Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 

What grade would you give this film?
A 49%  49%  [ 21 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 43

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Chippy wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
Chippy wrote:
And now you desperately want to hate it because so many love it.

Wait - - so many people love Force Awakens? The poll for this thread doesn't support that.

46% of the voters gave this an A. 80% gave it a B or higher.

I think that confirms this is very well loved.

Oh, also it being the BIGGEST FUCKING MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

In terms of ticket sales, it's very close to TPM considering 3D and IMAX.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 am
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Chippy wrote:

Just like you desperately want to love 1 and 2, because everyone hates them.

Typical teenage behavior.

Then why would I like 4-6 and 3? People don't hate those. I've elaborated my reasons plenty of times. Whether you like them or not doesn't matter to me.

Obviously it doesn't matter to who. Because you don't even know who the hell you are yet.

Come back to us in 5-6 years when you might be an adult, and read the posts you made. You'll call yourself an idiot.

Yes, because I don't agree with you on everything I'm an idiot.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I never said you were an idiot.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 pm
We had our time together

This is my favorite SW movie.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Riggs wrote:
This is my favorite SW movie.

I'm so sorry.

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Chippy wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
Chippy wrote:

Wait - - so many people love Force Awakens? The poll for this thread doesn't support that.

46% of the voters gave this an A. 80% gave it a B or higher.

I think that confirms this is very well loved.

If you really believe a B equals love, then I'm beginning to understand your comments about divorce in the other thread.

Chippy wrote:
Oh, also it being the BIGGEST FUCKING MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

Here's the all-time list of movies ranked from most loved to least loved.

♡ = $

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:41 am
The Kramer

One year later and another viewing, I'd probably lower my grade from an A to an A-. The first half hour and the last half hour are terrific, but the middle is mostly nostalgia and was kinda boring the second time around. The movie would have been alot better with a simple rescue mission at the end instead of having anything to do with a third death star. They did a great job at building the four new characters though, and the production is still A+. JJ knows how to make a satisfying picture.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:59 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Oh if I could ban people from this forum, bradley would be the first.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:43 am
Hold the door!

I think I'll raise my grade to C/C-. It's rarely boring, which is something Rogue One couldn't achieve. Even if it is a remake of a perfect movie.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:29 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Ahh, changing your grade because of another movie that has nothing to do with this one.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 pm
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Ahh, changing your grade because of another movie that has nothing to do with this one.

I just think I've been too hard on it.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:45 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is still, hands down, the best movie in this entire "cinematic universe."

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 am
Profile YIM
now we know

thompsoncory wrote:
This is still, hands down, the best movie in this entire "cinematic universe."

It is, yes.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Biggestgeekever wrote:
First scene of episode 8 will reveal Snoke is Yoda sized

I would have bet on this too.

Magnus wrote:
killing Luke better be fucking earned in SW8. SW7 is literally all about finding him. He better die for a real good reason and not go out like Solo.

All bets are off.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:06 am

He has created a myth that has sparked inspiration

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:23 pm
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
This is still, hands down, the worst movie in this entire "cinematic universe."

:thumbsup:

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm
Superfreak

*Serious Excel*

I think this film & the reception of TLJ speak strongly to an interesting place that moviegoing society has arrived at. I won't play the silly game of pretending THE LAST JEDI was poorly received. However, there is a clear disparity between the reception of these two among select factions of the fanbase.

For many viewers (or in this case, Star Wars fanboys) nowadays, they are not seeking new thrills or experiences as much as they are simply looking to relive past ones. They opt for the much safer approach even though the high from it so much lower than the other. It is difficult to imagine how a film like EMPIRE STRIKES BACK would truly be received by todays audiences given how radically it went against preset expectations. It is revealing, interesting, and totally disappointing that so many SW fans are rejecting the very approach which made the series great and has driven countless other tales forward. The lack of awareness and abundance of hypocrisy is annoying.

