Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Cabin in the Woods 

What grade would you give this film?
A 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

The Cabin in the Woods 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Cabin in the Woods
The Cabin in the Woods

Quote:
The Cabin in the Woods is a 2012 horror comedy film co-written and directed by Drew Goddard and co-written and produced by Joss Whedon. It stars Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Jesse Williams, Anna Hutchison, and Fran Kranz. The film was released on April 13, 2012.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:39 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Cabin in the Woods
A+

I'd argue it's perfect. It accomplishes everything it sets out to do and is massively entertaining along the way. Your mileage may vary -- and being a big horror fan helps, as all of the little references and gags are wonderful -- but I can't see anyone saying they didn't at least get their money's worth. (Of course, with all the positive word coming out of it, there's going to be a pretty huge backlash.)

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:08 am
Sbil

Deliciously clever and fun. The hype is justified. A-

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:43 pm
Where will you be?

As a long time horror fan, I absolutely loved it. The Cabin in the Woods is an instant classic of it's genre thanks to its ambitious plot, witty dialogue spoken by unusually clever actors, generous commentary on the genre and also of audience expectations. The deconstruction of the genre is wonderful both for being so inclusive, but at first its a bit jarring as we're introduced to two parallel story lines one of which the advertising has graciously avoided spoiling. After this somewhat rough start The Cabin in the Woods is the rare film that gets better by the minute, all the way to the feverishly delirious climax.

Much of the giddy pleasure of Cabin in the Woods stems from the clever ways the movie deconstructs the genre, but I also think that's why this won't totally connect with general audiences. While The Cabin in the Woods' plot is unusually ambitious and well-structured, breaking the fourth wall so brashly keeps it from being particularly scary. Honestly though, I think the semiotics of the horror genre, no matter the monster, are so familiar that it's easy to make a generous satire. What elevates The Cabin in the Woods to be a classic of it's genre is also it's larger commentary on audience expectations, and the moral comeuppance on those of us who get a kick out of seeing people on the screen get hacked apart, chewed up, exploded, shot, stabbed, or just generally made miserable.

A

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:11 am
College Boy Z

Awesome, obviously.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 pm
Speed Racer

I was somewhat disappointed with the movie. I didn't find it as funny as I would have liked. I am a Buffy/Angel fan and have all of the TV season sets on DVD. So, my disappointment could have been partly due to high expectations. I'll probably watch the movie again at a later time, to see if I like it better the second time.

Regardless, the inhumanity of certain characters being played for laughs was a bit off-putting for me (I hope that statement is generic enough not to be a spoiler). Most of the audience laughter in the showing that I saw was in reaction to Marty's lines.

I did find it refreshingly different and outside-the-box, as far as horror movies go, though.

Grade: B

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:34 pm
Child Actor

I think it's awesome. I wouldn't call it "smart" or "intelligent" (I don't think those words really fit... "unique" would be more apropos, I think), but damn, it is funny and fresh. A+

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:22 pm
Extraordinary

Cabin in the Woods

I tried to watch it Friday but weather cancelled my showing just when they chose their destiny. That was interesting because I was actually pretty bored with the film up to that point but that abrupt cutoff really left me wanting to see more.

Well Saturday comes and I watch it same time and no weather issues. Happy to report that I enjoyed the film very much. I actually liked that intro period much more now knowing a bit of what that part was about from the day before. Anyway, I was excited about the details of the game and it taking place in other areas. I enjoyed the funny black moments with the company workers and the film had a certain level of thrill to it. The final act was an interesting development. The one thing I did not like was the end though. It really makes me hate selfish bastards.

Grade - A

Hope the DVD has worthwhile extras and a good commentary.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:10 am
Wallflower

An undeniably clever and inspired deconstruction of the horror genre. I loved how it played with the audiences expectations and ripped apart a lot of the cliches we're used to seeing. This is a gleefully outrageous blast that takes elements from other horror films and makes something wholly original. It is also one of the most innovative horror films I've seen. Sadly I think this will be too smart for the casual moviegoer. If you want the same old horror movie with the same old formula then you should look elsewhere. But anyone who loves the genre or even those who hate it and would like to see it turned on its head owes it to themselves to see it. Just keep an open mind and go with it. It's one wild ride! And the ending was perfection.

9/10

Also, I really liked Kristen Connolly as the lead. She's so fresh and appealing, and cute as frick. Very likeable.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

This thread makes me lol.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:06 pm
Extraordinary

Spoiler: show
"Giant Evil Gods, Man."

