Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Edge of Tomorrow 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Edge of Tomorrow 
Sbil

Post Re: Edge of Tomorrow
Surprisingly clever and lots of fun. This is Tom Cruise's most satisfying movie in a while, and Emily Blunt makes for a capable action heroine. B+

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Agreed, there really is no need for her doing that Yoga Position either. And we should all be lucky to have a nickname as cool as Full Metal Bitch

Paxton was definitely channeling his inner Hudson which I loved.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Forum General

Easily Tom Cruise's best work in a while and my second favorite blockbuster of the summer. Just everything about this movie is balls out fun. From the BIG action sequences, visual effects, and of course Emily Blunt's badass/sexy performance are all pretty damn solid. I also loved Bill Paxton's little role even though it isn't very significant. He still plays a hardass very well and it's nice seeing him have fun with his character and chew up the scenery.

I only wish we get more hard edge/fun scifi flicks like this in the future.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:20 pm
Indiana Jones IV

It was pretty good, but the movie is focused on its repetition concept that it forgets to develop everything else.

B

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Yeah, seriously, Emily Blunt all greasy and sweaty in this...wow.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:20 pm
Profile WWW

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Yeah, seriously, Emily Blunt all greasy and sweaty in this...wow.

My top five jokes to that gif:

5. That's literally the whole film
4. That's some serious edging
3. It looks like my penis while watching
2. That's one repetition I'd never tire of
1. They should change the name from gif to giz

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:53 am
now we know

Tom Cruise delivers the goods again, in yet another end-of-the-world threat movie. The special effects and kineticism to the battle scenes is really impressive, but the overriding threat of the Alphas was the best thing. Usually in films, when there's a threat, it's never a big deal. I always think that the hero will overcome it. But these blue plasma Matrix-style Sentinels called Alphas, were awesome in their unforgiving nature.

The story was of course great, and the way that the story was told, with little-to-no humour, and with Tom as the anchor, with his charismatic and charming persona, was a delight. The relationship between Tom and Emily was nice, and the ending was fitting for the trouble that they went through. A great time at the cinema. I was well into the film, and I could have watched another 30 minutes too. The London scenes were nice to see, and just the scope of the project in general was awesome.

The end credits music is not to my liking, and there is some choppy editing between the battles and the calmer scenes, but on the whole it's a great film. The cinematography is on the erratic side instead of the serene, and it probably works best in this type of film. All the actors give great blockbuster-style performances, and the timeline mechanics, without delving too deep, are spot-on. This level of film-making is just far-and-above the usual Hollywood standard. At no point did I think it would disappoint. You just know it's going to deliver, and it does. The best film of the year so far.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You might never pick it out if you were just reading the script, but the funniest line in the movie is:

Spoiler: show
"That was a terrific presentation. Terrific."

Cruise nailed the delivery! The audience I saw it with absolutely burst into laughter. Hilarious!!!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
(it is actually worth seeing in 3D)

I disagree. I was forced to see it in 3D myself, and like last week's Maleficent, this is another film that revels in it's dark color palette and lighting. Do yourself a favor and skip the sunglasses for this one.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:16 am
now we know

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
You might never pick it out if you were just reading the script, but the funniest line in the movie is:

Spoiler: show
"That was a terrific presentation. Terrific."

Cruise nailed the delivery! The audience I saw it with absolutely burst into laughter. Hilarious!!!

I totally agree that it was a great line with great delivery, but I didn't laugh out loud. It's the sort of humour that I like, it's just not belly laugh material.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Magnus wrote:
I enjoyed the "I've never been with two chicks at the same time but if the opportunity came I'm sure I'll make it work". Or something like that.

But again, it's not exactly hilarious. It's more of a "heh" comment.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

For me, the biggest laugh is when Cruise's character misjudges the speed of the truck the first time and get squashed.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:52 am
Quality is a great business plan

choubachou wrote:
It was pretty good, but the movie is focused on its repetition concept that it forgets to develop everything else.

B

I agree. it never pauses enough to soak it in. After a while the repetition concept felt tiresome. yet it is very entertaining and Cruise/Blunt were very good. Didn't care for others. Paxton played another typical military character. Action was ok but nothing super impressive like Cap2 or DOFP. Still very good overall and 3rd best movie behind DOFP/Cap2 this year.

A-

I used to be shawman.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:12 am
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
The audience I saw it with absolutely burst into laughter.
Algren wrote:
I didn't laugh out loud.

I'm glad you weren't in our theatre, bringing us all down.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:16 am
now we know

David wrote:
For me, the biggest laugh is when Cruise's character misjudges the speed of the truck the first time and get squashed.

