Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jupiter Ascending 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Jupiter Ascending 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Jupiter Ascending
I can't believe this movie only came out a week ago, it feels like months.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:30 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was actually really fun. It's a complete mess story-wise - the dialogue makes the relatively simple 'fairy-tale' concept seem so much more complex than it actually is, and this movie honestly feels like the Wachowskis pitched a trilogy of films but Warner Bros. would only give them the money for one. A lot of cool concepts are introduced and then kind of shoved to the side or forgotten about. But the pros outweighed the cons for me and I had a blast with it. I actually really liked Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis, and I thought Eddie Redmayne was fine - I think he was buying into the campiness of this character. Visually, the movie is stunning. It's maybe one of the most gorgeous I've seen in years and you can see every cent of the giant budget on the screen. The action sequences are also well-staged and exciting. It's definitely underrated. I think it's going to become a cult classic of sorts in a couple of years. B+

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:07 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

A sci-fi chase adventure starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis. Oh, if I must. Hollywood creates yet another fantastical world that fails to captivate us about some overlord farming family with issues. The Wachowski Brothers throw everything at this film apart from the ability to make us give a shit about anything that's going on, and the characters, in particular Jupiter. Surprisingly, in a film starring the vacuous Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis is actually the weakest link. She fails to show any sign of wonderment or panic or care that she is on this magical and action-packed pathway to Earth's ultimate prize; the throne. Just nothing but blandness. The first half of the film, while on Earth, is actually good (not brilliant, but solid enough) but then it enters this other world and they force this romance between two of the most zombie-like actors on the planet, and the film is over. The effects in particular are fresh and it comes thick and fast, but the second half loses its way and it becomes another overlong piece of sci-fi babble on the descending career of those Wachowski guys. However, Redmayne plays it cool, and is probably the main attraction.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:08 am
Profile WWW
now we know

MGKC wrote:
How does Sean Bean not die in this??? His role seemed perfectly set up for the typical sacrifice by a supporting character. Maybe Bean made a special request to spare him, just one time...
Yeah, I was also expecting him to die on multiple occasions, but those pesky Wachowski Brothers like to tease.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie was not good. From the trailer, it looked like it might be fun, but the first 45 minutes are just boring. Once she meets Kalique, it gets interesting, but again it gets long winded and noisy for the rest of its over 2 hour run time. Nothing to really recommend here.

D

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 am
now we know

Bradley Witherberry would have loved this.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

This movie is a fun hot mess. I like the actors and concepts, but there's too much crammed in and it feels chopped up. That said, Kunis is gorgeous in this and the special effects are actually my favorite of the year. Every cent is seen on the screen, and the effects are creative too.

B+

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

thompsoncory wrote:
This was actually really fun. It's a complete mess story-wise - the dialogue makes the relatively simple 'fairy-tale' concept seem so much more complex than it actually is, and this movie honestly feels like the Wachowskis pitched a trilogy of films but Warner Bros. would only give them the money for one. A lot of cool concepts are introduced and then kind of shoved to the side or forgotten about. But the pros outweighed the cons for me and I had a blast with it. I actually really liked Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis, and I thought Eddie Redmayne was fine - I think he was buying into the campiness of this character. Visually, the movie is stunning. It's maybe one of the most gorgeous I've seen in years and you can see every cent of the giant budget on the screen. The action sequences are also well-staged and exciting. It's definitely underrated. I think it's going to become a cult classic of sorts in a couple of years. B+

Judging from the sizable fandom on Tumblr, I'd say you're right that the movie will be a cult classic.

Your review pretty much says what I would say in a review; additionally, you graded it what I graded it. Nice to see someone else actually acknowledging that the movie, while flawed, was a good bit of fun.

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is a lot of super awesome meta & analysis to be read on Tumblr:

http://fuckyeahjupiterascending.tumblr. ... eta/chrono
http://fuckyeahjupiterascending.tumblr. ... sis/chrono

My favorite discussions about the movie are about Jupiter herself and how the movie is about family and, most importantly, about CHOICE/AGENCY. Here's a good video about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUoR6v_yuU

PS: The Entitled that Caine bit SO was Balem Abrasax. There's no way it wasn't.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2