Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Still Alice 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Still Alice 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Still Alice
Still Alice

Quote:
Still Alice is a 2014 drama film, based on Lisa Genova's 2007 bestselling novel of the same name. It is co-directed by Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland. The film stars Julianne Moore in the role of Alice, a Columbia cognitive psychologist diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease. Alec Baldwin plays her husband John. Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth, and Hunter Parrish play her children Lydia, Anna, and Tom. The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2014.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Still Alice
Ugh, this movie was so emotionally devastating. It was actually really hard to watch at points because of how sad it was. Julianne Moore holds the movie up on her shoulders giving a brilliant performance, that may just be the best performance of her undervalued career. She deserves to win the Oscar (unless someone really surprises me in the next month) but I'm still not positive it will happen. I've heard this is only receiving one of those week long engagements so it is eligible for Oscars and those rarely (if ever?) work out. The rest of the cast is fine, though none of them shine. It's honestly a Lifetime movie of the week but Moore is so good in it, you can't help but feel invested in her character and her life.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

There was a better movie in here somewhere but Moore certainly elevates the whole thing. Dunno if this should be the performance she finally wins for but she is great here.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:20 pm
Wallflower

Really liked this one. Julianne Moore is terrific and deserving of the Oscar.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:09 am
Pure Phase

In Still Alice, Julianne Moore delivers a phenomenal performance as the title character, a 50-year-old academic in the field of linguistics whose life is upended by a nightmare diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer's disease. The release of this film is intertwined with this sensational season of for-your-consideration champagne toasts and golden trophies. It is regarded by many as an incidental project which should be grateful to contain the performance for which the beautiful and widely revered Moore is destined to win her first Academy Award after several nominations. And, yes, her performance, a nuanced and searing portrayal of a strong and wise woman vanishing from within as her memories and viewpoints fade, is a towering achievement and the undeniable heart of the film, but Still Alice is a fine piece in general. Its sense of despair is matched by a subtle sense of humor, and the star turn is complemented by many worthy peripheral performances. One is by Alec Baldwin, reminding us he is a capable actor, not just a tabloid-friendly source of bluster, as John, Alice's well-intentioned-but-outmatched husband. Another is by the ever-improving Kristen Stewart as Lydia, the most free-spirited and wayward of Alice's children, yet perhaps the one best suited to caring for or at least sympathizing with her ailing mother as she slips past the point of no return, even losing her command of speech. In their scenes together, she and Moore create a certain authentic and enchanting shorthand, and it is not hard to believe they are a mother and daughter who slightly mystify, yet truly adore one another.

If the film deserves a modest scolding on any level, it may be the way it sidesteps an enormous concern for many terminal Alzheimer's patients and their families: finances. Alice lives in a rather epicurean realm almost reminiscent of the oeuvre of Nancy Meyers, and the film seldom pauses to consider her wealth or social status. Her family's spectacular brownstone is outshone only by their delicious beach house. A maid is never far away, and a nursing home is only a source of potential personal shame, not economic burden. I hesitate to strongly chide the film for featuring wealthy characters with a luxurious one-percent lifestyle, particularly considering how much it moved and satisfied me, but it is at least an interesting dynamic to contemplate as one wipes away the tears and cheers for Julianne Moore at the very top of her game.

A- or a very high B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:54 am
Sbil

Absolutely heartbreaking and devastating, free of the gooey sentiment one might expect in a "disease movie." Towards the end, the mere sight of Julianne Moore was threatening to make me tear up. She is incredible in this; in just a short 100 minutes, we mourn the loss of Alice's identity and place in the world. The scene where she gives her speech at the Alzheimer's convention...I was like, oh my god, someone hug me! Moore is backed up by solid performances from Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart. It's frank yet incredibly emotionally resonant. A-

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:25 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I forgot to post my thoughts on this. Julianne Moore was AMAZING and deserves to win the Oscar. She was heartbreaking. I actually thought the movie itself was great too - it was very heartfelt and touching without being preachy. A-

Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

Devastating and tragic are two words that will often be thrown around when describing Still Alice, and they are painfully accurate in how to paint this sad, moving film. Anyone who has experienced a loved one affected by this disease will get how eerily close the film gets (although I like David's point of finances), whether it's early-onset or old age. This is a tour de force performance for Julianne Moore, akin to Cate Blachett's Oscar-winning turn in Blue Jasmine last year. Without her, the film may falter and be entirely forgotten. But thankfully, Moore is here and she is taking home any and all awards, deservedly so.

Unfortunately, praise is almost unexpectedly lost for a few other notable performances, especially Kristen Stewart, who is rebounding nicely after the Twilight years. Alec Baldwin continues to show he's one of the best actors who may not often get the respect he deserves (30 Rock aside).

If the film has any noticeable flaws, it's how bare the film can be. We know what's happening early and we know where it's going. The Butterfly scenes near the end are predictable. It doesn't pretend to be anything except a portrait of a strong, intelligent woman who is losing every last piece of herself. I'm not sure where else the film could have went (and I'm not familiar with the novel), but it was a very cut-and-dry line between beginning and end.

A-

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's a very well made that doesn't go to too far of extremes to get it's message across. Julianne Moore truly is fantastic here and definitely deserves her Oscar nomination. Every woman in my auditorium yesterday (which was surprisingly packed for a Thursday afternoon, ~75-85 people) was in tears at the end.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This film just killed me. It is an incredibly strong year for the Best Actress category, but Moore deserves that win.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

There are showy, flashy Oscar winning roles that are forced upon us, but this isn't one of them. Moore deserves every bit of praise for this.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

Still Alice will be remembered for Moore's Oscar but this is a very fine film on its own. Despite the subject matter there was enough light moments for me to enjoy it. The Alzheimer's doesn't stop Alice's ability to recognize love or appreciate what life has given her. Moore is wonderful in a richer, more internal and better performance than many showy mental health Oscar winners. Stewart's emoting and intensity impresses for someone who's one face used to be a punchline. I'm excited to see her in Clouds of Sil Maria. Also my favorite Baldwin role in a while as a man who's warm but also imperfect handling these hurdles

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:33 am
Hold the door!

I actually found this more enjoyable than any of the year's best picture nominations. It is simply so engaging, moving and emotionally devastating. The message that even a short life can be significant totally aligns with my values. Ultimately, this is uplifting, if it were not it would not have worked as a film.

A

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]