Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Everest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Everest 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Everest
Everest

Quote:
Everest is a 2015 American 3D biographical disaster drama and adventure thriller film directed by Baltasar Kormákur and written by William Nicholson and Simon Beaufoy. The film stars Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, John Hawkes, Robin Wright, Michael Kelly, Sam Worthington, Keira Knightley, Emily Watson, and Jake Gyllenhaal.

The film is set for a September 18, 2015 release date. It is based on the real events of the 1996 Mount Everest disaster. It will focus on the summit and survival attempts of two expedition groups, the one led by Scott Fischer (played by Gyllenhaal), and the one led by Rob Hall (played by Clarke).

Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Everest
Wow, film impressed me from the start. I didn't know anything about the actual event the film was based on, and I think that helped in how it caught me by surprise. I did see a trailer a few months back, and if it wasn't for the cast would just expect something average. As far a films with a similar location go, I thought Vertical Limit was a bit fun but overall average. I would call Cliffhanger the best film I've seen taking place on a mountain, but now Everest did surpass it. The film really got to me, in terms of the angst of the people in survival mode. Also the roles the helpless people played back home was adding good emotional drama. The film's been cast greatly for sure, Gyllenhaal absolutely nails his role as the cocky climber, and Worthington in a small roll really, fills it in amazingly well. The best I've seen from him so far. And everyone else was good too. Clarke greatly chosen for the lead as well. The film has a great score, some nice songs, and the effects couldn't be more real. The mountain is probably the biggest star of the film, and it's cinematography is spot on. What I felt the film missed, was a bit more of a deeper insight on the feelings of the climbers on the mountain, the difficulty in achieving the top from an physical standpoint seemed disparaged at times.

The characters in this film suffered though, due to unpredictable effects of nature. And especially for the lives lost, I felt chills through my body. As well as for incredible survival of others. I also felt the images of the actual people involved and how some of their stories ended a bit sloppily done, and it could have been without it for me. But aside from that, this film is an absolute winner for me. I wasn't sure if Kormakur was the right man for the job, but he's pretty much flawless, and without a doubt just directed his best film. It's a great adventure drama I felt totally consumed by.

A

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:09 am
You must have big rats

I wonder if knowing about the actual event (which I did) and thus knoweing who lives and who dies killed the suspense for me.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was visually breathtaking, especially seeing it in IMAX. The cinematography is fantastic as are the visual effects, especially considering the budget was fairly low for this sort of film. The movie itself is an incredibly effective thrill-ride that harkens back to the days of old school disaster movies. It's very obvious how things are going to play out but this movie fully utilizes its ensemble cast and gives everyone a little something to do. It's a who's-who of great actors and all of them manage to give roles that might have otherwise been stock characters a lot of depth (Keira Knightley delivers arguably one of the movie's most emotionally effective performances in what would have otherwise been a typical "worried-wife-on-the-phone" role for example). Jason Clarke was fantastic, and I also thought Jake Gyllenhaal, Emily Watson and Sam Worthington were standouts. Highly recommended. A-

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:43 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Harrowing and visually stunning, Everest is surprisingly restrained and low-key for a disaster flick. I really liked how the film kind of built slowly without ever going over-the-top. It all feels very matter of fact without much added melodrama. B+

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:22 am
Pure Phase

Everest is a big, rousing, square, and well-crafted adventure film dramatizing a tragic expedition on the Himalayan behemoth in the spring of 1996. Similar to 1970s disaster hits The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno, the film is crowded wall-to-wall with A-list stars and recognizable faces, including Jason Clarke (as Kiwi mountaineer and tour guide Rob Hall), Josh Brolin, John Hawkes, Robin Wright, Sam Worthington, Keira Knightley, Emily Watson, and a charismatic, if underutilized Jake Gyllenhaal as Hall's friendly rival Scott Fischer. The tone, however, is a shade more realistic and funereal than such Irwin Allen-produced fare. The film briefly flirts with a type of niche social commentary—Hall and Fischer earn their living doing what they love, but are rapidly transforming a dangerous and sacred spot into a busy, noisy, and litter-strewn extreme-tourism destination—but it is largely concerned with exhibiting the magnetism of its cast, populating the screen with snow-swept spectacle, and illuminating moment-to-moment decisions (a few wise, many ill-advised) by the climbers regarding technique and pace. And it does what it sets out to do quite well, firmly holding my attention from start to finish and almost earning a tear or two as fates are sealed and Dario Marianelli's original score swells. There are a few points when comprehending who is whom...and what they are doing...and why becomes rather confusing due to the obfuscating blur of the weather and the many layers of clothing and gear, but it is hard to tell whether this is an artistic failing or a type of enhancement, drawing the audience into the mountainside chaos and desperation.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:23 am
Pure Phase

