Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 X-Men: Days of Future Past 

What grade would you give this film?
A 52%  52%  [ 12 ]
B 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

You must have big rats

Post X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
X-Men: Days of Future Past is a 2014 American superhero film, based on the fictional X-Men characters appearing in Marvel Comics and on the 1981 Uncanny X-Men storyline "Days of Future Past" by Chris Claremont and John Byrne. Directed by Bryan Singer and distributed by 20th Century Fox, it is the seventh film in the X-Men film series and the third X-Men film directed by Singer after 2000's X-Men and 2003's X2. It stars an ensemble cast including Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Nicholas Hoult, Shawn Ashmore, Peter Dinklage, Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. The story is written by Simon Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn, and Jane Goldman, with Kinberg writing the screenplay.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past
Ah, this is so good. Puts Godzilla to shame, I must admit. And the post-credits sequence got me very excited for the next one!!

Fri May 16, 2014 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Ah, this is so good. Puts Godzilla to shame, I must admit. And the post-credits sequence got me very excited for the next one!!

Kewl. How do you compare this to Cap2.

I used to be shawman.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 am
Ocarina of Time

Dr. Lecter wrote:

This is so good to hear

Extremely excited to watch it :clap2:

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 am
You must have big rats

Keyser Söze wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Slightly better, though I loved Cap2, so...

Fri May 16, 2014 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Slightly better, though I loved Cap2, so...

Awesome. I loved Cap2 as well.

I used to be shawman.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 am
Top Poster

Warning spoilers!!!

I really wanted to like it more but in the end I give it a B- . I think the biggest issue I have with it is it tries too hard to tie everything together and in the end unfortunately half of it doesn't add up. It would have probably been better to reboot this franchise totally.

In the near future the last of our mutants are fighting an unstoppable enemy and the only way to stay ahead of them is utilizing Kitty's previously unseen/used mind time travel power. Everyone including Magneto realizes eventually this strategy will fail. A plan is set in motion to send some one back more than a few minutes to an unheard of 50 years. The Professor is the logical choice but it would more than likely destroy his mind so the natural choice of course is Wolverine. Several issues come up immediately for fans of the series. First if you didn't watch the end credits of last summers Wolverine, how is Professor X alive in his former body, second how does Wolverine have his metal claws back after being left with bone from his last film? This gets even more confusing when he wakes up in the past and has bone claws after what X2 had us believe happened earlier than the 70's.

The action, effects throughout the film are great and the scenes from the 70's really capture the period well.

Peter Dinklage is great as Trask but unfortunately because of his physical appearance it's really hard to take him seriously or not think of Tyrion from GOT.

Halle Berry's "Storm" continues to be criminally underused/developed in the series but I guess you could say that about all the X-men with the exception of Wolverine.

Loved the Cyclops/Jean scene but WTF with the blink and you'll miss Rogue, and I'm not even sure it was Anna Paquin.

Even with the dozens of continuity, logic, script problems it's still a very fun movie.

As for the end credit sequence unless you are a fan of the comics or old 90's TV cartoon it won't leave you clamoring for what happens next.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:46 pm
You must have big rats

Passionate Thug wrote:
how does Wolverine have his metal claws back after being left with bone from his last film?

That is actualy the only part that didn't make sense to me. I am not sure that in X2 it was implied that he got his adamantium skeleton before 1970.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Passionate Thug wrote:
how does Wolverine have his metal claws back after being left with bone from his last film?

That is actualy the only part that didn't make sense to me. I am not sure that in X2 it was implied that he got his adamantium skeleton before 1970.

Singer had said something about that when the first photo came back. He had mentioned that they just thought it would be superfluous but that Magneto could basically mold the metal back onto his claws, or simple as someone like Sunspot melting it so much that Logan could just dip his claws into it to regain them.

Also Origins takes place around the late 70s so the Bone Claws would be there. Remember Logan had his bone claws after the Vietnam War. And Professor X is alive at the end of Last Stand. I kind of liked that Singer chose to ignore certain parts. It actually feels more comic book like or like an old Monster Movie like you never know why they can come back but they just do.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm
Extraordinary

Passionate Thug wrote:
First if you didn't watch the end credits of last summers Wolverine, how is Professor X alive in his former body

Watch the end credits of X-MEN: THE LAST STAND again.

Passionate Thug wrote:
This gets even more confusing when he wakes up in the past and has bone claws after what X2 had us believe happened earlier than the 70's.

X2 never said anything like that. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE's finale takes place in 1979.

