Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Thing (1982) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 18 ]
B 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

The Thing (1982) 
College Boy Z

Post The Thing (1982)
The Thing

Quote:
The Thing (aka John Carpenter's The Thing) is a 1982 science fiction horror film directed by John Carpenter, written by Bill Lancaster, and starring Kurt Russell. The film's title refers to its primary antagonist: a parasitic extraterrestrial lifeform that assimilates other organisms and in turn imitates them. It infiltrates an Antarctic research station, taking the appearance of the researchers that it kills, and paranoia occurs within the group.

Ostensibly a remake of the classic 1951 Howard Hawks-Christian Nyby film The Thing from Another World, Carpenter's film is a more faithful adaptation of the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. which inspired the 1951 film. Carpenter considers The Thing to be the first part of his Apocalypse Trilogy, followed by Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. Although the films are unrelated, each feature a potentially apocalyptic scenario; should "The Thing" ever reach civilization, it would be only a matter of time before it consumes humanity and takes over the Earth.

The theatrical box office performance of the film was poor. This has been attributed to many factors, including Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, which was released at the same time and features a more optimistic view of alien visitation. However, The Thing has gone on to gain a cult following with the release on home video. It was subsequently 'novelized' in 1982, adapted into a comic book miniseries published by Dark Horse Comics, and was followed by a video game sequel in 2002, with a film prequel due for release in 2011.

A favorite of mine.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:17 pm
Extraordinary

One of the best endings EVER!!!!!! Also one of the best horror films ever.

A

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:38 pm
htm

I just bought the CE DVD on sale at Circuit City as a blind buy of sorts. It's a great, satisfiying old school freak show for sure. I was really impressed with Carpenter's direction- aside from Halloween, he's pretty much as terrible as Uwe Bolle. The music was great, too. Pretty terrifying. B+/A-.

I see it at the very bottom of the imdb's 250. It's probably around there in mine, too.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:53 pm
The Original

This movie simple kicks ass. There is much more than simple splatter and horror in his movie. I agree the ending is one of the best ive ever seen.

10/10

bobo tatatata bobo tattaattaaa bobo

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:59 pm
You must have big rats

This is the goold old John Carpenter as we know and love him. It is certainly one of his best works. I don't get what is supposedly so great about the film's ending, but otherwise, it is great. It is a very creative creature feature with a good amount of suspense, humor and gore. Good effort by Kurt Russell as well.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

To me it's almost the perfect ending. You dont exactly know whats gonna happen next, is one of them infected? will someone find them? will they freeze to death? They'll just have to sit there and wait now

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:51 am
You must have big rats

Well, most likely they will freeze to death.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well you have a sucky imagination, so you and your sucky imagination should go see a movie with a sucky unimaginative ending and enjoy it because thats what people with a sucky imagination likes.......................hoe

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:57 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Well you have a sucky imagination, so you and your sucky imagination should go see a movie with a sucky unimaginative ending and enjoy it because thats what people with a sucky imagination likes.......................hoe

I am sorry master that I can't imagine two guys surviving the cold of Antarctic for longer than a couple of hours, thus I am sorry about being REALISTIC :cry:

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I am sorry master that I can't imagine two guys surviving the cold of Antarctic for longer than a couple of hours, thus I am sorry about being REALISTIC :cry:
Ohhhhhhhh look at Mr. Sarcastic, trying to make me look like a fool huh? Will shall see who will have the last fooling in this battle.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:11 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The best Horror movie ever made and easily in my top 10 of all time. The movie structure is so lean with absolutely no unnessacery scenes or characters and the whole sense of not knowing who the Thing is destroys you're nerves. The score is deeply foreboding and the Blood Test scene is one of the best in cinema.

A+

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:24 pm
Draughty

Carpenter's best movie and the movie is also a rare example of a remake that is better than the original.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Utterly fantastic. Also the best horror ending I've ever seen.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:17 pm
On autopilot for the summer

One of the main reasons why John Carpenter and Kurt Russell are one of the best combos of all time. Its one of the reasons why Carpenter is easily one of, if not the best, Horror Director of all time, sure hes out of touch now, but its hard for a horror director to get one A+ film from me, and Carpenter manages to get 2 from me, and not to mention BTILT and EFNY are also A+ in my book.

