Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Mr. Holmes 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Mr. Holmes 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mr. Holmes
Mr. Holmes

Quote:
Mr. Holmes is a 2015 crime drama mystery film directed by Bill Condon, based on the 2005 novel A Slight Trick of the Mind written by Mitch Cullin and featuring the character Sherlock Holmes created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The film stars Ian McKellen as Sherlock Holmes, Laura Linney as housekeeper Mrs. Munro and Milo Parker as her son Roger. Set primarily during his retirement, the film follows a 93-year-old Holmes who struggles to recall the details of his final case while his mind begins to deteriorate.

Principal photography began on 5 July 2014, in London. The film had been selected to be screened out of competition at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival and had its premiere on 7 February 2015.

The film was released in British cinemas on 19 June 2015.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mr. Holmes
Quietly powerful. Measured, never in a hurry, I loved it. Ian McKellen and Laura Linney are utterly excellent.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:49 am
Pure Phase

As the onset of senility clouds his mind in post-war England, retired master detective Sherlock Holmes (Ian McKellen) reflects on his final case, a mystery involving a nervous husband, his wife, and her grief after a series of failed pregnancies. Holmes is sure his late colleague Dr. John Watson's streamlined, triumphant literary version of the case is wrong, but he cannot remember how or why. As he pieces together this painful chapter of his past, he also befriends Roger (Milo Parker), the wide-eyed son of his servant (Laura Linney).

Mr. Holmes is a two-tract film. On one hand, it examines memory and regret—and their relationship with aging in general—through the entertaining, audience-enticing lens of popular culture's most beloved crime solver, and there are playful references to the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle canon even if the film may prove tedious to viewers hoping for a resemblance to more hip, supercharged interpretations found recently on screens big and small. On the other hand, it recalls such films as The Go-Between and Atonement: summertime coming-of-age tales in which a conflicted adolescent discovers the complex and perilous nature of adulthood amidst posh and pastoral environments. (There is another subplot, too, involving a complicated trip by Holmes to a nuclear-devastated Japan.) There are points at which the film almost steps on its own toes, a tad overburdened with complication and timeline intricacy, but it is so handsomely mounted and poignant. The venerable McKellen delivers an intelligent, deeply inhabited performance as a great, but flawed man near the end of his life. His every gesture—a mischievous smile here, a solemn glance there—is riveting. He previously delivered arguably the finest performance of his career under the direction of Bill Condon (as openly gay horror director James Whale in Gods and Monsters), and their reunion is most welcome.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:32 am
Forum General

I loved this. I found the pacing similar to Finding Neverland, another movie I loved. It took it's time, but I was always interested. The three main performances are fantastic. Ian McKellen deserves an Oscar nomination, if not win, for this performance.

A

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The acting was good, but the film was dull. This has been a shitty year for lead actor performances, so McKellen is one of the best by default, though he certainly is very good here. But I couldn't get into it.

C

Last edited by zwackerm on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 am
loyalfromlondon

"shifty"

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]