Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Star Wars: The Force Awakens 

What grade would you give this film?
A 49%  49%  [ 21 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 43

You must have big rats

Post Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Quote:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a 2015 American epic[discuss] space opera film directed, co-produced, and co-written by J. J. Abrams. The seventh installment in the main Star Wars film series, it stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Max von Sydow. The Force Awakens is set approximately 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi,[5] where the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire have become the Resistance and the First Order, respectively,[6] and follows new leads Finn, Rey, and Poe Dameron alongside characters returning from previous Star Wars films.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
It's TEH SHIT

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, it's pretty good.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:44 pm
You must have big rats

Finn is Chewie's son.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Racist.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:31 pm
Extraordinary

I liked it, not as good as any of the OT but still good, it had some good humor in it and the pace was fast.
As for the story, look, there was a lot of similarities with a new hope, too much IMO.
The new cast of heroes have great chemistry together and the old heroes still have it(atleast Han,chewie and leia). But the one thing that i have to say dissapointed me was Kylo Ren, he's a weak villain, he acts more like an angry teenager than anything else and he's not imposing at all, i think he was a huge miss.

All in all a good time.

B+

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Easily my favorite of any of the films in the franchise. It's incredibly fun and entertaining and directed with great confidence by J.J. Abrams, who makes this feel very fresh and accessible to a new audience. A big reason I enjoyed it so much was because of the new cast members, who are across-the-board fantastic. Daisy Ridley is going to be a huge superstar and her character is a major reason this movie succeeds as much as it does. Coming off as a dead ringer for Keira Knightely at certain points, she is the heart and soul of this film and delivers a rousing, charismatic lead performance that puts her in the upper echelon of action movie heroines. I absolutely loved her character. Also fantastic is John Boyega, who is incredibly likable and charming and shares fantastic chemistry with Ridley. I completely rooted for both of their characters. Oscar Isaac is also great in a role that I'm sure will be expanded on in future installments, and Lupita N'yongo has a brief but memorable motion capture role as someone I'm sure will become a franchise staple. Of the returning cast members Harrison Ford easily has the most to do and is essentially a co-lead amongst Boyega and Ridley - he does a great job. BB-8 is also a great new character that is a merchandiser's dream come true. The action sequences are incredibly well staged and exciting, and the characters have very fleshed out and believable arcs that all come to a head by the end of the film. I'm actually excited to see where the story goes after this film and am 100% onboard with any version of this franchise that features involvement from Abrams, Ridley, Boyega or Isaac. A-

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:29 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Rey is such a fantastic character and even if this franchise generally isn't my thing I think it's such a HUGE and important step forward in terms of the film industry as a whole how self-sufficient and awesome her character is.

Spoiler: show
I mean, she gets the best fight scene in the movie.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:33 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

thompsoncory wrote:
Easily my favorite of any of the films in the franchise. It's incredibly fun and entertaining and directed with great confidence by J.J. Abrams, who makes this feel very fresh and accessible to a new audience. A big reason I enjoyed it so much was because of the new cast members, who are across-the-board fantastic. Daisy Ridley is going to be a huge superstar and her character is a major reason this movie succeeds as much as it does. Coming off as a dead ringer for Keira Knightely at certain points, she is the heart and soul of this film and delivers a rousing, charismatic lead performance that puts her in the upper echelon of action movie heroines. I absolutely loved her character. Also fantastic is John Boyega, who is incredibly likable and charming and shares fantastic chemistry with Ridley. I completely rooted for both of their characters. Oscar Isaac is also great in a role that I'm sure will be expanded on in future installments, and Lupita N'yongo has a brief but memorable motion capture role as someone I'm sure will become a franchise staple. Of the returning cast members Harrison Ford easily has the most to do and is essentially a co-lead amongst Boyega and Ridley - he does a great job. BB-8 is also a great new character that is a merchandiser's dream come true. The action sequences are incredibly well staged and exciting, and the characters have very fleshed out and believable arcs that all come to a head by the end of the film. I'm actually excited to see where the story goes after this film and am 100% onboard with any version of this franchise that features involvement from Abrams, Ridley, Boyega or Isaac. A-

Abrams is out after this one.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I know but I trust Rian Johnson too. And I feel like Abrams has at least a hand in what's going to happen next (like he does with the Mission: Impossible movies).

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:42 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

From the interviews I read, it is more like that Abrams had to change some stuff in his films in order to fit Johnson's vision.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I think in the minds of those who grew up with the OT, it is simply impossible to beat it (or at least the first two, I suppose). No matter what, it is simply impossible. No one will ever dare to say "This was better than Empire Strikes Back". I am not suggesting that it is, just saying that it would NEVER happen.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
it isnt even just OT. Episode III > Episode VII

i know im gonna get a lot of heat for that but i firmly believe it.

Because you are doing a Chippy now.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
She could easily be the best Star Wars character ever when its all said and done.

In part because you would really really really really really like to bang her.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I think in the minds of those who grew up with the OT, it is simply impossible to beat it (or at least the first two, I suppose). No matter what, it is simply impossible. No one will ever dare to say "This was better than Empire Strikes Back". I am not suggesting that it is, just saying that it would NEVER happen.

Dunno, once I see it I might say that.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:07 am
You must have big rats

You do not count.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
You do not count.

Yes I count as someone.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:12 am
You must have big rats

Jesus Christ, you unleashed War and Peace there.

Quote:
his motivations are never really shown

Ever thought that they are saving it for the sequels?

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I give it an A- right now. It is at least the 3rd best Star Wars film better than Jedi and Sith. It does a great job to set up for the next two films which is what it is suppose to do.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Soooo good! :D lots of surprises.
I need to see it again tomorrow to fully grasps it.

First reaction it's fucking great.

A++++

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:57 am
Extraordinary

Loved it.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:59 am
Extraordinary

I need to decompress before giving it a grade. I spent the last 20 minutes basically shaking.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:10 am
Pure Phase

The seventh entry in the Star Wars saga, arguably the most iconic film franchise ever, is a boisterous and smooth entertainment, but I find one fact very deflating: it finds almost nothing fresh or inventive to do with George Lucas' universe. It is a busily supercharged facsimile of the 38-year-old A New Hope. A disenfranchised youth on a desert planet who does not realize how important he or she is to the in-crisis galaxy at large. A baritone-voiced, red-light-saber-wielding antagonist in sable armor. A world-destroying mega-spacecraft, freshly constructed and with only one point vulnerable to aerial assault by a rebellious resistance force. And on top of this, there is the ample fan service: those moments at which the film almost pauses so we can, say, applaud the return of C-3PO or the reveal of a "new" rough-and-rowdy alien bar. There are highlights and pleasures—Harrison Ford spryly reprising Han Solo, lustrous cinematography, John Williams' trumpets and strings—but it is too ensconced in nostalgic fandom to be elevating or vital. It is at once pleasant and...dull?

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:14 am
Pure Phase

I was disappointed by Oscar Isaac's scant screen time. And Domhnall Gleeson, of whom I am a fan, is sadly and oddly a bit horrible as the milquetoast Evil General (or Peter Cushing stand-in).

...and Mark Hamill's appearance as Pensive Samurai Highlander Luke Skywalker made me laugh... Worst final shot of a Star Wars film for sure.

Adam Driver delivers an interesting performance, though, and Keir...Daisy Ridley is cute and talented.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:17 am
Pure Phase

Eh, highlight-to-read text, spoiler tags. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Besides, spoilers are fair game in this section, and I do not feel compelled to act as if Star Wars is this holy grail requiring more secrecy than any other film.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 431 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next