Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Top Five 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Top Five 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Top Five
Top Five

Quote:
Top Five is an 2014 American comedy film written and directed by Chris Rock. The film, starring Rock, Rosario Dawson, and Gabrielle Union, was screened in the Special Presentations section of the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. The movie follows New York City comedian and film star Andre Allen (Rock) who has to confront his past and comedic career after doing an interview with journalist Chelsea Brown (Dawson). The film was released on December 12, 2014 by Paramount Pictures.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Post Re: Top Five
Top Five lives up to the hype that it generated coming out of the Toronto International Film Festival, and that's no small compliment. At once, it's laugh-aloud hilarious and a surprisingly piercing, raw, and honest examination of celebrity, sobriety, and second chances. In essence, it's Funny People with the out-of-step third act lopped off. At the center of it all is Chris Rock, who wears three hats as the lead actor, the writer, and the director. Although Rock has shown talent in other films, I didn't know that he had something like this in him. His performance in front of the camera is funny while also hitting affecting dramatic notes; he's so attuned to his character's vulnerabilities that the wall of celebrity status comes crashing down quickly, and it becomes easy to sympathize with him. Rock's writing is also sharp and clever at nearly every turn, and some of the film's raciest and funniest segments have the feel of an exceptionally well-crafted joke (suffice it to say that Cedric the Entertainer's part in the film has quite a bit more to it than advertised, and a predictable "twist" gets a great spin with an uproariously funny punchline). And finally, from a directorial standpoint, Rock seems confident enough in his material and the abilities of the actors in front of the camera that he allows the proceedings to roll breezily. As notable as Rock's work is, however, the piece that elevates the film to such a memorable level is Rosario Dawson. Dawson has long been underrated, and she turns in career-best work by at least matching Rock's wit and introspection every step of the way, if not surpassing it in a few spots. Rock and Dawson are great scene partners, and it's clear that they challenge one another as actors just as their characters challenge one another personally. Unfortunately, even with the stir that it caused at Toronto, Top Five seems destined to go down as one of the most overlooked films of 2014, as it's entering a crowded mainstream marketplace and it isn't gaining any awards traction. However, regardless of where it a viewer discovers it, it's a comedic gem that has a great deal on its mind, and communicates it without losing any of its edge.

A-

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:37 pm
Sbil

For about the first 30 minutes of Top Five, I was scratching my head. Where were the laughs? After the film made such an impact at Toronto, I was expecting myself to be laughing silly. But then the movie's true intentions really kicked in, and I settled in. The movie has several hilarious moments, to be sure, but they're more scattered than one expect. Instead, it's much more about celebrity, an audience's expectations vs. those of the artist's, and self-worth. Top Five is Chris Rock channeling Woody Allen, and channeling him well. Rock himself (wearing multiple hats) is great, but the best performance of the film belongs to the underrated Rosario Dawson. Dawson has long been a solid actress who rarely gets the credit she deserves, but she is Top Five's heart and soul. An interesting, thoughtful movie from someone who hasn't been interesting or thoughtful in quite a while. B+

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:54 pm
Forum General

I actually was pretty disappointed with this one. It was incredibly over hyped and the glowing reviews baffle me. It's not a terrible movie by any means but I found it to be kind of all over the place. One of the big issues I had with the film was that there were plenty of points where I just couldn't understand what was being said (hi Cedric the Entertainer, I'm looking at you). There were also a lot of stereotypical things that I found kind of offensive and incredibly annoying. With all of that being said, Chris Rock was not good in this at all. He gives the same performance he has given in all of his films. He was watchable, but not deserving of the praise he is receiving. Rosario Dawson is very good, though I didn't find her character likable. It had some good ideas and there were a couple funny moments and it thankfully wasn't boring.

C+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
why so serious?

movies35 wrote:
One of the big issues I had with the film was that there were plenty of points where I just couldn't understand what was being said (hi Cedric the Entertainer, I'm looking at you).

He's the muthafuckin' man in Houston, man.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:44 pm
Forum General

Yeah, that's all I got out of his character. ;)

I also had someone tell me that they heard this movie was homophobic. I don't really agree with that but it paints homosexuals in a very stereotypical light, much like how they painted black people.

This movie annoys me the more I think about it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Speed Racer

My review/commentary on Top Five:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-hogl ... ertainment

Quote:
Of course, Allen is as much a reflection of Chris Rock and his own ruminations on fame as he is a mirror of Pryor. The films succeeds as a kind of superior, more lighthearted version of Pryor's autobiographical Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling. At the same time Rock's influences are obvious: The film is meant as a more urban, raucous version of Linklater's Before series, or typical Woody Allen, or maybe a more accessible version of Rock collaborator Louis CK's FX series Louie. The result is a bit mixed, tonally, but nevertheless represents a remarkable step forward for Rock as a filmmaker. In an age where most adult fare feels like strategically packaged Oscar bait, Top Five exists in an honest and often hilarious place. We need more films like it.

click/tweet and I'll love you forever

Or check out my ego: www.andyhoglund.tumblr.com/publishedwork

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:56 pm
Extraordinary

I went to this randomly with some hesitance but I really, really enjoyed this one. Go Chris Rock, this is a very solid film. And god I love Rosario Dawson, she needs to be in more movies asap. I hope Rock gets to make more films if they are as good as this.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:19 am
Speed Racer

^Pretty incorrect.

