Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Magic in the Moonlight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Magic in the Moonlight 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Magic in the Moonlight
Magic in the Moonlight

Quote:
Magic in the Moonlight is a 2014 American comedy film written and directed by Woody Allen. The film stars Emma Stone, Colin Firth, Hamish Linklater, Marcia Gay Harden, Jacki Weaver, Erica Leerhsen, Eileen Atkins, and Simon McBurney. Set in the 1920s on the French Riviera, the film was released on July 25, 2014 by Sony Pictures Classics.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Magic in the Moonlight
It's decent and a very easy, pleasant watch. There's really not a whole lot to complain about and Emma Stone is just lovely and in her element here as she always is - hands down my favorite part of the movie. It just feels very slight and ultimately comes off as a tad forgettable though, which is a shame considering how great Blue Jasmine was last year. It's certainly not awful like To Rome With Love though at least. B-

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:08 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Ultra-prolific writer and director Woody Allen, creator of many of the finest American comedies and dramas of the last four decades, creates perhaps the most dire film of his oeuvre with Magic in the Moonlight, a purported comic romance devoid of charm, excitement, humor, and interest. Colin Firth plays Stanley, a veteran magician and avowed cynic spirited by an old friend to the south of France to help reveal youthful psychic Sophie (Emma Stone) as a fraud. She has a powerful and rich family under her spell, providing them with supernatural advice regarding financial decisions and claiming to contact their deceased patriarch. Stanley is eager to deduce her secrets and declare her a con artist posing as a mystic, but finds it harder than expected as he, too, becomes entranced.

This is a fine concept, evocative of Houdini and his disdain for spiritualists, with many intriguing components (magic! romance! France!), yet the resulting film has no idea how to utilize it as it blunders and trips from the bland start to the profoundly misguided finish line. More than ever before, there is a sense Allen filmed the first draft of his script. The few ideas are stretched far too thin, scenes go in circles, and characters constantly refer to and explain the thesis (how to blend a pragmatic, even distrustful worldview with a bit of earnest belief in magic and romance) in a way so didactic and mechanical as to be insulting. And the Firth/Stone pairing is a hideous miscalculation. Their nonexistent chemistry never moves the needle, and he is downright creepy as he lusts after a co-star who can still play a high-school student. He truly registers as a type of horny father figure rather than a viable bedroom match. The fact Firth plays a fairly vile boor of a man who more than once refers to himself as a genius does not help, particularly as the fetching Stone's thinly developed Sophie fawns over him and sacrifices more and more of herself to win him over as he rolls his eyes and berates her with cruel faux-wit. (Though portrayed as a sap rendered a tad delusional by his wealthy upbringing, the Hamish Linklater character who functions as the romantic rival is much more charismatic.) It is borderline revolting, and perhaps a tad fascinating, how truly unconvincing this central love story is. To be honest, to even call is a love story is groan-inducing.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:13 pm
Extraordinary

I enjoyed it. It is forgettable though, and the romantic angle wasn't really done that well.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:55 pm
loyalfromlondon

dreadful

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 am
Sbil

Inoffensive but bland to an almost shocking degree, Magic in the Moonlight represents one of Woody Allen's most colorless offerings to date. It's a shame, considering the talented cast and beautiful scenery. Colin Firth and Emma Stone are both appealing and very likable as usual, however, despite having next to no chemistry with each other. C

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:47 pm
Pure Phase

Colin Firth is anything but appealing in this film.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 pm
Wallflower

It's light and fun and Stone and Firth were very good together. Nothing great, but charming.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:59 am
Forum General

All though the romantic element wasn't there at all I thought Firth was the standout here. I thought he gave a good performance even though he wasn't given much to work with. Emma Stone, who is one of my favorites, wasn't good at all though. The movie is incredibly bland and forgettable. It's also nice to look at but there just isn't much to it.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

I really enjoyed it, then again I do tend to favor Woody's lighter films such as this. Stone and Firth work great off each other and it is a very funny little film.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Wonderful. A really fun cat and mouse movie in addition to its themes. Yes its exposition about its themes is a little over the top, but I like the idea anyways of rationality winning when it comes to the seer plot, but magic winning in terms of romance. Stone is good but Colin Firth is the real shining performance, pulling off a pretty thin tightrope of a pompous erratic stuck in his time Brit but still showing the character's heart in like, his eyes twitching in reaction and stuff. This also makes the best visual use of its locale of his recent group of his European films. One of his best in 2000+ for me

Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]