Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them

Quote:
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby is the collective title of three films written and directed by Ned Benson. The films star Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy, and is Benson's first feature film project. The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby is broken into three films, Him, Her and Them. Him and Her were screened at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival as a "work in progress". Them premiered in the Un Certain Regard section of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival. Them will premiere in the US on September 12, 2014, while Him and Her will be released on October 10, 2014 in select art house cinemas.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them
Heartbreaking and beautifully performed by the entire ensemble. Jessica Chastain is absolutely fantastic here - my only concern for her this awards season is that it isn't a showy performance with any 'big' moments for the most part. She's amazing though and I loved her character's journey. James McAvoy was also great even though I didn't find his character as engaging. I also loved the supporting work from Viola Davis, Isabelle Huppert, William Hurt, Jess Weixler and Ciaran Hinds (whom I understand has a much bigger role in the Him instalmment). Davis easily has the most to do of the supporting cast and I loved her character. It runs a little too long but there are some really beautiful scenes and dialogue, and the ending is definitely one that will stay with you as you leave the theater. I'm very curious to see the separate installments. A-

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:10 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I liked it. I'm not really in a rush to see the individual releases but I did read in some reviews that it works best as Him and Her so I'll probably check them out sometime.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 pm
Pure Phase

A dual-perspective examination of romance, grief, and their painful aftermaths, The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them began its complicated cinematic life as two films, one subtitled "Him" and the other "Her." The two-hour version of writer and director Ned Benson's ambitious project receiving a theatrical release first, however, represents a blend of the two. Several people who saw the separate versions at film festivals resent this perceived undermining of the experiment in subjectivity, but, in my opinion, the final product is a cogent and poignant, if modest picture. It is long on subtle gestures of authenticity and insight, and they outweigh the few heavy-handed moments. At the end of the day, two hours are relatively ample, and while I am intrigued to see "Him" and "Her" in the future, this first-time viewer never found the film as it exists now—intended to function as a type of intimate autopsy of a relationship in a downward spiral—rushed or unfocused.

James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain star as Conor and Eleanor, respectively. Named after the Beatles' elderly recluse, she has returned home to her parents' house after a failed suicide bid, and he is a restaurateur in dire financial straits. Both are, to say the least, adrift and requiring a rebound. They are still wed, but estranged after a tragedy the film (wrongly) treats as a mystery. This type of film is often a gift to its stars, and it is no surprise both photogenic headliners shine, perfectly capturing numerous variations on anger, confusion, longing, and despondency both together and apart. Celebrated peripheral players abound, too, including William Hurt, delivering a downright devastating monologue near the end as Eleanor's father, and a scene-stealing Viola Davis as a razor-sharp academic whose cold and distant demeanor gives way to tender conversations and reflections as Eleanor comes to know her during afternoon meetings and shared lunches. I am even tempted to say the film plays best not as a direct story of lovers in flux, but rather as a series of generation-gap-bridging dispatches regarding life and how it should and should not be lived. No one has the precise answer, but they inch toward it as they help or clash with one another day by day.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:18 pm
Extraordinary

So what'd you guys think of the ending? Was it an allegory or was she really there?

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:46 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

One of the best of the year for sure. Chastain really blows it out of the park and McAvoy holds his own as well. Even Viola Davis and Bill Hader are strong support along the way. Sure it doesn't have many "big" moments and there is plenty of mystery to the whole trouble that still leaves questions after the close, but it all comes together so beautifully. If Him/Her reaches theaters out here I'll be sure to go see this again as I bet it will make the film even stronger than it is now.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

publicenemy#1 wrote:
So what'd you guys think of the ending? Was it an allegory or was she really there?

I'm pretty certain she was indeed there because there is no indication that she was completely over him, or him over her. It's obvious I think that they each found success in their own way at the end but I don't think she was necessarily following him immediately after she got back from France, some significant time may have elapsed. I believe the ending showed that while they are at about where they want to be in life and aren't searching for an answer, they are almost, but not quite ready to start over again with each other which is why I believe Connor may not have seen she was behind him.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Also, the ending song during that scene was beautiful. I need to find it.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I took a three hour round trip yesterday to see this and I didn't leave disappointed at all. At first I found it a little slow because it wasn't entirely what I was expecting but after the first ten or twenty minutes I was absolutely fascinated. James McAvoy gave a beautifully heartbreaking performance here. I haven't seen much from him but I've never seriously loved any of his performances. Thankfully he has a new fan now. He was sensational. Jessica Chastain is also great as the title character and Viola Davis is a scene stealer. This was such a beautifully crafted film. Very melancholy, subtle and depressing yet at the end of the day, also incredibly hopeful. I left very, very moved. I can't wait to see Her/Him.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Why the hell is Jessica Chastain not getting more awards buzz for this? (yeah, I know, cos' no ne saw the film...)

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]