Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 True Story 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

True Story 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post True Story
True Story

Quote:
True Story is a 2015 American mystery drama film, directed by Rupert Goold and written by Goold and David Kajganich. Based on the memoir of the same name by Michael Finkel, the film stars Jonah Hill, James Franco, Felicity Jones, Gretchen Mol, Betty Gilpin, and John Sharian. Franco plays Christian Longo, a man on the FBI's most wanted list for murdering his wife and three children in Oregon who also hid under the identity of Michael Finkel, a journalist, played by Hill. The film premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and was released theatrically on April 17, 2015 in the United States.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: True Story
Middling and purely surface level, True Story mostly fails to captivate. Its two lead actors, Jonah Hill and James Franco, are also both miscast. C

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm
Pure Phase

True Story is a restrained and slowly burning, yet very riveting meditation on the point at which crime and journalism intersect (the true-crime genre pioneered by Truman Capote with In Cold Blood) and its inherent ethical conundrums. Jonah Hill portrays Michael, an ambitious and widely admired reporter whose star rapidly fades after it is revealed he conflated and toyed with details and personalities to enhance a prestigious cover story. James Franco co-stars as Christian, an Oregon man charged with the brutal murder of his wife and three children. Upon his arrest in Mexico, Christian tells the authorities he is Michael (he later claims to be a fan), and this inexplicable decision unites the two men, both cynics and fabulists in one way or another. Christian agrees to tell his side of a tragic tale, and Michael spots a complicated and even nauseating, but viable chance to revive his career in nonfiction. Previous comic collaborators Hill and Franco are in fine dramatic form, and their lengthy scenes together (the who-is-using-whom? dance of deductive questioning and macabre intellectual seduction) almost play as a dialed-down, more melancholy version of The Silence of the Lambs, which is perfectly welcome. The film is at once thoughtful and quietly creepy, and it generates a considerable amount of suspense without becoming garish or sacrificing its intelligence and integrity. Very satisfying.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 pm
Forum General

I thought it was fine, though incredibly unremarkable. The stand out here was Felicity Jones. Her scene with Franco near the end of the film was easily the best scene of the movie and I wish it went on longer. Hill and Franco are both serviceable, I don't have anything really negative to say about them but nothing overly positive either.

C+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

Watched it again on Blu-ray. This is a very undervalued movie, in my opinion. It is so creepy and tense without sacrificing its low-key, no-bullshit journalistic tone. And both Hill and Franco are terrific.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:24 am
Keeping it Light

True Story is good. It kept me engaged mostly throughout, and is well made from a perspective of sound and cinematography. I liked the lead performances as well. The film especially starts off well, but then while the story plays out I did have some problem with how some flashbacks are introduced at certain times. It loses some of linearity of the film for me. Further the ending felt a bit rushed, and I didn't like the last scene of the book reading. All together it was still pretty fascinating to watch, but comes up short to be really good.

B

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:09 pm
You must have big rats

True Bore

Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]