Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Predestination 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Predestination 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Predestination
Predestination

Quote:
Predestination is a 2014 Australian sci-fi thriller film directed and written by Michael Spierig & Peter Spierig. It is based on the short story '"—All You Zombies—"' written by Robert A. Heinlein. The film stars Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook and Noah Taylor.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Predestination
knotty

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:37 pm
Forum General

Is it out?

Is it like stream on demand?

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

nope

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:26 pm
now we know

Not a bad film, but utterly obvious from the first 5 minutes. I literally knew all the twists and revelations in the film in the first few minutes. However.....this did not spoil what was an intense and fun film. It tried to be a Looper or Inception in its creativity, but it was always multiple levels below those quality-films. The film obviously doesn't make sense either (her baby grows up to be her again and again - she effectively gives birth to herself) but again it didn't detract from the story drawing you in.

The film really isn't how they portray it in trailers. It is not a chase/sci-if thriller to get this bomber. It's more of a personal story of one woman that has an unplanned sex change and turns into Ethan Hawke who is the Fizzle Bomber. There are about 3 characters in the film. The rest of the cast are the same character.....all Jane or John....interacting with each other from different times.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Directed by the brothers Spierig (Daybreakers), Predestination is a stylish and extremely twisty science-fiction suspense film adapted from the short story "—All You Zombies—" by influential mid-20th-century writer Robert A. Heinlein. It is arduous to describe the film without spoiling its wild and slightly perverse storyline, but it is set in a world of "temporal agents" (enforcers who use time travel to stop crimes before they are committed) and set in motion by a late-night conversation between a friendly bartender (a solid Ethan Hawke) and a brooding writer (Sarah Snook), both more complicated than we first imagine. Presumably produced on a relatively modest budget, this is an attractive and chic film with sumptuous, smartly employed art direction and beguiling dashes of noir mood. Though set over the course of several decades and presented out of chronological order, the plot is tightly woven. Its satisfying aha moments are reminiscent of a fine episode of The Twilight Zone. Australian ingénue Snook delivers a gender-bending performance both nuanced and sensitive, and the depth of her turn lends a degree of emotional resonance to what could have just played as a flashy, superficial genre contraption.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:21 am
I wanted to like it, but right from the get-go it seemed extremely predictable. All the time-travel movie cliches are just right there in your face, but the movie takes its sweet time with most of them as if this were somehow new.

It wasn't bad, there just wasn't much there you couldn't have assumed before the title even comes up. Even then, it still could've been workable except I found none of the performances all that captivating. Again, not "bad," but simply not at all noteworthy.

A big issue I had, as I said, was the predictability (yeah, the movie's called Predestination--insert joke here). I just kept waiting for it to NOT go where it telegraphed it was going and that didn't really happen.

Oh well.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:09 am
Pure Phase

Snook won Best Actress at the Australian equivalent of the Academy Awards, defeating Essie Davis in The Babadook and Mia Wasikowska in Tracks.

I now hate this movie! ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:23 pm
now we know

Wow. Haha. That is a surprise.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

knew absolutely nothing about this movie other than it just came out on Redbox and Ethan Hawke is in it. I was blown away by the compelling narrative and plot and snook's great performance.

I don't think the ending is that obvious, as long as you weren't spoilered beforehand this was a time travel movie. reading them afterwards, I feel like most reviews, and even the movie poster and plot summary totally spoilers the movie, considering the movie itself doesn't reveal until halfway through its about time travel.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I don't read reviews, and I saw it before everyone else, and I guessed the ending within the first 5 minutes.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:01 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

That was pretty fantastic I thought. Wow! I really had no expectations. The biggest head-scratcher I've watched since Inception. Sarah Snook is so great here.

9/10 (A-)

Tue May 12, 2015 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]