - the camera loves her). Jack Reynor is also fantastic and the relationship between him and Peelo is really the heart of the movie. The soundtrack is also awesome - I really hope Carney isn't robbed again of a second Best Song Oscar like he was with Begin Again - all the original songs are super fun and catchy. This is definitely John Carney's ode to teen romance movies of the 1980s and there are shades of John Hughes movies throughout (including one big extravagantly staged ode to Back to the Future). It's a lot of fun. A-

Sun May 01, 2016 4:34 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I LOVED "Up" and "Drive It Like You Stole It." Downloaded both immediately.

I wish Weinstein was giving this more exposure. It's a total crowdpleaser but is going to be ignored with the way they've been doing the release thus far (I still maintain they screwed over Begin Again as well, which should have been an 80+ Million grosser for sure).

Sun May 01, 2016 4:36 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Irish director John Carney (Once, Begin Again) has quietly become a consistent purveyor of the type of heartfelt, music- and romance-driven entertainment we used to expect and receive from Cameron Crowe, and Sing Street is his best film to date. Set in Dublin in the mid-1980s, the story turns on a shy teenager (Ferdia Walsh-Peelo) who rapidly assembles a guitar-pop band to catch the eye of a slightly older aspiring model (Lucy Boynton), drawing inspiration from his frequently stoned older brother's (Jack Reynor) collection of records by the Cure, Duran Duran, Soft Cell, etc. Built upon an enormous well of empathy for its characters and their day-to-day contention with Catholic-school rigidity, flawed parenting, and (maybe) unrequited love, the film infuses a simple-but-rewarding story with authentic emotion and enticing music*, and the youthful cast is fresh-faced and sensational.

A-

*one minor caveat: "Drive It Like You Stole It," while catchy, sounded a bit out-of-place to me. A bit too top-40 polished. It almost sounds as if it could have a Ne-Yo guest spot. "The Riddle of the Model" and "Brown Shoes" are my favorite of the original songs.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed May 04, 2016 1:31 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I think it fit with what they were going for as it was a big homage to the fun, catchy '80s movie theme songs like in Back to the Future.

The actual version they made with some D-list pop singer for radio is awful.

Wed May 04, 2016 9:35 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I highly enjoyed it. The film and the soundtrack are a lot of fun. I agree with Cory that Lucy Boynton is going to be a star.

8/10 (A-)

Mon May 09, 2016 1:23 am
Extraordinary

Pretty good. Very enjoyable but idk, like Carney's Begin Again it felt like it was missing something.

Sat May 14, 2016 1:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I think this is a good and sometimes great (whenever it concentrates on music) movie with another brilliant soundtrack listing from John Carney. The movie works when it is about music and the band but aside from a scene or two it forgets about concepts of shy student of the school, the rest of the band, school in general (after one great scene with removing make-up) and one of biggest caveat is the love story is half-baked (more than/similar to Begin Again). But the tunes are so catchy and film has an energy that draws you in instantly. I loved Once and Begin Again was great but this is definitely a step-down from those two movies. Ferdia Walsh-Peelo was fine but Lucy Boynton does a great job so does Jack Reynor

My favorite track is "The Riddle of the Model" and then "To Find You".

6/10

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

David wrote:
*one minor caveat: "Drive It Like You Stole It," while catchy, sounded a bit out-of-place to me. A bit too top-40 polished. It almost sounds as if it could have a Ne-Yo guest spot. "The Riddle of the Model" and "Brown Shoes" are my favorite of the original songs.

Agreed "Drive It Like You Stole It" also sounds quite different from rest of the soundtrack. I liked Brown Shoes and its placement in the movie but I am just not fan of its lyrics. I really like the simple music of "To Find You", such simple lyrics but it feels so dreamy in the soundtrack.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:26 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was just added to Netflix so I watched it again. Such a sweet movie.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:27 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

Was looking forward to this amid good reviews and it turns out it's an incredibly nice watch. Great feel good film. It's the songs what make the film and they're just awesome. Such a pleasant viewing experience. I could have done with it being a bit shorter, it was the songs I was longing to each time and some aspects of the story are a bit underdeveloped. It also plays against a very good backstory of the state of Ireland in the 80's. Also thought the family situation was done very well, with an especially good role from the brother and Aidan Gillen just adds something extra to every role he plays as well. Otherwise I didn't really find any actor stand out, it's just a very capably and quality made film from a director I'm not familiar with. I'll be checking him out since Sing Street is deserving to be named among the year's best.

A-

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:23 pm
now we know

Loved it! I don't know the history behind this film or the filmmakers, and seeing it so late after seemingly everyone else [that matters] has seen it makes me feel less savvy with what this film is all about, but the film I just watched is brilliant. I had such a ball with it. I was singing and humming along to most of the film. John Carney (like Damien Chazelle) makes films that are musical in some way. La La Land definitely has competition for the best score of the year, and Sing Street excels in other ways where La La Land does not. Being an Irish production, it is much closer to home for me, and so the dialogue and circumstances and day-to-day events and activities that happen to these lads is all very relatable. The musical choices are simply great. While Ferdia Walsh-Peelo (Connor/Cosmo) is terrific as the band's frontman, its Jack Reynor that blew me away. And it is always nice to see Aidan Gillen.

[Not that it is a comparison, but it's just that two of the best films for me this year are musical and that is quite rare]...La La Land is magical and very cinematic, but it's from a world that, besides watching films from the period, I am unfamiliar with, whereas I've never set up a band or performed at a school prom either, but Sing Street covers so much more, and was more affecting with its theme of brotherhood, coming-of-age, and boyhood dreams. Plus, it is hilarious, uplifting, and contains incredibly well-written dialogue. I have no choice but to give it my highest grade.

My favourite songs are "Drive It Like You Stole It" and "Up (Bedroom Mix)", but they're all enjoyable.

A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:30 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Told ya.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie totally fell victim to Weinstein going bankrupt. Every single person I've told to watch it has adored it.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Yep this was great. It gave me all sorts of feelings. If only all musicals could feel so natural.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:49 pm
You must have big rats

Hehe, if enough people watch it, maybe it could actually have a shot at winning the WOKJ Awards.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I watched it again. Still love it. Maybe I was a bit too excited to award it the A+. Now lower than an A though.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Sing Street is a charming little teen rom-com. That charm reminded me of a classic John Hughes movie like Sixteen Candles. It was a bonus that I wasn't familiar with the main actors, making it seem all the more real. Very nice. *A*

Sun May 07, 2017 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]