Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Truth (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Truth (2015) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Truth (2015)
Truth (2015)

Quote:
Truth is a 2015 American political docudrama film written and directed by James Vanderbilt, his directorial debut. It is based on American journalist and television news producer Mary Mapes' memoir Truth and Duty: The Press, the President and the Privilege of Power. The film focuses on the Killian documents controversy and the last days of news anchor Dan Rather and producer Mary Mapes at CBS News. It stars Cate Blanchett as Mapes and Robert Redford as Rather.

Truth had its world premiere at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. It is released in the United States by Sony Pictures Classics, beginning in limited release on October 16, 2015.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Truth (2015)
The bluntly titled Truth is rather unconvincing, but still an entertaining and polished journalistic drama, one definitely elevated by a fantastic lead performance by Cate Blanchett. She plays a seasoned CBS News producer who prepares a story regarding potential dereliction of duty on the part of President George W. Bush during his time in the Texas Air National Guard in the early 1970s. Presented by legendary newsman among newsmen Dan Rather, played by Robert Redford, the story airs on 60 Minutes as Bush campaigns for his second term. Pride turns to anxiety, however, as the Bush campaign and rival news divisions question the authenticity of the documents upon which the story is predicated. It becomes clear the partisan furor could sideline more than one career, including the venerable host's. At a few points, Truth's well-intended, old-fashioned liberal idealism verges on self-parody: there is a montage of diverse Americans watching Rather's fateful newscast with wide eyes, each frozen in awe and fascination, as if it were a lunar landing or the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Please. And even as a sympathetic viewer open to agitprop reflecting on the dubious Bush administration, I suspect the inception of CBS' Guard investigation involved more shrewd election-cycle anger and bias than this portrayal allows. But despite its flaws, the film is highly involving when it focuses on a fiery and focused Blanchett telephoning sources, pouring over editorial minutiae, arguing with her superiors, etc. She gives the production vigor and a center of gravity. And the Redford-as-Rather gambit yields a largely fine result: there is a testier quality to Rather which the more charismatic Redford cannot conjure with precision, but the iconic American actor's well-burnished gravitas compensates for the absence of any resemblance.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 am
Forum General

A-

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Whilst being a story I don't really care about, I love investigative parts in general. The movie gets me into it from the get go, and tells the real life events in an entertaining matter. Vanderbilt does a very good job with the script. Once the story takes a turn where the investigators become the ones that are being investigated, it becomes lacklustre, which brings me back to the point that it wasn't such an interesting event that a movie should be made about it. What makes it excel in the end though is the excellent cast. Blanchett and Redford are simply great, Quaid, the girl from mad men and also Topher Grace (surprisingly) are nearly just as good. I could feel the heart of the film in the end.

A-

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]