Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hamlet (2000) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Hamlet (2000) 
College Boy Z

Post Hamlet (2000)
Hamlet

Quote:
Hamlet (also referred to as Hamlet 2000) is a 2000 American film written and directed by Michael Almereyda, set in contemporary New York City, and based on the Shakespeare play of the same name. Ethan Hawke plays Hamlet as a film student, Julia Stiles co-stars as Ophelia, Laertes by Liev Schreiber, Uncle Claudius by Kyle MacLachlan, and Polonius by Bill Murray.

In this version of Hamlet, Claudius becomes King and CEO of "Denmark Corporation", having taken over the firm by killing his brother, Hamlet's father.

This adaptation keeps the Shakespearean dialogue but presents a modern setting, with technology such as video cameras, Polaroid cameras, and surveillance bugs. For example, the ghost of Hamlet's murdered father first appears on closed-circuit TV.

Has anyone seen this version of Hamlet? It's the Ethan Hawke version of Hamlet in modern day times. We were watching it for English class (while reading Hamlet... ugh). It wasn't a bad movie or anything, but there's a lot of symbolism in this movie that I didn't quite understand the first time around. I might have to watch it again, but it was... interesting. C+

Thu May 05, 2005 3:29 pm
Golfaholic

Thu May 05, 2005 3:34 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I liked it. I thought it was very inventive and put an interesting twist on the classic story. Both Ethan Hawke and Julia Stiles gave great performances.

7/10 ( B )

Fri May 06, 2005 7:39 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Hamlet (2000)
I forgot to mention I saw this last week.

I thought it was terrible. I could see some of what the director was attempting with the technology, casting Bill Murray, etc., but none of it works. I think the biggest problem is that none of it is believable. The lines all feel forced and I never felt like these were really the characters talking and expressing themselves. That actaully makes me appreciate Lurrhman's Romeo + Juliet more, because while that film has flawed, at least he was able to make the characters believeable when delivering the dialogue. This version falls flat on it's face in that area.

I also thought they made some poor decisions on which scenes to include or not include. They cut the graveyard skull scene, wtf? That's one of the best in the play. And the climax is an absolute joke... :funny:

Above all though, the movie is just dreary and lifeless. There's no spark, no rhythm, no suspense. It's dull and unengaging.

D

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:13 pm
Squee

* (F)

Hate this movie. Especially that butchered ending.

:glare:

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:14 pm
Extraordinary

Wasn't impressed...

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]