Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Woman in Gold 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Woman in Gold 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Woman in Gold
Woman in Gold

Quote:
Woman in Gold is a 2015 British-American drama film directed by Simon Curtis and written by Alexi Kaye Campbell. The film stars Dame Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Brühl, Katie Holmes, Tatiana Maslany, Max Irons, Charles Dance, Elizabeth McGovern, and Jonathan Pryce.

The film is based on the true story of the late Maria Altmann, an elderly Jewish refugee, living in Los Angeles who, together with her young lawyer, E. Randol Schoenberg, fought the government of Austria for almost a decade to reclaim Gustav Klimt's iconic painting of her aunt, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I, which was confiscated from her relatives by the Nazis in Vienna just prior to World War II. Altmann took her legal battle all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States, which ruled in her favor in Republic of Austria v. Altmann (2004).

The film was screened in the Berlinale Special Galas section of the 65th Berlin International Film Festival.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Woman in Gold
I actually ended up really enjoying this one. Helen Mirren is fantastic obviously but Ryan Reynolds really surprises here with a wonderful performance. There are definitely some editing issues and it was a bit sloppy but there were plenty of captivating sequences and it was quite entertaining.

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's a fairly simple film with memorable chemistry between Mirren and Reynolds. It had its heart in the right place with appropriate side laughs. I also thought Maslany did really well here. I will agree the editing is a bit off but its not too much of a distraction.

Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

LOL, Austria surely did not get away nicely in this one. I liked the film, very well-acted and well-paced, though the directing is bland.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I liked this more than expected. A good story and pretty well made on the whole. B

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:17 pm
Hold the door!

This was dull and didn't do it for me. It felt like a cross between The Monuments Men and Philomena, and unfortunately, it is worse than both of them. Reynolds feels miscast here, and I was not engrossed in the story until the end. The real standout is Tatiana Maslany, who does a stellar job as a young Helen Mirren, who is also good, but nothing special here. The best part of the movie is the opening with The gold foil art on the wall, everything else is a come down.

C-

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:43 am
Devil's Advocate

This film needed a director, too much of it didn't feel planned artfully especially with the flashbacks balancing the present. Also for much of the movie it feels like the goal to take a painting out of Austria's museum appreciated by everyone to just be in Maria's house or sold or whatever was is no heroic mission or hardly Lincoln freeing the slaves. Why shouldn't the paintings have more value in a museum? Only later does it become more clear it's about the principle that victory becomes more rousing

I loved Mirren and thought it was better than her The Queen role. Her, Reynolds in easily his best performance for me and Maslany def save this

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]