Few freaked out on Abrams when Han Solo died even though it did not mean much to the plot (at least what the films have shown). There was little complaining about what this film does to ROTJ given that their victory in that film was clearly short lived and the 3 original characters all ultimately ended up exactly where they started ANH. It is not possible for a rational person to rewatch the OT and view even close to the same knowing that the Dark Side rises stronger than ever a short time later, Han and Leia break up and return to where they were before, and Luke goes off to live alone. All the development in the OT was ultimately in vein. These are epic, ridiculous plot devices which never should have happened yet nobody cared. BUT - have Kylo go uber-alpha and kill the leader to take power (something even Vader was not strong enough to do) or have Luke surpass Yoda in death as the most powerful Jedi ever?

This movie is a shiny, entertaining, repackaged version of the original. It is fun and enjoyable, However, from an artistic integrity level, it is difficult to respect something so pathetically unoriginal.

Just my thoughts.

Excel wrote:
My theater was about 90% full.at 7:00 but the atmosphere was electric. I remain 110% convinced that main stream buzz for this is well below either TDK film or Avengers or Potter 8. The crowd was 110% geeks- I saw NOONE from high school/college aged normal group. I think this drops like a rock going forward.

AnyWoo, TFA ends up being dramatically different than the prequels but not that much more enjoyable. If the prequels hurt the OT reputation by association, this kills the OT in many ways because we know how they ended up and its...not good.

Major gripes:

Spoiler: show
-To me, it will be impossible to view the OT.the same knowing what comes next. They didnt really defeat anyone, all the main characters ended up basically as they were in the beginning - alone, with only Luke having.seemingly progressed in life.

-I hate how much of a rip off this of ANH. This does not require.explanation. The whole thing is so.predictable.

-The death of Han Solo is horrible, means nada to the plot as Magnus pointed out, and was just a ridiculous emotional play. Han was everybody's favorite character from the OT and he goes out like such a bitch. Not Obi-Wan, knowing the death will only enhance Luke's strength. He just gets owned by his "rogue son". That whole scene was well executed, sure, but in context just terrible.

Things I liked:

-Ridley is great

-The last saber battle is awesome. It actually feels like a sword fight instead of some ultra choreographed piece of shit. It's a billion times better than the absurdity of any of the prequels fights:

Shockingly, I think Abrams blew this one. In the long run, I don't expect this to be that highly thought of. Its better than TPM and AOTC but I wouldn't say this is better than Sith AT ALL.

Amen.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Ha, I'm glad somebody made that a GIF, I kind of love ROTS, but I that final lightsaber battle is so fucking horrible at times.

And I want to credit Lucas because I get what he is trying to do, but it is just so stupid.

"It's over! I have the high ground"

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm
We had our time together

I appreciate this now even more.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Excel wrote:
My theater was about 90% full.at 7:00 but the atmosphere was electric. I remain 110% convinced that main stream buzz for this is well below either TDK film or Avengers or Potter 8. The crowd was 110% geeks- I saw NOONE from high school/college aged normal group. I think this drops like a rock going forward.

AnyWoo, TFA ends up being dramatically different than the prequels but not that much more enjoyable. If the prequels hurt the OT reputation by association, this kills the OT in many ways because we know how they ended up and its...not good.

Major gripes:

Spoiler: show
-To me, it will be impossible to view the OT.the same knowing what comes next. They didnt really defeat anyone, all the main characters ended up basically as they were in the beginning - alone, with only Luke having.seemingly progressed in life.

-I hate how much of a rip off this of ANH. This does not require.explanation. The whole thing is so.predictable.

-The death of Han Solo is horrible, means nada to the plot as Magnus pointed out, and was just a ridiculous emotional play. Han was everybody's favorite character from the OT and he goes out like such a bitch. Not Obi-Wan, knowing the death will only enhance Luke's strength. He just gets owned by his "rogue son". That whole scene was well executed, sure, but in context just terrible.