Or check out my ego: www.andyhoglund.tumblr.com/publishedwork

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:10 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Chris Rock is aces. Magnus doesn't know what he's talking about.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was pretty hilarious and interesting, and both Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson were great. It easily has one of the year's sharpest screenplays too - it's kind of baffling it was passed over by the Globes because I'd say it deserves a Best Original Screenplay nomination. The dialogue was great. A-

Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:16 pm
Profile YIM
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's fun and entertaining. Not groundbreaking but still enjoyable.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Loved it. Dawson and Rock are great together. All the supporting roles and cameos bring the laughs hard, but these two pull your heart along for the journey. It has flaws, like Allen not being all that sympathetic despite Chris Rock the writer and Chris Rock the director thinking he is. However, he is redeemed by DMX's awful singing and a return to what he does best. A lot of the dialogue in the movie is stand up comedyish as well, and I wonder if this is Rock's fantasy or how all stand up comedians talk in real life. It's 50/50 in its execution, but it gets us through the slower scenes.

And I will always remember "DO I HAVE TO SAY IT?". That's the line of the year.

My top 5:

1. Kanye West
2. Eminem
3. Tupac
4. Jay-Z
5. Ice Cube

Sixth Man - Nate Dogg for the hooks

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:58 am
Forum General

I see why this never caught on with mainstream audiences. It's definitely more of a drama than a comedy, but the problem with that is it's just not that engaging during those dramatic scenes. As for the comedy aspects, I thought the hotel room bit and the bit with DMX in jail were hilarious, but that's about it.

The rest of the comedy was very hit and miss for me although the actual performances aren't bad. Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson are solid, but I was never emotionally invested in their characters.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:20 pm
loyalfromlondon

dmx kills it

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I loved this. Agree with Webslinger's review. This was hilarious and poignant, a deft balancing act of narrative and tone that completely worked for me. The two leads are fantastic together (I've always loved Rosario), creating believable chemistry and emotional heft that drew me to the characters. I was rooting for them both, enjoying the playful, flirtatious banter of the earlier interview, through the heavier elements and conflict (the multiple times they each considered buying booze; the reveal of James Nielson). The dialogue is insightful and funny, as might be expected. Two scenes in particular had me laughing my ass off: DMX's entire cameo ("Right after I got off the phone, I heard this crazy sound..." enter DMX growling at him! 'Smiiile, through the pain and sorrow (WHAT)' LoL and Chris Rock's face the entire time is HiLaRiOUs). And when Rosario is recounting the 'warning signs' from her relationship with the boyfriend, the whole fingering his ass thing (watch her face in the airplane bathroom) up through the Tobasco tampon incident. Holy shit that was funny.

A-

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:08 pm
now we know

The latest all-black casting call, produced by Kanye and Jay-Z no less, features Chris Rock in a somewhat reflective but dramatized piece; but it doesn't live up to the trailer. Gabrielle Union is stunning and pretty awesome as the talentless reality-TV star, and Rosario Dawson shines, too, as the reporter, but the film probably should have had a few more rewrites prior to being green lit. It never really found its footing early on, and it lost its way towards the end. This will be nice for Chris Rock to look back on in 10 years, I guess. The main problem is that Andre Allan is just such an unlikeable prick. It's as if he cannot be sincere for a moment, always portraying the loud mouth nigger that got him famous. Too opinionated, never shuts up, but somehow wants the audience to side with him. Screw that. And Cedric the Entertainer is the most annoying character in the film. I could not understand a word he said and he doesn't stop talking.

One thing I wasn't sure about was the top five lists. Were they just "top five black musicians"? or was it "top five musicians period"? because, from the ones that I knew on several lists, they all seemed to be black. I mean, even Jerry Seinfeld chose black music.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I think it was top 5 rap artists / groups.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:49 am
now we know

I see. Bit strange considering the film wasn't anything to do with rap music (besides having Kanye and Jay-Z as producers). Its entertainment themes were more movies, stand-up comedy, journalism, and ... ugh ... reality TV....rap music wasn't really part of it, only the lists.

Anyway, here is my top five:

1. Kanye West
2. Jay-Z

Yeah, that's kind of it. It's really not my genre of music.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Yeah I was having some trouble making a list too.... Rap isn't my #1 thing either. I kind of like how the random list idea became the title of the movie.... why not?

1. The Roots
2. Outkast
3. Jay-Z
4. Tupac
5. Mos Def

Sixth man: Eminem, Talib Kweli, Nas

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:20 am
now we know

Not a Kanye fan?

Do Outkast still make music? I remember "Hey Ya!", and loved it, but are Outkast even rappers? Aren't they just black singers that make pop music? I know they made another song before or after "Hey Ya!" which was pretty good, but I've forgotten it now.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Outkast had been around 10+ years before "Hey Ya!" which was a turn toward pop for them. Aquemini is one of the best rap albums of all time, think that came out in '98. ATLiens (an earlier album) and Stankonia (in 2000) also ridiculously awesome rap albums. Big Boi and Andre are both really talented rappers, but Andre especially started turning pop in 2003. Then they kind of fizzled.

Not a Kanye fan. College Dropout was amazing, but I grew tired of his shtick pretty soon thereafter. I won't deny he changed the game though, just not a fan personally.

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]