Cabin in the Woods...

...provides a pleasantly horrific metabuffet of onionpeeling / storytelling.

Although...

...not quite note-perfect, this was nonetheless an old-school treat - - this is the kind of Twilight Zone episode Rod Serling would be making if he were alive and in his prime today.

I especially...

...dug the whole ritual sacrifice operation run by a government bureaucracy (just like real life).

Therefore I rate this...

...out of 5.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 pm
Wallflower

nghtvsn wrote:
The one thing I did not like was the end though. It really makes me hate selfish bastards.

Ha. I LOVED that. Fuck humanity. I thought it was so refreshing and gleefully twisted. A great cap-off to a film that refuses to play by the rules. And this is coming from someone who would probably kill themselves to save the world. But it's a movie, and sometimes it's nice to revel in bad behavior without actually being bad yourself. It's best not to take it too seriously.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:56 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Honestly, one of the best horror films I have watched. Everything about this film is great and Jenkins/Whitford work great together. Also, Connolly is bangin'. Favorite of the year so far. I wished we met "Kevin" though. ****

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

A few scenes are funny, particularly the phone call, but that's just the same stuff Whedon always did on TV, juxtaposing the supernatural with the ordinary for humorous effect. And in keeping with that, I'd much rather watch an episode of Angel.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Is Joss Whedon a big Nine Inch Nails fan? I believe the newest Avengers Trailer has The Fragile in it and the credits in Cabin in the Woods featured Last, both of which are two of my favorite Nine Inch Nail's songs.

I liked the movie.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:42 am
Profile WWW

It, probably unintentionally, is a great contrast to Hunger Games, where the evils of humanity pile up but are (eventually) kind-of corrected and we limp on. Here Whedon's dark enough to suggest there's a line of evil and eventually it's just not worth fighting for. Awesome.
Hilarious film, Whitford is my king, fucking fantastic final act and ending. Really like this movie and I'm not a horror fan.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 am

nghtvsn wrote:
The one thing I did not like was the end though. It really makes me hate selfish bastards.

I can hardly believe how much this comment seems to misunderstand the whole point of the film.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 am
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

I can hardly believe how much this comment seems to misunderstand the whole point of the film.

Just tell me you don't think that dude was Not a selfish bastard.

#MAGA #KAG!

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

nghtvsn wrote:
Michael A wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

By the end, absolutely not.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:13 pm
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
Michael A wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:

By the end, absolutely not.

I disagree - - "absolutely not" is far beyond the movie's intentionally debatable premise and ending - - that was the beauty of it.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Perhaps I'm mis-remembering this, I should watch it again, but was he not aware of the evil gods and the fact of his own iminent destruction should he not let them kill him? When he fought weaver, let the girl get malled, and such didn't he know he'd die either way? There-by making his actions not at all selfish, but with the intent of destroying the human race because it had reached a point of no return? God I hope I'm not mixing up the progression of events here.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 pm
Extraordinary

Nope, you're not.

People who think Marty is selfish are missing the point. If society has to butcher dozens of kids every year just to be sustainable, that society deserves to crumble.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am
Star Trek XI

And Marty clearly states that he thinks society isn't worth saving. They both say it's time to give someone else a chance. The ending is consistent with Marty's views throught the film.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:13 am
Extraordinary

baumer wrote:
And Marty clearly states that he thinks society isn't worth saving. They both say it's time to give someone else a chance. The ending is consistent with Marty's views throught the film.

The girl was clearly in no position to contest his opinion at that point.

He is a selfish person because if he thinks the whole world needs to be destroyed just because of a few bad peope then he clearly isn't living in reality. There will always be bad people running about but should everyone else who isn't bad be destroyed just because his sick opinion is that the world should start with a clean slate. Sorry, it makes no sense to me.

I did enjoy the film. Gave an A. Just find his actions at the end sick. If I were the girl I wouldn't have hesistated to save the world.

#MAGA #KAG!

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am
Pure Phase

Amazing movie, IMO. It's frightening, hilarious, and fascinating in almost equal measure. Leaves Scream in the dust. I feel as if my jaw was just on the floor for the duration of the third act. SO inspired.

Great acting (Kristen Connolly has definite star potential). Nice, atmospheric cinematography and score. A bold ending. There's nothing not to love. I plan to see it again on the big screen. Maybe two more times.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next