Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Sound of Music 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Sound of Music 
College Boy Z

Post The Sound of Music
The Sound of Music

Quote:
Rodgers and Hammerstein's The Sound of Music is a 1965 American musical film directed by Robert Wise and starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. The film is based on the Broadway musical The Sound of Music, with songs written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, and with the musical book written by the writing team of Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. Ernest Lehman wrote the screenplay.

The musical originated with the book The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp. It contains many popular songs, including "Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Do-Re-Mi", "Sixteen Going on Seventeen", and "The Lonely Goatherd", as well as the title song.

The movie version was filmed on location in Salzburg, Austria; Bavaria in Southern Germany; and at the 20th Century Fox Studios in California. It was photographed in 70mm Todd-AO by Ted D. McCord. It won a total of five Academy Awards including Best Picture in 1965 and is one of the most popular musicals ever produced. The cast album was nominated for a Grammy Award for Album of the Year.

Adjusted for inflation, it made $1.046 billion domestically (at 2010 prices), putting it third on the list of all-time inflation-adjusted box office hits, behind Gone with the Wind and Star Wars. In 2001, the United States Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the National Film Registry as it was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

I've seen it, people. Don't worry. :shock:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:54 pm
Team Kris

Guilty. guilty. guilty pleasure of mine. Could've been trimmed a little bit, but I still enjoyed it mainly because of the Von Trapp kids, the nuns, and Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer's chemistry.

As far as musicals set in Nazi Germany, this is my second favorite. Cabaret being the first.

Wait, there were only two musicals set in that time period, right? :oops: Or no? Hehe.

A-

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:23 am
scifi guru

"the hills are alive, with the sound of music!!!!, with songs they have sung, for a thousand years!!"

"It's as if you're playing left-handed. Or like everyone else is playing with a tennis racket and you have a salmon. I moan about it a lot."

-Hugh Laurie about acting with an american accent.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Sound of Music
I actually only saw its well-known segments here and there before, so it's nice to revisit its entirety last night on ABC, especially now I visited Salzburg in May. Just a blast; not only songs are memorable, but the kids, the story, the chemistry, the sweetness, the cinematography... It energized me to no end.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Sound of Music
The songs in this are great, so many classics. This makes up for the lack of plot, for the most part. Often, this causes it to feel very slow, and the film probably should have been shorter, but who can really resist this uplifting, joyous film? It has a Christmasy holiday feel to it, even without any holiday elements. Definitely a movie you pop in to feel good.

A

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]