Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 

What grade would you give this film?
A 76%  76%  [ 26 ]
B 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

College Boy Z

Post Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Quote:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is a 1989 American adventure film directed by Steven Spielberg, from a story co-written by executive producer George Lucas. It is the third film in the Indiana Jones franchise. Harrison Ford reprises the title role and Sean Connery plays Indiana's father, Henry Jones, Sr. Alison Doody, Denholm Elliott, Julian Glover, River Phoenix, and John Rhys-Davies also have featured roles. In the film, set largely in 1938, Indiana searches for his father, a Holy Grail scholar, who has been kidnapped by Nazis.

After the mixed reaction to the dark Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Spielberg chose to compensate by completing the trilogy with a film lighter in tone. During the five years between Temple of Doom and Last Crusade, he and executive producer Lucas reviewed several scripts before accepting Jeffrey Boam's. Filming locations included Spain, Italy, England, Turkey and Jordan.

The film was released in North America on May 24, 1989 to mostly positive reviews. It was a financial success, earning $474,171,806 at the worldwide box office totals. It won the Academy Award for Best Sound Editing.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:29 pm
I'm Batman

Indiana Jones returns to fight the Nazis and I love it. How can you not like Sean Connery as Jones' father.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:41 pm
Indiana Jones IV

My favorite Indiana JOnes film. Has everything a amazing movie needs!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Excellent movie with awesome chemistry b/w Ford and Connery.

A

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

By far my favourite IJ movie. Connery and Ford are hilarious!!! A+ One of my big childhood faves.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Great except for the first 20 minutes with Phoenix who seems out of place and overly boy scouty. But the rest of it was top notch, can't ask for more in a light adventure.

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Aslan Reigns Supreme

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:31 pm
Golfaholic

I think it's on par with the first one. It might not have the novelty of the first one, but the interaction between Connery and Ford is priceless (Dad, the chair's on fire - I know!)... A+

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:07 am
now we know

The best of the lot, Sean Connery is awesome, but Harrison Ford excels!!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Post WHY?!?!?
Horrible, HORRIBLE. A rehash of the superior Raiders. The Nazis are jokes, they are not threatening or menacing unlike the ones in Raiders. Indiana Jones' father Henry jokes is a idiot and I hate him. He is not funny and has no place in this movie other to make some stupid comments. It has too many mistakes (Iehova? STUPID). The characters become 'comic relief.' Marcus used to be serious and like a father to Indy, now he is just a joke. I literally thought they were going to put clown music when Marcus was at that Arabian country.

STUPID
STUPID
STUPID

D -

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
George A. Romero

A

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:37 pm
Mod Team Leader

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
The greatest third installment of a series ever, 28 December 1999

Thanks to the Godfather and Rocky movies, sequels became a part of our vernacular in the 70's. If there was a sequel before these two franchises, I can't remember them. And since sequels have meant pretty much big bucks at the box office, many times they are pale imitations to the original. To name a few movie franchises that have now gone on to do at least three films, you have the Rocky's, Godfather, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Aliens, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Jaws, Star Wars, Batman, Rambo, Superman, Scream, Child's Play, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. These are just a few of the film franchises that have gone on to do at least three films. And I can guarantee you that no film series can boast that their third offering is almost as good as their first. It just doesn't happen. It is hard to duplicate the energy and originality of the first one that came out. But the Indy movies are different. First of all they are created by two of the best in the business and they star one of the greatest actors to ever live. And what you get when you have two creative genius behind the scenes is a series that tries so hard to please and a series that doesn't rehash the story that made the first one work. You get a story that furthers the trials and tribulations of the hero Indiana Jones, and you get a film that keeps giving you insights into his life. In the first, we meet Indiana Jones, the daring archeologist that risks life and limb to recover artifacts for his museum. You also meet Marion Ravenwood, a long lost love, Marcus Brody, his mentor and boss and Sola, one of best friends from Cairo and Belloq ( or according to Sola, Bellosh ). Temple of Doom takes us back in time and introduces us to Short Round. And finally we have Last Crusade. Here we meet Indiana Jones as a teenager. We are introduced to the folklore that is Indiana Jones. We see how his fear of snakes started, how he was introduced to his bullwhip and his fedora and even how he got that famous scar on his chin. And in the casting coup of the century, we meet his dad played by Sean Connery. We are also treated to some familiar faces as Brody and Sola return. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the best second sequel ever made. This could have been the beginning to a series if we didn't already know about Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is that much fun and so filled with richness.