No horror movie has really gona out of its way to find the paranoia between actors, its not that the ending is that amazing, but for its time, and if you really think about it, its truly one of the most depressing films of all time, theres no suprise that i bombed when it came out, the week after the friendly ET came to Earth, were were given one of the most grusomely brutal horror films that has no happy ending. The cast is top notch filled with character actors and everything about it is perfect.

Like earlier stated with Halloween, it may not be the first film that had a horrible alien creature, but it is easily the one that people will look at to better.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

A true horror classic. Claustrophobic setting, cast of lesser-known but great actors, slowly building suspense, and terrific gore effects. The tension amps up so well that jump scares aren't needed for the movie to be frightening, and the paranoia that develops feels real and just as terrifying. A great story, because it doesn't reveal everything and it doesn't have to - it leaves a lot up to the audience's interpretation, and remains mysteriously ambiguous most of the time. Because you don't know who gets infected and when, the film is even more suspenseful, as the audience is in the same position as the characters. And the ending, while hopeless and depressing, fits the film perfectly. Plus, the makeup effects in this film are outstanding and just add to the pure shock of the scenes they're in. One of the top sci-fi/horror hybrids ever.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Thing
A-

Carpenter's direction in terms of fright and suspense isn't half as good as in Halloween, but the story and paranoia addition make up for it. It's definitley one of the best ideas for a sci-fi horror film - and I love the monster in here, it's just so horrendous and evil, all of it's shapes. Most of the deaths are also pretty surprising, you never know who's next.

Kurt Russell is also solid as ever and the ending is indeed perfect.

I like Halloween more, but this is very very solid. A worthy watch.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:45 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This is a way Zombie should have looked at Halloween for a remake.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:52 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Thegun wrote:
This is a way Zombie should have looked at Halloween for a remake.

Jesus don't give Zombie idea's :grrr:

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:48 am
Squee

Hmmmmmm.... :-k

I watched this for the first time today. Had to tear off the shrink wrap and awful stickers of my dad's copy of the DVD... which I BOUGHT for him for Chrismtas many years back. How rude not to open it like that.

First my thoughts on the ending. I was a bit mixed about it at first, but then I started to think about it and now I don't really mind it at all. It wasn't what I feared it was going to be. I feared it was going to be almost the exact same ending of every single dumb horror movie ever. Where the good guy wins (maybe dies after winning) and then they cut to a scene where... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN, the Thing is still alive!

Personally I think neither is a "thing" and they both freeze to death. They were alone, nothing really preventing Childs from just assimilating MacReady. Sure, they both die, but it's a moral victory, so it doesn't feel all that depressing. :funny:

Complaints:

1. Showing the space ship at the beginning of the movie. I think it would have been better just to cut that scene out entirely. It seemed kind of cheesey, and also would have made the discovery later a bit cooler, in my opinion.

2. Characters go a bit dumb at times. Freezing up when they should be shooting (or flame throwing). Wandering off alone when really they should be sticking together...

But oh well, I'll forgive them. The movie was suspenseful, almost the entire way throughout. Kept me tense. Not many movies can claim that. The Departed did the same last year, but I liked the ending to this one a lot more.

Hmmmmmmm....

Oh yeah, what a gross fucking movie.

:glare:

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:56 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Squee watched, Great Success. :thumbsup: And yes it is quite gross.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:23 am
Extraordinary

Yawn...

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:47 am

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Yawn...

:er:

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Yawn...

Why am I not surprised? :mer:

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:19 pm
Extraordinary

Nebs wrote:
Yawn...

trixster wrote:

Saw it in it's original theatrical release way back when, and was thoroughly unimpressed...

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:26 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Nebs wrote:
Yawn...

trixster wrote:

Saw it in it's original theatrical release way back when, and was thoroughly unimpressed...

Hmmmm I smell infection by The Thing!!

Sorry Brad the flamethrower is waiting, its for the good of humanity you understand. :thumbsup:

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next