Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Meddler 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Meddler 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Meddler
The Meddler

Quote:
The Meddler is a 2016 American comedy-drama film directed and written by Lorene Scafaria. The film stars Susan Sarandon, Rose Byrne and J. K. Simmons. Principal photography began on March 30, 2015 in Los Angeles. It was screened in the Special Presentations section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. The film will be released on April 22, 2016, by Sony Pictures Classics.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Meddler
This was just absolutely wonderful and I hope it finds the audience it deserves. It's incredibly sweet, funny and heartfelt and makes incredibly interesting and true observations about growing older and family relationships. Susan Sarandon is absolutely incredible here - equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking - and is the movie's anchor. In every scene, her character is so lovable and good-natured that the spirit she projects is infectious. She also handles the more dramatic moments with incredible flair and shares a sweet, natural chemistry with co-star J.K. Simmons (also great). The supporting cast is a who's-who of great comedy names and all add great support, particularly Rose Byrne as Sarandon's type-A screenwriter daughter, Cecily Strong and Jerrod Carmichael (Casey Wilson, Sarah Baker, Lucy Punch and Jason Ritter are also strong). It made me cry a few times and is such a great crowdpleaser. Definitely one to see with your mother. Don't miss it - it's one of my favorites of the year so far. A

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:13 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Too bad it couldn't have been wide for Mother's Day.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:39 pm
Sbil

Engaging and moving with a terrific performance by Susan Sarandon at its center, though I wish Rose Byrne and J.K. Simmons had more to do than orbit her shadow. B

Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

The Meddler would make a nice double bill with Hello, My Name Is Doris. It's greta to see older women getting some love in the romcom genre. I would have liked to see the story done as proper two-hander with Rose Byrne getting equal treatment, but that would have been a different movie. *B+*

Wed May 18, 2016 5:28 am
Wallflower

I really thought Rose Byrne would be more involved than she was in this one. Susan Sarandon was great though and J.K. Simmons was charming. Reminded me of the far superior I'll See You In My Dreams.

Still a cute movie with a great performance.

7/10 (B)

Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 pm
Cream of the Crop

Magic Mike wrote:
Reminded me of the far superior I'll See You In My Dreams.

Good comparison, though I thought The Meddler was the superior film. I had forgotten about I'll See You In My Dreams even before I left the theatre parking lot.

Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 am
Superman: The Movie

The material is nothing new, but Sarandon is phenomenal. She gives the performance of the year. Without her, the movie is a shrug. With her...

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]