Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Tangerine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Tangerine 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Tangerine
Tangerine

Quote:
Tangerine is a 2015 independent comedy-drama film, written and directed by Sean S. Baker and Chris Bergoch. Baker was inspired to make the film by a donut shop near his home in Hollywood, CA. The film stars Kitana Kiki Rodriguez and Mya Taylor, and James Ransone. The film had its world premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2015. The film was released in a limited release on July 10, 2015 by Magnolia Pictures.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Tangerine
This was fucking awesome. Completely original, stylish, hilarious and super entertaining. The main reason this movie has gotten a ton of buzz is because of its filmmaking style (it's the first project to be filmed entirely on an iPhone) and while that is impressive the story and characters here are what really draw you in. The entire thing is brimming with a madcap energy and a pulsating soundtrack and it never once talks down to the subjects it is portraying despite the seedy lifestyles they lead. It boasts some of the year's funniest lines and sequences, but also has a big heart and the story of Sin-Dee and Alexandra's friendship ends up being incredibly touching. Both Kiki Rodriguez and Mya Taylor are fantastic. The final act does go on a little too long, but there's little else to complain about. This is one of the best movies of the year and easily one of the summer's most entertaining films. A

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:11 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

This sounds great, I'm gonna put it on my to-watch list.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:41 pm
Forum General

This was pretty brilliant and a total surprise. The two leads are fantastic, the direction is super cool and the two leads are just sensational. It's also absolutely HILARIOUS. Can't recommend this one enough.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I just rewatched this tonight. It's not only a surprisingly great Christmas movie, but this is seriously one of the best movies of the year. So, so good. I can't recommend it enough.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:30 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Very entertaining with stellar directing. I felt it was on top of every shot, sound and bit of editing. The two main actresses are great finds. Rodriguez's character has to walk a thin line because it could have been unbearable if done wrong, but she makes it likable. Taylor does a great job as the "straight man" with a lot of quiet internal acting. I thought adding in the subplot of the male taxi driver was a great choice to help add a storyline to the film other than one prostitute dragging another around town, and it tied into the theme of someone who hadn't accepted who they are, plus his role led to a handful of the funniest scenes in the film

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:22 am
Keeping it Light

Just watched this today and wow it's good. It's starts off a bit shaky on the acting for me, but then the score kicks in and the film end ups being such a treat to watch. Great cinematography and well written too. I watched it without subs so the Armenian bits where a bit too tough, and the climax didn't really pay off for me. It's a great experience though with a lot of re-watch value and a fascinating grittiness to it.

A-

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:57 pm
Keeping it Light

And oh yeah, can't recommend it enough!

Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:00 pm
now we know

What the fuck did I just watch?! A day in the life of "tranny faggots". It is just brutal. It was certainly a surprising watch, and one that I appreciate very much for challenging my held views. But this way of life is disgusting, and I didn't enjoy spending 85 minutes with these characters. The subject matter is just horrid. I wish I could say the film was technically the opposite, but it also wasn't wholly to my liking. Baker's inexperience is very much on show with regards to the music; the songs are great but not effectively used. The raw cinematography is, however, a good choice. I didn't hate it, and I think given a bigger budget and a few rewrites that Baker could produce some thought-provoking cinema, but Tangerine is more like a bag of ideas than a feature film.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Glad you watched it and while I understand some, well all, of the disliking of the characters nature, I find it too good of a film to let it affect my appreciation of how well the story is told, connecting cinematography with score and script.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 am
now we know

That's the thing, though. The score is good if listened to in isolation. When attached to film, it needs to evoke certain feelings and emotions that relate to the passage of film you're seeing. This didn't happen with Tangerine. Oftentimes, I felt the music was totally off, or a scene was cut short. Add in my disdain for the characters, and it was a fairly unpleasant viewing experience. Thankfully it is a very short one, so I didn't feel the need to be so harsh on it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Hey stuffp, considering you like gay films, King Cobra is now available for torrent. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:41 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I like good (gay) films.
King Cobra more reeks of the opposite.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:52 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
I like good (gay) films.

No need to watch Moonlight then. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Actually, I did somewhat deliberately didn't watch it last weekend, I had it on my Ipad together with Anthropoid, Birth of a Nation and Nocturnal Animals, which I watched in that order. As of now I have not seen the last 2 Best Picture winner.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]