Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 It Follows 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

It Follows 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post It Follows
It Follows

Quote:
For 19-year-old Jay, fall should be about school, boys and weekends out at the lake. But after a seemingly innocent sexual encounter, she finds herself plagued by strange visions and the inescapable sense that someone, or something, is following her. Faced with this burden, Jay and her teenage friends must find a way to escape the horrors that seem to be only a few steps behind.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:43 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: It Follows
A

Scary as shit

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:55 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

chlamydia

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is an INCREDIBLY well-made movie. The direction is some of the most impressive I've ever seen in a horror film - you can tell a lot of effort went into perfecting every frame. The movie itself is very entertaining and almost dreamlike, if not necessarily the all-out scarefest that some critics claim it is. It is undeniably unsettling though and there's a fantastic atmosphere present that really ams up the tension and sense of dread. It also helps that all the characters are very likable and share a believable chemistry with one another. The score is amazing and another big standout. There were some really, really awesome scenes in this film, but my favorite would probably be the POV shot once Jay first encounters the monster. A-

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:37 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I saw this at a special word of mouth screening last night and it more than lives up to the hype. It was far and away the best horror film in years. The film is incredibly intense, atmospheric and parts of it are genuinely scary and unsettling. The direction and the score are the best I've seen in a horror movie since the original Halloween. It's really a complete masterwork and you can tell how much time and love is put into every frame of it. I don't think it is terribly mainstream accessible though, it's never boring but I think the average moviegoer would find it a bit on the dull side and I doubt they will like there is no story behind the curse, it just is what it is. It Follows will haunt you, it certainly did me. After the film when I went into the parking garage, I was actually pretty creeped out and when I was driving on a few back roads I was as well. If you are a horror fan, you have no reason not to see this film in theaters. Just brilliant and I can't wait to see it again.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

movies35 wrote:
I saw this at a special word of mouth screening last night and it more than lives up to the hype. It was far and away the best horror film in years. The film is incredibly intense, atmospheric and parts of it are genuinely scary and unsettling. The direction and the score are the best I've seen in a horror movie since the original Halloween. It's really a complete masterwork and you can tell how much time and love is put into every frame of it. I don't think it is terribly mainstream accessible though, it's never boring but I think the average moviegoer would find it a bit on the dull side and I doubt they will like there is no story behind the curse, it just is what it is. It Follows will haunt you, it certainly did me. After the film when I went into the parking garage, I was actually pretty creeped out and when I was driving on a few back roads I was as well. If you are a horror fan, you have no reason not to see this film in theaters. Just brilliant and I can't wait to see it again.

A

:clap:

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:29 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

You'll be fine, it has a much bigger effect on people who have sex.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:

:funny:

Even though there are quite a few tense/scary moments, I wouldn't call the film overly "terrifying." Like I said, I did find myself being quite creeped out while I was in the parking garage and driving around but I didn't have a ton of trouble falling asleep.

Oh I kind of have a story but it's kind of dirty, so if anyone is offended by sex or whatever, quit reading. It does have to deal with the movie. ;)

When I got home my boyfriend was already asleep in bed. I went upstairs to bed like usual. I didn't have a ton of trouble falling asleep, though I did keep waking up. I woke up a few times (not sure if I was having a dream or just was sleeping horribly) but the third time I woke up to touching my boyfriend and ended up having sex with him at like 4AM. :P I honestly think it was 100% because of the movie honestly LOL

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

movies35 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Even though there are quite a few tense/scary moments, I wouldn't call the film overly "terrifying." Like I said, I did find myself being quite creeped out while I was in the parking garage and driving around but I didn't have a ton of trouble falling asleep.

Oh I kind of have a story but it's kind of dirty, so if anyone is offended by sex or whatever, quit reading. It does have to deal with the movie. ;)

When I got home my boyfriend was already asleep in bed. I went upstairs to bed like usual. I didn't have a ton of trouble falling asleep, though I did keep waking up. I woke up a few times (not sure if I was having a dream or just was sleeping horribly) but the third time I woke up to touching my boyfriend and ended up having sex with him at like 4AM. :P I honestly think it was 100% because of the movie honestly LOL

And now you have a naked Magnus following you.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Dr. Lecter wrote:
movies35 wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

And now you have a naked Magnus following you.

That is probably more scary than anything in the movie. ;)

I don't usually post my video reviews here but figured I would for this one since there are so many people talking about it and excited for it. :)

How do I embed my videos? It isn't working... :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Last edited by movies35 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

http:// with no s

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:58 pm
Forum General

Thanks dude. :thumbsup:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Deshi Basara

The latest Emperor's New Clothes film where no one wants to be the one to say they didn't think it was less than genius.

That said, it's a neatly made film, and it is a nice change of pace for the genre, but there's a lot to be irked about. I get pretty annoyed by films that make the audience do all the work. I know some people like that, but not I. It's definitely an art film in that regard, and it works well if that's what you're looking for.

