Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 This Is Where I Leave You 

What grade would you give this film?
A 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
B 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post This Is Where I Leave You

Quote:
This Is Where I Leave You is an upcoming American comedy-drama film directed by Shawn Levy. It is based on the book of the same name by Jonathan Tropper, who also wrote the film's screenplay. The film will be released on September 19, 2014.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: This Is Where I Leave You
I don't even really know where to start with this movie. There is a seriously great movie in here somewhere. What is handed to us is an entertaining, well acted, perfectly serviceable film but it could have been so much more with a little more effort. So many people in this cast are wasted (Rose Byrne and Connie Britton, I'm looking at you), which is quite disappointed. There are moments of greatness but the entire movie is so rushed and underdeveloped that it is hard to care about most of the characters. Still, it was an entertaining and breezy enough movie. It's just kind of depressing that with an extra half hour or so, it could have been a really great one.

Good but aggravating.

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Overall, This Is Where I Leave You uses its sprawling cast to good effect and is worth seeing. Having read Jonathan Tropper's novel, however, the film does feel scattered trying to hit the book's main elements without developing most of them properly. There's not quite enough breathing room here; what could have been a great movie ends up being a merely pretty good one. As said before, the cast is the reason to see this film. Jason Bateman and Tina Fey are both outstanding, Adam Driver continues to show why he'll likely end being a huge movie star, Jane Fonda gives possibly her best performance post-comeback, Connie Britton steals every scene she's in, etc. And that's not even touching on the other superb actors (including Rose Byrne, Timothy Olyphant, Corey Stoll and Kathryn Hahn) in the mix. While I liked the film, I couldn't help but come away a little bit disappointed since the novel is so terrific and the movie falls short of it. B

Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:06 am
Forum General

As much as I love both of them, I didn't feel like Rose Byrne or Connie Britton made any kind of impression whatsoever. They're characters were so one note and underdeveloped. The scene where Connie Britton talked to Jason Bateman about what the odds were that her boyfriend was cheating on her literally came out of nowhere. There was what? A two second bit where it showed him talking to this girl? I didn't care and it was just kind of random. The whole relationship between Rose Byrne and Jason Bateman was also completely out of left field.

Ugh, this movie could have been so damn good if it wasn't so fucking rushed.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved this. It was funny, sweet, sad and heartwarming and I loved all the characters. I wish some of the excellent ensemble was given a bit more to do but for the most part everyone got a chance to shine. I thought Jason Bateman was absolutely fantastic in a more dramatic role than audiences are used to seeing him in, and of course Tina Fey, Jane Fonda and Adam Driver are both excellent. I thought the Timothy Olyphant plotline was a little underdeveloped and I'd have liked to have seen more Rose Byrne (she was lovely in her role though) but for the most part I was satisfied. And LOVED seeing Connie Britton on the big screen of course. A-

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:46 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I enjoyed it, good ensemble. It has its faults but I think the family dynamic presented was enjoyable and I liked how understated the ending was. It felt like there could've been a tacky six months later scene but there wasn't which I liked.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 am
Iron Man

I thought it was pretty enjoyable, quite funny and moving in parts, with a delightful cast. It's just kind of disappointing, because I feel there was definitely potential for more, and I think that's mostly the fault of the screenplay and the direction. Not that those elements are weak, but all the dramatic and comedic notes could have hit a little harder. The result is quite pleasant, yet not quite as memorable as it could have been. B

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:03 pm
Wallflower

Really glad I didn't see this theatrically. An annoying movie with mostly annoying characters that makes it difficult to give a damn about them. Adam Driver is one of the most obnoxious actors too. Really don't like this guy.

What a waste of a cast.

5/10 ( C )

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:58 am
now we know

This is a film about people, and the only thing that matters is the chemistry between those people, and thankfully it worked. The whole reminiscing/family arguments niche is my territory. I love it. It worked too well for some of it not to be based on real history. Jason Bateman did his usual sleepwalk performance, but I suppose it kind of worked when in contrast to his siblings. Adam Driver played 'the comedy' well, Fonda played the 'quirky mum' well, and Ben Schwartz was in this; awesome! I must say that I groaned when I saw Rose Byrne appear. I mean, seriously, she's in fucking everything. I'm sick of her. Tina Fey did her usual schtick (of not being funny), and she still cannot act. And Timothy Olyphant is also present. The film is a bit too feel-good and nicey-nicey with the upbeat music at the end, but overall it was a good, enjoyable film. I'm pretty much a sucker for these types of films.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:06 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Fuck! I saw the phrase 'this is where I leave you' and 'Algren' and had my hopes up. This is false advertising.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:16 am
Hold the door!

Really enjoyed this movie. But it was pretty unoriginal and forgettable.

B-

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:31 am
On autopilot for the summer

This reminds me a lot of Dan in Real Life. Great cast, that excel over everything the script gives them. Nothing great about it though, as said, this could have been a great film just from outtakes probably. It is a likable film though. Bateman and Co are probably the most unrealistic family though (Seriously only the movies would you buy that the four of them were genetic siblings) I still can't tell if Driver is a good actor or not (Definitely the weak link here)

B

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu May 28, 2015 1:56 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah, this is enjoyable but there's not much there. I actually enjoyed Driver the most of the siblings, minus the typical funeral scene. Wish they would've divulged into the Tina Fey relationship more.

B

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 28, 2015 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]