Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Quote:
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a 2014 American comedy film directed by Miguel Arteta from a screenplay written by Rob Lieber. The film stars Steve Carell, Jennifer Garner, and Ed Oxenbould, and is based on Judith Viorst's 1972 children's book of the same name. Co-produced by Walt Disney Pictures, 21 Laps Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company, the film is scheduled to be released on October 10, 2014.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad
alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad title

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 am
Extraordinary

ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD DAY

I thought this was okay but nothing special. It stars off slow and has the whole birthday wish spell plot like we've seen before. The initial start to that day is funny with all the things going wrong but it took time to get there as I said. The funniest person in the film is Carrell and while it's a nice little family film it's just not my complete cup of tea. Most of the folks around me seemed to enjoy it though.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:25 pm
New Server, Same X

By "most of the folks", do you mean children?

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:29 pm
Extraordinary

Mister Ecks wrote:
By "most of the folks", do you mean children?

Parents with their children.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 pm
Forum General

This was actually really cute, if a little corny at times but that is to be expected. Jennifer Garner steals the show here and is hysterical. I'm glad she wasn't underused at all, everyone has just about the same amount of screen time. I don't have much to say about it, it was just really cute and fun.

B-

I also appreciated how "forward" some of the humor was in this, I was actually kind of surprised. A few parents definitely weren't happy with a few things that were said in it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I found this pretty cute. I even laughed out loud a couple times. I would like a sequel but I don't know if it made enough for them to do one. It made over 100 Million on a 28 Million budget.

Anyway, I'd give it a solid B.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:47 am
now we know

Generic family feel-good movie made by Disney.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was really entertaining, but the absence of any sort of logic whatsoever made me lower the grade, because I was utterly in disbelief at how ridiculous some of the contrivances were. I know the whole point is that everything goes wrong for everyone, but how would everything important in every character's life be going on in one day? The mother's book launch, the father's job interview, the one son's driver's test and prom, the daughter's play and the other son's birthday party? What kind of school district has the school play the same night as the junior prom? And why would they pick that hectic night to celebrate the other boy's birthday? Also, there was no timeline to this, everything was happening at the same time, or else it would have been morning by the time this was done. If the girl arrived late to her play when she was due at 3, and she had to go on immediately after, that dictates she was at least 45 minutes to an hour late. So if the play started at four, why were they like "the play tonight" when it was afternoon. And if the play was about two hours long, give or take, even if they left a little early, how did they have time to take the boy to his driver's test at the earliest 5:30, then go to pick up his tux, then pick up the girl, hen go to dinner, all before 7 or so when the prom would start? And by the time they got home, how would it still be so light out? And how did those crappy trainers get a license for those animals if they couldn't even keep them contained? Good god, how much money it must have cost the parents to get an exotic zoo at their home! Plus, they would not have suspended the older son for knocking something over by accident. They would not have let the girl perform when she was so sick and obviously going to do a crappy job, and what kind of parents let their kids chug cough syrup in front of them? Why did the girl wear the Peter Pan outfit home, was it her outfit? Why did the dad think it was okay to steal the pirate shirt for his job interview? How could the mom possibly have missed every single jump being replaced with dump? How unobservant can you get? I have no idea how she got a job editing kids books if she missed that. Plus, why did no one seem to think she was crazy when she was rampaging down the block on a bike? I was also confused if the younger son was friends with the popular kid or if they were enemies, considering he had nothing but contempt for him, but he was still invited to his cool party. And the girl he liked seemed so uninterested in him until the obligatory happy ending. Didn't he say she would be the only girl if she came? The whole school must have come. The job interview the dad went on must have been a joke; no way would they be act so stoned for a serious job interview. And the dad miraculously gets the job, but conveniently works from home and makes his own hours so not to make him miss Mommy and me yoga. Plus, why did he think they didn't like him because he caught fire and because his baby ate a permanent marker? Those things were obviously not his fault. The driver's teacher was a total bitch, why would she tell him to use his cell phone so many times? The girl was clearly not pleased to be in a relationship with him; why did she give him so many chances when she was way hotter than he was? Why did he wan to stick with such a bitch? She's hot, but no one is that shallow. I just can't anymore with this movie. It just annoyed me too much to give it a great grade. But it was enjoyable if you look past the fact nothing makes sense.

B

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]