I am rather glad I saw this in 2-D. There are definitely key shots which scream, "This is made for 3-D and its sense of depth," but more of it is quite intimately presented, with lots of cuts and closeups. And the third act is very darkly lit for obvious reasons.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:26 am
You must have big rats

David wrote:
There are a few points when comprehending who is whom...and what they are doing...and why becomes rather confusing due to the obfuscating blur of the weather and the many layers of clothing and gear, but it is hard to tell whether this is an artistic failing or a type of enhancement, drawing the audience into the mountainside chaos and desperation.

Yeah, this is true. Once the storm hits, you don't really know who is who and where.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:40 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

David wrote:
I am rather glad I saw this in 2-D. There are definitely key shots which scream, "This is made for 3-D and its sense of depth," but more of it is quite intimately presented, with lots of cuts and closeups. And the third act is very darkly lit for obvious reasons.

Some of the 3d is jarring. A close-up of a dimly lit Kiera Knightly crying into a phone was just strange and almost exploitative. Obviously the landscape shots were somewhat worth it but would be better in IMAX.

I liked it. Anatoly comes off better in the film than Into Thin Air and glad it focused on Rob Hall rather than Krakauer.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Gamaur wrote:
especially Emily Blunt

She was really good, especially considering she did not even star in the film :lol:

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Gamaur wrote:
Subjectively objectively speaking

lol

Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:23 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It definitely has its fair share of suspense, the ensemble work well together and some of the shots are beautiful, despite seeing it in just 2D, but overall I felt there was just something missing to make it memorable or to seek it out again.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

This really deserved to do better at the boxoffice. I even liked it more than The Martian, but I guess I can understand why it didn't connect with GA. It's definitely a film made to see in IMAX even though I enjoyed it just as much in regular 2D. It's also quite slow paced and not much really happens until about an hour in, but when shit does hit the fan it delivers, and I found the entire second half to be a thrilling, emotional, roller coaster ride. The cast was aces even if some are reduced to only small supporting roles and the film is just a stunner to look at.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:45 pm
Keeping it Light

I saw this again over the weekend. Still a winner for me, but some of the suspense was missing this time around, so I'd judge that it isn't a film that gets better over time. I did get the chance to pay attention to some other details around this time which I appreciated, and still the best film of the year. The soundtrack is simply sublime.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 am
now we know

Many people have climbed Mount Everest now, and this has somewhat watered down the enormity of the challenge. But this film very well re-establishes it as a true feat again, and also of man's determination to conquer its natural world. Everest, however, is a fairly bog standard up-and-down story, and the narrative really holds the viewer's hand as it unfolds. The intensity coasts along, but rarely does it excite or move, which can only be seen as a misstep with such a sad and heroic story. Jason Clarke is very good as Rob Hall, and possibly the only standout performance. Gyllenhaal, a favourite of mine in recent years, makes a welcome supporting turn but fails in urging me to up my praise. But it was a nice cast overall. Lacking Hollywood money shots in favour of authenticity was perhaps a mistake. Good, but with films such as Touching the Void, Vertical Limit, Alive, and Cliffhanger covering similar ground, Everest never feels fresh or adds anything that improves the genre. It is just an account of an expedition and a circle jerk for a few climbers.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

What a surprise. Algren agrees with the consensus ;)

and
Algren wrote:
an account of a circle jerk for a few climbers.

Exactly what I loved about it!

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:22 pm
now we know

Changing this to a C+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

lol

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:49 pm
Superman: The Movie

I probably had to see this on the big screen. The movie had me for about the first hour or so, but right around the time John Hawkes literally drops out of the picture, it just kind of stopped working for me. I think the biggest problem for me is that most of the death's aren't handled well. We see JG shut his eyes and then I think his body is revisited once more? And I was convinced Jason Clarke was still alive until we saw him frozen... which was a weird note to end the movie on.

**½ (C+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The movie is nowhere near as good as the story it's based on. The Imax was good for the subject but the 3D darkened the whole thing to the color of dirty slush, and you couldn't get the Imax without the 3D. If I saw it again, which I have absolutely no desire to, I'd see it in 2D. *C*

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 am
Hold the door!

This movie was okay, but it lacked any sort of artistry. It felt like an obligatory movie that had to get made at some point. It is engaging in parts, dull in others. I fell asleep around an hour and 15 minutes in, but the ending held my attention.

C+

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:20 pm
now we know

zwack nails it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:18 am
Profile WWW