Things I liked:

-Ridley is great

-The last saber battle is awesome. It actually feels like a sword fight instead of some ultra choreographed piece of shit. It's a billion times better than the absurdity of any of the prequels fights:

Shockingly, I think Abrams blew this one. In the long run, I don't expect this to be that highly thought of. Its better than TPM and AOTC but I wouldn't say this is better than Sith AT ALL.

Disregarding the LOL-worthy first paragraph, pretty much everything came true

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:18 pm
Superfreak

Excel wrote:

I think this film & the reception of TLJ speak strongly to an interesting place that moviegoing society has arrived at. I won't play the silly game of pretending THE LAST JEDI was poorly received. However, there is a clear disparity between the reception of these two among select factions of the fanbase.

For many viewers (or in this case, Star Wars fanboys) nowadays, they are not seeking new thrills or experiences as much as they are simply looking to relive past ones. They opt for the much safer approach even though the high from it so much lower than the other. It is difficult to imagine how a film like EMPIRE STRIKES BACK would truly be received by todays audiences given how radically it went against preset expectations. It is revealing, interesting, and totally disappointing that so many SW fans are rejecting the very approach which made the series great and has driven countless other tales forward. The lack of awareness and abundance of hypocrisy is annoying.

Few freaked out on Abrams when Han Solo died even though it did not mean much to the plot (at least what the films have shown).

There was little complaining about what this film does to ROTJ given that their victory in that film was clearly short lived and the 3 original characters all ultimately ended up exactly where they started ANH.

It is not possible for a rational person to rewatch the OT and view even close to the same knowing that the Dark Side rises stronger than ever a short time later, Han and Leia break up and return to where they were before, and Luke goes off to live alone. All the development in the OT was ultimately in vein.

These are epic, ridiculous plot devices which never should have happened yet nobody cared.

BUT - have Kylo go uber-alpha and kill the leader to take power (something even Vader was not strong enough to do) or have Luke surpass Yoda in death as the most powerful Jedi ever?

This movie is a shiny, entertaining, repackaged version of the original. It is fun and enjoyable, However, from an artistic integrity level, it is difficult to respect something so pathetically unoriginal.

Just my thoughts.

yup basically

Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

In pro wrestling the term “cheap pop” is used for when you do something that makes people cheer in the moment (like shouting out their city, or to some extent flippy moves), but it doesn’t have a deeper impact on how much they like your character. The opposite is cheap heat where if you say a city’s sports team sucks you’ll get an easy boo, but the real good villain characters find more substantial ways for the audience to hate their characters, and not just hate what they said.

I think The Force Awakens nostalgia was a cheap pop

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:29 pm
The Kramer

The Empire rising again didn’t have to be a huge issue. Rian Johnson kind of owned that by saying that just because you kill the Sith lords doesn’t mean the dark side is just going to go away. And Luke trying to just take things back to the way they were before, with the Republic and Jedi Order, was a problem since there is a flaw in the system itself.

But instead they were like nope, Palpatine was behind it all.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:14 pm
Hold the door!

The Rise of Skywalker gives me an appreciation for this film. At least this film was coherent and left room for an interesting future in episodes 8-9 that was never realized.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:39 pm
Superfreak

If I were a true Star Wars fan, by far the most upsetting part of the entire ST would be where the original trio started in TFA. Solo was back smuggling with Chewbaca, Leia was by herself helping the resistance fight the empire, and Luke was isolated and alone. Nearly all of the character development with them in the OT was undone in the year between. Additionally, some time terrible personal events happened to them. I get that this served Abrams story but it is pretty shitty. It has become very clear that nerds were just blinded by "OMG Star Wars IS BACK" sentiment and were initially oblivious to these obvious issues.

That is really a crazy decision in hindsight that really altered the dynamic of the ST for the worse.

-They shield have kept Han and Leia together - maybe have their paths of the new hero's intersect with Solo and Leia when they're searching for their son. Separating them was just lame.

-They could have still done the "bringing Luke out of retirement" dynamic too.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next