Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 How to Train Your Dragon 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
D 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

How to Train Your Dragon 2 
Forum General

Post Re: How to Train Your Dragon 2
Chippy wrote:
Kinda like reading your posts.

Like you should talk? :P The movie was boring, deal with it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:44 pm
Forum General

LMAO

I have no issue with someone liking or loving this movie. People have different opinions. For you to judge someone on their posting style (especially when it is someone who has a ridiculous number of people disliking him) is a little ridiculous.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Nobody dislikes me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm
Forum General

Nobody cares about Chip enough to dislike him.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

So the original opening of the film was to take place at Eret's Fort. The sequence made it so far in the filmmaking process, that it was one step away from being digitally animated until... they decided to cut it.

It began with Eret and his companions preparing to ship recently caught dragons to Drago, when Valka and her dragon entourage appear that night. Valka takes out the guards, but this go astray. So she calls upon the Bewilderbeast which protects her and helps free the captured dragons, and demolishes the fort in the process (and seemingly a lot of Eret's men).

We get to see Eret's ruined fort and him discussing what happened to Hiccup and Astrid, though seeing Valka's and her Bewilderbeast's attack on the fort would have been a killer opening.

Kinda of echoing some of the "too dark", "too violent" comments, those reasons happened to by why it was cute. Dean DeBois said some thought the film was suffering from a "dark tone", so to lighten the mood, they cut the scene and opened the film with the Dragon Racing sequence (which was to follow the original opening).

Since the original opening was so far along, hopefully it will be included on the DVD release. The artwork displaying the fort and parts of the scene certainly looked great.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I heard that at one point Valka would be revealed as the villain, while Drago would either be a patsy (like Mandarin) or not used until the 3rd movie. I wonder if there is any truth to that. Would have been a powerful twist. And it would explain why Drago is so underdeveloped. They could have done either that or the original opening. It's not like the movie could be doing any worse at the box office.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:24 pm
Forum General

To be honest, I really liked the opening.

I love, though others do not, that the first film's opening and closing and the second film's opening all are the same shot differing slightly.

I want to be introduced to my favourite characters again, though technically Toothless and Hiccup aren't even there.

Opening with that seems a little contrived? Like, why should I care about the new villain developed specially for the sequel and is hogging up the opening? I like the way we find out through Hiccup.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I heard that at one point Valka would be revealed as the villain, while Drago would either be a patsy (like Mandarin) or not used until the 3rd movie. I wonder if there is any truth to that. Would have been a powerful twist. And it would explain why Drago is so underdeveloped. They could have done either that or the original opening. It's not like the movie could be doing any worse at the box office.

Wow. I wonder where that story would have gone though? I don't like it haha.

I wish Drago was stronger though, perhaps it'd be better if his story was that he was like Hiccup but something made him disillusioned and he became who he is now...which could still ring true in the third.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I wasn't complaining about the opening. :P I probably would still prefer it to Valka's attack on Eret's fort, but that one would have been awesome as well. And plus, having that opening followed by the Dragon Racing opening would have resulted in 10-15 minutes without Hiccup and Toothless. That's certainly too long, and re-introducing the main cast first is the preferred start to the film I'd say.

I still hope the DVD includes the original opening though. Dean seemed to have really liked it, and as I mentioned, everywhere was prepared for it to be digitally animated before getting the axe.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I certainly hope he gives us substantial bonus features! I'd like if their Blu-Rays didn't pander to kids so much.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Chippy wrote:
Kinda like reading your posts.

Oooh burn ;).

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:32 am

I went into this film not wanting to like it, but it turned out to be pretty good. Color me surprised.

A-

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:54 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I finished The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2 earlier this week, and here are some key plot points the principal filmmakers discuss that may be featured in the next film:

Potential spoilers, of course, but nothing major I don't think:

Spoiler: show
>There's a dragon trap (The Scrambler) which will make a screeching sound (intended to paralyze a dragon) that is shown being built in the second film that'll be featured in the next film.

>The dragon hierarchy system will be further explained in the next film.

>Short details about how Drago and his army aren't Vikings, and how they all come from distant, exotic lands that will be expanded upon.