The only complaint that I have about this film is what they did with Marcus Brody. In Raiders, he tells Indy that if he were five years younger he would have gone after the Ark himself. He was a warrior and one who probably went on many adventures in the style that Indy did. But in this one they forgot all about that adventurous side to him and instead they went for comic relief at his expense. Any true Indy fan will tell you that he should have been able to handle himself when he bumped into Sola. He should have been everything that Indy told Ilsa and Donovan that he was when they found out that Brody had the map. But aside from this small discrepency, the film is flawless and one of the most entertaining films ever made. And even though the talent involved here dictates that it should be perfect, keep in mind that making a sequel is never easy. You now have devoted fans that are going to judge you with every written word, every swing of the whip and every new character introduced. Last Crusade succeeds where most others fail and that is perhaps because the makers and star of this film ( Steven, George, Frank and Harrison ) care about Indiana Jones. They want him to be the same as he was in Raiders and Temple.

I saw this film 12 times at the theatre when it came out. I was fortunate enough to know an usher at The London Mews back in 1989 and he let me stay for the second and third showing of the day ( and night ) free of charge. This was a time when movies were events, they were and still are larger than life to me. I get excited when I see a good one and I get anxious when a movie like this comes out. I sincerely hope they get around to making a fourth one because as excited as I was to see Star Wars Episode 1, that excitement will pale in comparison to when I am sitting in the theater one day and I am waiting to see the new Tom Hanks movie ( whatever that may be at the time ) and that John Williams music invades the speakers and tells me that there is a new Indy movie that is going to be released on Victoria Day Weekend ( here in Canada that is). I will count the days down until it comes out.

The Indy movies are what movies are all about. They are a micorcosm of entertainment and as close to a religious experience, filmwise, as you can come. Raiders was a great beginning, Temple furthered the story wonderfully and Crusade summed it up beautifully. My life is richer because Indiana Jones is a part of it, and I know I am not the only one that feels that way.

Gary, if you ever read this review, buddy, this one is for you. Long live Indiana Jones!!

Sat May 07, 2005 9:12 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I mean, do I even need to say why? It's my 2nd favorite of the franchise, one of the best adventure flicks ever, isanely rewatchable, never boring, always exciting, pure fun and Connery is top-notch.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:21 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

The perfect end, to arguably the most enjoyable and quality wise trilogy ever made after the original Star Wars and now LOTR. I love all three films equally, even though Raiders is no doubt the best quality wise. However, any day of the week and I could tell you a different one which one I love the most. Truly one of the rare treats of every installment being awesome in every way. A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:29 am
Extraordinary

Worst of the trilogy, but still a bit enertaining because of Sean Connery.

3 out of 5.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:45 am
Devil's Advocate

Best of the series.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:44 pm
---------

My absolute favorite of the series. Raiders and Temple seem so tame compared to it. Everything about this movie is perfect, it's hilarious, action-packed, and well-acted. All the characters are likable and the enemies are well-despised. There's just so many great sequences in the movie like the whole tank scene, the airplane attacks, young Indy, and obviously the 3 tasks at the end.

Grade: A+ (In my top 5 of all-time)

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:06 pm
loyalfromlondon

Classic adventure flick, one of the most enjoyable films of all time. Basically just a rehash of Raiders (Nazi villains, Christian artifact, Middle East setting), but still done exceptionally well. Ford is iconic and Connery is lots of fun.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:40 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Cracking end? to the Indiana Jones series. Connery and Ford play brilliantly off one and other and nobody makes better villians then Nazi's its like they were created for that sole purpose. Only weak point is Goody who is a pretty lightweight female interest but thats a minor quibbly.

In my Top 100 for sure

A

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:21 pm
Extraordinary

I made a mistake and hit "C" -- I thought I was voting for Temple of Doom for some reason. Drat!

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Argh!

I made a mistake and hit "C" -- I thought I was voting for Temple of Doom for some reason. Drat!

And it had a perfect score..

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:37 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Argh!

:sad: That doesnt belong on Temple of Doom either, for shame.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:42 pm
Argh!

My makeshift magic skills sort of worked.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:52 pm
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:
Argh!

My makeshift magic skills sort of worked.

Thank you!

Although I like Raiders better, this one still gets an A in my book!

Temple of Doom is great for the first 20 minutes or so... but that's another thread.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next