Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Rampart 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Rampart 
loyalfromlondon

Post Rampart
Rampart

Quote:
Rampart is a drama film released in 2011. Directed by Oren Moverman and co-written by Moverman and James Ellroy, the film stars Woody Harrelson and Ice Cube. In the midst of the fallout from the Rampart scandal of the 1990s, dirty LAPD veteran Dave Brown is forced to face up to the consequences of his wayward career. The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 10, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:24 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Rampart
I thought it was interesting. Great cast and slick cinematography. Harrelson was great as an incredibly despicable person. My rating would have been a B if, in the end, the movie actually went somewhere. For the most part I found it fairly involving while it lasted, but the next day it proved to be pretty forgettable.

7/10 (B-)

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Rampart
Harrelson is definitely electrifying, but the movie otherwise? I just didn't connect with it. Beneath its muscular style, it feels overwrought and empty. And too many damn famous people doing a whole lot of nothing.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 pm
now we know

I had wanted to see Rampart for a few years now, and I'd even had it downloaded for months, but only today I got around to it. It was a hard watch - quite slow, quite boring, horrible sound mixing, and experimental cinematography made it disappointing. The cast is rather good; Woody Harrelson, Ice Cube, Robin Wright-Penn, Steve Buscemi, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Foster and Anne Heche, and they perform well, I suppose, but the way the film is delivered is not appealing. Although things obviously happen in the film, it just gives you the impression that nothing happens. There's no clear narrative, and I disliked that style. I was hoping for an End of Watch style on-the-ground cop film, and instead I got a lazily produced drama about a scandalous dirt bag.

One thing I find funny is how Woody Harrelson keeps getting these roles where he bangs women. Who in Hollywood finds him attractive? and then casts him as Mr. Lothario all the time? To me, he is a short, bald, ugly nobody. And what's with his jaw? He seems to have a problem with his gum, as if he's constantly chewing tobacco or something. I like Woody, but he's certainly not believable as a hard man or a Casanova, so I don't get why he keeps landing these roles.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]