None of the characters in this movie had much of a brain or a personality - I guess it was going for the economy-ravaged Detroit depression feel, which it nailed if so, and to me that is the scarier aspect of the film: that this horror that is occurring to these people does not motivate them to want to stop it, escape it, or understand it. It's just another aspect of a shitty existence. So on that level, it is actually kind of interesting and that's a layer rarely explored in a horror film. The mainstream however is not going to appreciate that layer.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:06 pm
You must have big rats

Proud Ryu wrote:
The latest Emperor's New Clothes film where no one wants to be the one to say they didn't think it was less than genius.

Why would I say that, I saw it ages before the hype began.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

This movie should be taught in a class about how important music is to film. This movie has plenty of scares and does a good job of making you care about the characters. Yet I don't any of it would mean very much without that haunting, booming score intruding on what you would expect to be the quiet moments. It never lets you rest. Jay getting ready for her date, looking oh so pretty to a fairy tale princess castle violin riff, then BWOOM, it comes back, reminding us of what is about to happen to her, making it all the more terrifying when it finally does.

So the whole package together is pretty fantastic. The story is like a combination of The Ring and Terminator. It never stops, it never sleeps, it cannot be reasoned with and it will never quit. Even passing it on only solves the problem temporarily. It works as an allegory for HIV and an old fashioned movie monster. The sex scenes were pretty hot too, I had to constantly remind my penis that this poonanny wasn't at all worth it. Poor Paul, even when he gets off the hook he gets right back on another.

Complaints would include the characters being dumb, I know its a horror trope but c'mon, LOOK BEHIND YOU. Owls can do it so it can't be that hard. I also didn't feel much resolution, Paul should have passed it on to those fat hoes. Instead its just like real HIV, you live with it until you don't. I'm fine with that, I just wish we got a more satisfying hell yeah moment than the obviously-going-to-fail pool ambush. Last complaint is that the other two girls didn't add much to the story, and are mostly just there for moral support.

Other than that its excellent. Absolutely worth a watch for anybody, not just horror fans. And even if you don't have it in you to watch it at least check out some of the score on youtube.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:28 pm
You must have big rats

Other than the obvious positive things (score, sccares, direction), I think what deserves praise is that the main characters in the film actually feel like a real group of friends, not just actors hanging around, pretending to be friends.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It Follows is a solid, modestly inspired teenage-centric genre film elevated, set apart, by exceptional aural and visual elements. The storyline turns on Jay (Maika Monroe), a Detroit girl who, after sleeping with her new significant other (Jake Weary) for the first time, learns he has transmitted a type of supernatural malediction to her. Until she has sex with another person, she will be pursued by a murderous and unsympathetic entity. It moves slowly, but steadily and can transform at will, including into into its intended victim's loved ones. (The concept recalls the moral conundrum of The Ring, in which the heroine only saves herself and her son by playing the cursed videotape for others, blended here with a healthy dose of HIV/AIDS symbolism.) Monroe is a fetching lead—at once angelic and tough—and the screenplay possesses a smart and welcome respect for the unknown and its capacity to frighten—there is no third-act introduction of a paranormal researcher or priest to explain how to defeat what follows—but the true scene-stealing star here is the aesthetic. Writer and director David Robert Mitchell uses the film as a platform to exhibit his aptitude for crisp, dreamy, geometric, John Carpenter-style shot compositions, and he is yet another director to mine Detroit's economic hardship and blight for silver-screen atmosphere. And he commissions a memorable and vibrant score by 8-bit electronic musician Rich "Disasterpeace" Vreeland. Alternately hazy and pulsating, the retro music (call it a Tangerine Nightmare) infuses the entire film with an invaluable dose of demented personality.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:02 pm
Extraordinary

Not sure how to feel about it.

BTW, look up 'imdb it follows' on google and look at the synopsis wtf

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:33 am
You must have big rats

publicenemy#1 wrote:

BTW, look up 'imdb it follows' on google and look at the synopsis wtf

This has happened to several movies recently.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

so did 'it' actually turn into anyone Jay knew? I was expecting it to turn into one of the other kids but I don't think that ever happened.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:18 am
You must have big rats

publicenemy#1 wrote:
so did 'it' actually turn into anyone Jay knew? I was expecting it to turn into one of the other kids but I don't think that ever happened.

Sure it did just that. The beach scene?

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It also turned into her father during the pool scene.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 am
Extraordinary

On the beach it turned into the girl with the glasses right? And mess, I didn't catch that was supposed to be her dad, was that explicit? Guess that went over my head. :lol:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 am
Pure Phase

It is not very strongly conveyed. I believe we are meant to realize it when the camera lingers on a family photo near the end.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 am
Pure Phase

Oh, random observation: during the hospital scene, they show this nurse a few times, and she seems completely out of time and creepy. ;) Nurse Ratched circa the 1930s. I was convinced she was "it."

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next