Fri May 16, 2014 1:13 pm
Top Poster

The Dark Shape wrote:
Passionate Thug wrote:
First if you didn't watch the end credits of last summers Wolverine, how is Professor X alive in his former body

Watch the end credits of X-MEN: THE LAST STAND again.

Passionate Thug wrote:
This gets even more confusing when he wakes up in the past and has bone claws after what X2 had us believe happened earlier than the 70's.

X2 never said anything like that. X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE's finale takes place in 1979.

Charles transfers his mind into another totally different body after Jean destroys his in the Last stand, so how does he show up in his old body. Also I guess he uses Beast's formula when it's "convenient" as he was walking and bald in the beginning of X3 but wait a minute he also had his mind powers which are supposed to be suppressed :roll:

Fri May 16, 2014 1:50 pm
Extraordinary

The coma patient in LAST STAND was conveniently played by Patrick Stewart. :)

And the LAST STAND opening was already goofed by FIRST CLASS crippling Xavier in the first place. At least now there's sort of an explanation for it.

If you're going to complain about continuity -- which the series has been really bad with -- why not complain that Stryker's like 28 here and 50 in WOLVERINE, set only a few years after? (Even though it's been wiped from continuity.)

Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 pm
Top Poster

The Dark Shape wrote:

And the LAST STAND opening was already goofed by FIRST CLASS crippling Xavier in the first place. At least now there's sort of an explanation for it.

If you're going to complain about continuity -- which the series has been really bad with -- why not complain that Stryker's like 28 here and 50 in WOLVERINE, set only a few years after? (Even though it's been wiped from continuity.)
:thumbsup: :zonks: :hahaha:

It's a good film but since I'm also a huge fan of the series (except the wolverine spin- offs) the continuity is really bugging me especially with them trying link all the films instead of rebooting. You are so right about the ages as well as when X and Magneto meet Jean in what i assume is the late seventies or early eighties

Fri May 16, 2014 2:08 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

You assume a lot.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm

is it that hard to accept the movie for what it is: A stand alone film not only celebrating what came before it, but bringing it together to move forward in a more flowing motion. Also, Superheroes in comics change from story lines all the time. Don't forget Steward played Xavier in Origins about 6 years after the present part of this one.

I just think of Looper 30 year montage, you know they'll never merge it properly, but at some point in that montage JGL is eventually just going to be taken over by Willis

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:
You assume a lot.

This.

Fri May 16, 2014 2:46 pm
The Original

Just to understand that right

Spoiler: show
They do not explain in the movie how Steward gets back in his old/normal body?

Fri May 16, 2014 7:50 pm
You must have big rats

FILMO wrote:

Not in this film, but you know if you have seen the post-credits scene in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Dr. Lecter wrote:
FILMO wrote:

Not in this film, but you know if you have seen the post-credits scene in X-Men: The Last Stand.

WAIT

Stewards body is destroyed in the Last Stand during that scene in the house. In the post credit scene he is in a new body from a stranger right? So where the heck does his old body in future past come back? Did I miss something?

Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 pm
You must have big rats

FILMO wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
FILMO wrote:

WAIT

Stewards body is destroyed in the Last Stand during that scene in the house. In the post credit scene he is in a new body from a stranger right? So where the heck does his old body in future past come back? Did I miss something?

The Dark Shape wrote:

Fri May 16, 2014 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

The fuck?

So they out of nowhere somehow puzzled his body back in one piece without showing it or talk about it. YAY a miracle! Thats some weak storytelling.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 pm
Extraordinary

In THE LAST STAND we saw him jump into a guy who looked exactly like him ('cause apparently he's his brother or something based on bullshit comics). When exactly are they supposed to explain it here considering DAYS OF FUTURE PAST starts over ten years after X3?

Fri May 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Professor X can also put another man's image on a body, meaning even if wasn't in his twin brother as X3 said, he could project his image onto the new guys face.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 16, 2014 10:49 pm
The Original

Thegun wrote:
Professor X can also put another man's image on a body, meaning even if wasn't in his twin brother as X3 said, he could project his image onto the new guys face.

Ok. I can live with that. But that was never explained or shown in any X-Men movie right?
You have to know the comics for that?

Fri May 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Actually I've never read an X-men comic, but I loved the 90s animated series. X3 actually takes it's time, Professor X has about a 4 minute class on whether it is ethical to transfer someones consciousness into someone that is brain dead and teases the scene that unfolds in the post credit sequence.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri May 16, 2014 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next