Also a good moment, but the film didn't focus too much on it for it to be a laugh moment. It was blink and you'll miss it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Keyser Söze wrote:
choubachou wrote:

B

I agree. it never pauses enough to soak it in. After a while the repetition concept felt tiresome. yet it is very entertaining and Cruise/Blunt were very good. Didn't care for others. Paxton played another typical military character. Action was ok but nothing super impressive like Cap2 or DOFP. Still very good overall and 3rd best movie behind DOFP/Cap2 this year.

A-

There was nothing too "showy" about the action but I thought it was fantastic in the way it was used. Very realistic IMO. Again, this is mostly because they have the liberty to let Cruise and everyone else die without consequence, but still, it's hell of a lot better than every other blockbuster where the protagonists/heroes are invincible...like Cap 2.DOFP also had the liberty considering it was playing with future timelines and the like, the only scenes that stood out in that film were the old cast in the opening scene and the best scene in the movie with Quicksilver.

Cap 2 is overrated as hell. The fight on the hellicarrier felt like a scene I'd seen before. Every single thing about it. Was it in the Avengers? Or Iron Man 3? I don't know but the beats, Bucky, felt so predictable, boring and forced. Then you have the immortal Sam Jackson and Black Widow who develops Wolverine powers of healing. Marvel love has got to stop.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:51 am
Profile WWW
now we know

BK wrote:
Cap 2 is overrated as hell. The fight on the hellicarrier felt like a scene I'd seen before. Every single thing about it. Was it in the Avengers? Or Iron Man 3? I don't know but the beats, Bucky, felt so predictable, boring and forced. Then you have the immortal Sam Jackson and Black Widow who develops Wolverine powers of healing. Marvel love has got to stop.
I totally agree. These Marvel films are so shit. They are ultra safe PG-13 teen adventures.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

David wrote:

Yep, that was the funniest moment.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:57 am
Profile WWW

I loved the early stuff with JSquad. Did you interrupt me? Cutting to cruise with tape on his mouth? Also the truck part, mostly due to Paxton saying "Dear god boy, what were you thinking"

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:15 pm
The Kramer

Even after seeing the near universal acclaim this film has acquired, I was still surprised by how much I loved it. I would put it in my top 5 all-time Cruise movies after one viewing easily. After I could want from my action spectacles. Great character work and chemistry between the two leads holds it together throughout. Love Emily Blunt, who does bring a little extra to the oversexualized warrior woman we have seen a million times, so much so that the cliches fly by as an acceptable part of the film. Cruise, on the other hand, is about as Un-Cruise as you can get. A weasel who earns his superstar status instead of being gifted with it at the start of the film? Not too many established action heroes could pull it off. Perhaps the first time ever his small physique is used to his advantage.

The movie never takes itself too seriously though. It is a video game in that way, we can laugh at horrible images because we know they won't stick. Tom Cruise getting run over by a truck shouldn't be as funny as it is. And its funny both times it happens!

I didn't think about it beforehand, but I do agree that it wasn't his first time at the Louvre. My favorite part of the second half was every time we entered a "new" situation only to realize that Cruise had already gone through a potentially infinite number of times. A nice contrast to the beginning where we saw his journey step by step. While also fascinating , that would have gotten old. Yet at the Louvre he seems more concerned with saving Emily than destroying the final Omega. We also see, earlier in the film, how much easier it is for Cruise to operate on his own. "Neither of us are getting out of here" finally snaps him out of it. If he doesn't reset again, at least he doesn't have to live without her. That is why the original title "All You Need Is Kill" would have been so much better. I blame the movies poor performance on its boring ass title. Good thing a title change isn't able to screw up the actual movie.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:26 pm
Extraordinary

Eh, I kinda wish I saw this before the glowing reviews, I was kinda underwhelmed, especially by the last 20 minutes or so. I still liked it though, I thought they handled the repeating the same day thing pretty effectively.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:00 pm
Extraordinary

I watched the movie again with my parents (who kept on saying it was just flashbacks, which isn't true... lol) and it holds up well. still not in love with it but it's a very solid summer flick.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 pm
Wallflower

After good but disappointing summer blockbusters like Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past it's great to find an exciting, funny, clever flick like this that delivers and then some. This will probably be the most entertaining action movie of the summer. LOVED every minute of it. Emily Blunt makes for a kick-ass female action star.

9/10 (A)

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:34 pm
Extraordinary

Don't have much to say but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Really great stuff. Cruise and Blunt are near the top of their game here and work perfectly off each other. The concept is done well and becomes more interesting without feeling ridiculous. Also great editing and comedy with this one. Perhaps the best summer blockbuster thus far.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I want the Blu-ray to be called the "Full Metal Bitch Edition."

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next