Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Magic Mike XXL 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Magic Mike XXL 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Magic Mike XXL
Magic Mike XXL

Quote:
Magic Mike XXL is a 2015 American comedy-drama film directed by Gregory Jacobs and starring Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer, and Joe Manganiello. It is the sequel to the 2012 film Magic Mike. The film was released on July 1, 2015.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Magic Mike XXL
As someone who is a giant fan of the original film and thinks it's a terrific little movie with great direction, performances, etc. I must say that I'm a big disappointed in the sequel. The plot of the thing went nowhere and it wasn't terribly interesting through a bit of it's running time. It did have some fun scenes and the original cast was fun and I did enjoy the new cast members though and I had fun, I just wish it came close to the original.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

movies35 wrote:
As someone who is a giant fan of the original film and thinks it's a terrific little movie with great direction, performances, etc. I must say that I'm a big disappointed in the sequel. The plot of the thing went nowhere and it wasn't terribly interesting through a bit of it's running time. It did have some fun scenes and the original cast was fun and I did enjoy the new cast members though and I had fun, I just wish it came close to the original.

B-

Yeah, also a big fan of the original. I assumed the sequel would be just a cash-in since they announced it. I'll wait for the cheap theater.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:30 am
Pure Phase

Three years after leaving the world of male striptease behind to start his own company, Michael "Magic Mike" Lane (Channing Tatum) finds himself a tad bored and frustrated by mainstream life. His girlfriend (Cody Horn, unfortunately not featured here in any capacity) left him after a proposal gone awry, and his entrepreneurial spirit has run headlong into day-to-day hardship and tedium. For a change of pace, he reunites his former Kings of Tampa co-stars (Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello, Kevin Nash, and Adam Rodriguez) on a summertime road trip to Myrtle Beach; their leader and Faustian father figure Dallas (Matthew McConaughey, understandably absent) has emigrated to Macao, and they plan to give an epic final performance at an exotic-dance convention before moving on.

This is a film almost entirely devoid of external conflict or tension: the Kings of Tampa may harbor slight resentment toward the title character for his abrupt exit, but any negativity is rapidly pacified, and the climactic destination, the strip convention, does not seem to be a championship-game type of competition, but rather a showcase where everyone wins, particularly the female crowd. Instead, the focus is on athleticism, camaraderie, intimate moments of slice-of-life road-trip whimsy, and a general tendency toward the uplifting and the uptempo (with, of course, a nocturnal twist). The impact therefore is not as significant as the first film's, which functioned as a cautionary drama and a contemporary economic parable delivered via the ecstasy and camp of a dance film, but the sequel is still a worthy and distinctive ride.

The cast instantly conjure an authentic and electrifying chemistry. The dance sequences are a grandly choreographed blend of the creative, the erotic, and the madcap. (Manganiello steals the show in this department, first with an impromptu convenience-store dance to put a smile on the face of a weary cashier and then with an elaborate, bondage-themed performance partly set to "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails.) The picturesque parade of Southern landscapes and sultry nightclub spaces are photographed with characteristic mood and precision by Steven Soderbergh, who also serves as an executive producer and editor, but cedes the directorial chair itself to long-time protégé Gregory Jacobs. The only notable flaw in this easygoing, crowd-pleasing enterprise is a shoehorned-in "female lead" played rather blandly by the very beautiful Amber Heard; she pops up throughout as if shadowing the Kings of Tampa on their journey, has a short temper (she is a photographic artiste railing against the inauthentic in a very inauthentic way), and shares lengthy, momentum-murdering conversations with Tatum's Mike which never ring true or spring to life with any genuine romantic charm.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:13 pm
Pure Phase

Seriously, very, very fun movie and, in it hyper-relaxed way, a clever follow-up to the more anxious first film, but there is a Hell where the first beach scene between Tatum and Heard is still going on...and on...and on...

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:17 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
Seriously, very, very fun movie and, in it hyper-relaxed way, a clever follow-up to the more anxious first film, but there is a Hell where the first beach scene between Tatum and Heard is still going on...and on...and on...

I thought this was symptomatic of several other scenes too, in particular (and even worse, IMO), the whole stuff in Jada Pinkett Smith's house, when she started showing Mike around. It went on and on and on....

Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I see your point, but I enjoyed those scenes.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 pm
Forum General

The best scene of the movie was by far the gas station scene. Hilarious.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

movies35 wrote:
The best scene of the movie was by far the gas station scene. Hilarious.

Yep, that I agree on. It was actually the only scene that made me laugh outloud, when they started playing the BSB song.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is the best scene, I agree.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:37 am
Extraordinary

I found the first one miles better but this was fun.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:22 pm
Pure Phase

This essay-- https://thedissolve.com/features/exposi ... -mike-xxl/ --reminded me of a thought I had during the film: in real life, those ladies would be pissed when Tito smothers them with chocolate and sprays them with whipped cream. ;)

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:42 am
why so serious?

Paper-thin, but sufficiently enjoyable while it lasts. It definitely doesn't have the character development or surprising level of introspection that the first film did, but the cast and crew are confident enough in just letting the guys interact with one another that it consistently feels loose, breezy, and unencumbered by the need to up the stakes simply because of the fact that the film is a sequel.

B

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:10 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was really entertaining and in my opinion better than the first movie. it doesn't take itself too seriously at all and the actors all seem to be having a great time. B+

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Pretty awful sequel to a lackluster first. They really tried to sex up this sequel, but damn they failed miserably. I didn't even get a semi.

Amber Heard is the only thing worth mentioning in a positive regard. Tatum is dreadful. Some of the dialogue he delivers is with such a monotone thud it's embarrassing. They need to stop making these films now.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re:
Algren wrote:

Amber Heard is the only thing worth mentioning in a positive regard.

Nice. Never thought I'd hear you say that. I really enjoyed her in it. :)

I enjoyed the sequel but prefer the original. It took forever to get going but I really liked the second half.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 pm
now we know

Post Re: Re:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

Amber Heard is the only thing worth mentioning in a positive regard.

Nice. Never thought I'd hear you say that. I really enjoyed her in it. :)

I think it was mainly because everyone else was so bad that she was fine. And her performances are usually God awful, so comparatively she was probably just average here. She was trying at least. I mean, when acting against Channing Tatum, it's hard not to look like Meryl Streep.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]