Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Vacation (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Vacation (2015) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Vacation (2015)
Vacation (2015)

Quote:
Vacation is a 2015 American comedy film directed and written by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein (in their directorial debuts). The film stars Ed Helms, Christina Applegate, Leslie Mann, and Chris Hemsworth. It is the fifth theatrical and the seventh total installment of the National Lampoon's Vacation series, and was released by Warner Bros. on July 29, 2015.

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:14 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Vacation (2015)
Funny enough, about on par with We're The Millers (Which I always found overrated) There are some pretty big laugh out loud moments. There's also a few dragging moments, and the end is a little meh (needed something more than WalleyWorld, as the pay off in the end isn't nearly as fun as the original) but more than enough for me to be game for a sequel (Maybe a new take on Christmas which could mean a lot more fun secondary characters)

Outside of a few references and Papa's and Mama Griswold's very small roles, it's hardly a sequel to the rest of the series. The cast is pretty solid, and it never got boring. It' never reaches the heights of Christmas or the original, but it's R rating brings and edginess and some disgusting humor to make it more memorable than European and Vegas.

B+

I'll also note that the young kid is one of the craziest little shits I've ever seen. Like he's clearly a sociopath and everyone kind of just shrugs it off, lol

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:49 pm
Sbil

Less a movie than a series of set pieces which are more miss than hit. Ed Helms and Christina Applegate give it their all, though. C-

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:02 pm
Superman: The Movie

I laughed. Quite a bit too.

*** (B)

1. Vacation (1983)
2. Christmas

3. Vacation (2015)
4. European

5. Vegas

Favorite joke that didn't get a laugh from anyone in the theater except for me - When Rusty is scrolling through the photos on his computer and comes across the photos from his previous "Vacations" continuing the series tradition about it not giving any fucks about the Russ and Audrey continuity.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I had a good time with this. I laughed quite a bit throughout and eventhough I haven't seen Trainwreck yet I know I won't enjoy it as much. I'd say this is definitely my 3rd favorite Vacation movie after the original and Christmas.

I wouldn't mind a sequel either.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:34 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was painful. Ed Helms and Christina Applegate are sensational comedic actors but they are so wasted here. None of the big set pieces work and almost every character is annoying as hell. The children are insufferable. Leslie Mann and Chris Hemsworth probably give the best performances in the movie and they're only in it for about 5-10 minutes. The script is atrocious, vulgar, and doesn't feel like the original Vacation movies at all. Easily one of the year's worst. D+

Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:24 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

This isn't horrible, but its certainly not great. There were several laugh out loud moments, but there are too many cliches and the young kid has to be the worst character ever.

C

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:23 am
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah I'd say laughs overall on the worst ones, which are still decent, are among the series best, but films overall of the Otto ale are bett r as there is ad less coherent plots

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The "Kiss from a Rose" gag is so dated and unfunny. I couldn't believe they used it as much as they did.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:41 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Thegun wrote:
Yeah I'd say laughs overall on the worst ones, which are still decent, are among the series best, but films overall of the Otto ale are bett r as there is ad less coherent plots

Is it just me or is Thegun reaching new levels of coherence lately?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:07 am
New Server, Same X

What a fucking trainwreck. I can't believe anyone who is at all a fan of the original films could create this horrific, unfunny mess. Every big "LOL!!!" moment is set up miles before you get to the "laugh". And despite its own ridiculous brand of comedy, the original Vacation and its sequels had some level of genuine moments that felt relatable. Well, maybe not Vegas Vacation.

But this Vacation isn't even as good as Vegas Vacation. Every part of this is ridiculous. A flirting hot girl crashes and gets killed on the highway! HA! Their car key has a plethora of unintelligible buttons, including a swastika! Too funny. Rusty tells his kids they found a glory hole in a bathroom, but doesn't know what a rimjob is. Hilarious. Ed Helms even gets his Chevy Chase, end-of-his-rope rant, and fails spectacularly. This all but confirms Ed Helms shouldn't be a leading man, ever. Not in this type of role.

If I try really hard to come up with any positives, Christina Applegate is as predictably good as she can be, but she's never given much to do. Charlie Day has a decent cameo that lets him be his usual Charlie Day self. And it never lingers long enough in any scene to drag. But a comedy should be, first and foremost, funny. And it's just not. By the time we get to Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo, the film has long since been deflated and their appearance means nothing.

Grade: D-

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]