Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 V/H/S: Viral 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post V/H/S: Viral

Quote:
V/H/S: Viral is an upcoming American anthology horror film. It features a series of found-footage shorts written and directed by Nacho Vigalondo, Marcel Sarmiento, Gregg Bishop, Aaron Scott Moorhead, Justin Benson and Aaron Scott Moorhead.

The original film was planned to have four stories and a wraparound story, but Todd Lincoln's short "Gorgeous Vortex" was cut from the film last minute for unknown reasons, resulting in a runtime decrease of seventeen minutes. The film was released through Video on Demand on October 23, 2014, and will be released in select theaters on November 21.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: V/H/S: Viral
Wow. The first V/H/S film is uneven, but contains moments of genuine genre inspiration, and I found the second to be an improvement and a truly satisfying example of an anthology or portmanteau film. The third (and final?) entry in the V/H/S saga, however, is a disaster beyond description. So many negative adjectives are apt here. Boring. Flat. Idiotic. Incoherent. Uninspired.

There are three short films and, as always, a type of wrap-around storyline returned to throughout. The framing-device scenes defy description for me because I have no clue what went on despite watching the film without distraction around an hour ago. There is an O. J. Simpson-style police chase on the news, and people are racing to film it for YouTube, and there is an ultra-vague sense of insipid social commentary ("Modern society is voyeuristic and tech-fixated!"), and a group of Mexican caricatures stab each other at a barbeque, and I have no clue. The trio of self-contained stories are also awful. At least the first two begin with interesting conceits. In one, a ne'er-do-well becomes an overnight sensation as a stage musician, but secretly pays a sinister price for his triumph. In another, a scientist opens a portal to a parallel universe and meets another version of himself who may or may not be benevolent. Both ultimately fall flat due to a toxic combination of soap-opera-caliber acting, bargain-bin computer-generated imagery, juvenile humor, and rushed storytelling.

The third story, however, is easily worse. A humdinger of ineptitude, it concerns a group of skaters who travel into Mexico and run afoul of a cult. I felt searing pangs of shame simply watching this segment, knowing I spent actual money to rent it on demand. More time is devoted to the crude teenagers' trashy, lingo-heavy banter than actual horror, and when the actual set piece begins, it undermined by confusing staging and a tragic absence of conviction. Avoid and flush V/H/S: Viral.

F

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:10 pm
You must have big rats

Oh wow, that's bad....especially since I agree with you on the first two.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

A bit shitty. Some interesting ideas, but nothing scary in the slightest. Some cool, if unspectacular, visuals all done with boring CGI. Bonestorm was probably the best segment, followed by Parallel Monsters, then Dante the Great, and last would be the on-going Vicious Circles which was just pure shit. But they are all forgettable, quite flat, and badly conveyed -- I get it, it's supposed to be hand-filmed, but it was so choppy that it just wasn't a pleasing watch at all.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

No way! ;) Bonestorm is the worst. I felt embarrassed watching it.

The magician one has a decent concept, but the execution is so, so crap. And the story is too sprawling for a horror-anthology vignette.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:32 pm
now we know

I actually grew fond of the skater bois. One thing which was disappointing is that a few times we got close to seeing some boob, and then it held back.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]