>And finally, the Bewilderbeast battle, when Drago invades the Dragon Sanctuary, is just the start of the future "World War of Dragons".

The last part makes Hiccup's opening from the books (probably a big spoiler here, so you're warned)
"There were dragons when I was a boy."
sound more believable now, too.

And Dean DeBlois did say in an interviews that while working on the outline of the trilogy, that he knows they're going to reach that point where the books begin, and it'll be both bittersweet and beautiful.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

I keep wondering how DeBlois and co. will pull off
that kind of an ending. Forget Stoick's death, this could be more emotionally devastating than the freaking incinerator scene from Toy Story 3. And if Toothless doesn't die, he will inevitably leave Hiccup - maybe finally being able to fly completely on his own? Meaning a goodbye scene like E.T., Return of the King or Toy Story 3. No, it won't turn on the snot works of the cultural zeitgeist like TS3 did, but this kind of ending would leave kids sad as all fucking shit. And possibly their parents. And probably me - ROTK and TS3 are the only two movies I can say with certainty made me cry in the theater (ivaguelyremembercryingattheendoftitanicbutiwastenanditmaynothavehappenedohgodihopeitdidnt) and HTTYD3 could well be the next one.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 am
Extraordinary

Pretty underwhelming. Felt like it was a little rushed and didn't allow for anything to develop properly. The last bit with
Toothless "killing" Hiccup's dad
is effective but not as much as it could've been.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:58 pm
Extraordinary

Really enjoyed this. It felt small in a couple places, but I really liked the story and was surprised with where it went.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

TServo2049 wrote:
I keep wondering how DeBlois and co. will pull off
that kind of an ending. Forget Stoick's death, this could be more emotionally devastating than the freaking incinerator scene from Toy Story 3. And if Toothless doesn't die, he will inevitably leave Hiccup - maybe finally being able to fly completely on his own? Meaning a goodbye scene like E.T., Return of the King or Toy Story 3. No, it won't turn on the snot works of the cultural zeitgeist like TS3 did, but this kind of ending would leave kids sad as all fucking shit. And possibly their parents. And probably me - ROTK and TS3 are the only two movies I can say with certainty made me cry in the theater (ivaguelyremembercryingattheendoftitanicbutiwastenanditmaynothavehappenedohgodihopeitdidnt) and HTTYD3 could well be the next one.

I think it'll be interesting to see if there'll be another time-skip in the next film. Hiccup and his friends would be full-fledged adults then, and it probably makes the most sense to skip ahead a few (or several) years with Hiccup's status now and possible future events.

Assuming there is a "World War of Dragons" that they talk about in the art book (and with the "Bewilderbeast Battle" being like the equivalent of the "Battle of Helms Deep" to the story), having a 20-year old/early 20-something Hiccup leading Berk and/or other tribes into an even larger battle is probably a little too unbelievable.

The filmmakers said they were inspired by The Lord of the Rings when creating the "Bewilderbeast Battle" (the entire team of 500+ worked on the battle). The overhead shot of Valka running out to see Drago's army coming ashore is very reminiscent of Denothor looking upon Pelennor Fields in Return of the King, too. Gil Zimmerman (head of layout) also commented that this shot was the most-expensive, and most-difficult in the film.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

How To Train Your Kaiju Dragon 2 features a pompously juvenile story populated with creepy as fuck puppet people - - it's a nightmare!

2 out of 5.

(The 1st quarter century of this new millennium will not be remembered kindly for it's cgi human animation. :( )

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Lovely. A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am
We had our time together

I thought it was amazing. The first one is my all-time favorite animated movie so I had high expectations for this, and it did not disapoint. It's much more serious than I thought it would be and the visuals were just out of this world. I'll have to see it again to see if it holds up and become a favorite of mine like the first.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

How the fuck this film got too many low scores from KJ members? :roll:

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 am
100% That Bitch

Idk if my mood had snything to do with this but i fucking cried my eyes out with Stoick's death and LOVED it.

Probably my third fsvorite animated film after TS3 and LK

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:20 pm
Ocarina of Time

^ You're so random

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash