Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Raiders of the Lost Ark 

What grade would you give this film?
A 91%  91%  [ 30 ]
B 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 33

Raiders of the Lost Ark 
College Boy Z

Post Raiders of the Lost Ark
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Quote:
Raiders of the Lost Ark (also known as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark) is a 1981 American adventure film directed by Steven Spielberg, produced by George Lucas, and starring Harrison Ford. It is the first (chronologically the second) film in the Indiana Jones franchise. It pits Indiana Jones (Ford) against the Nazis, who search for the Ark of the Covenant, because Adolf Hitler believes it will make their army invincible. The film co-starred Karen Allen as Indiana's former lover, Marion Ravenwood; Paul Freeman as Indiana's nemesis, French archaeologist René Belloq; John Rhys-Davies as Indiana's sidekick, Sallah; and Denholm Elliott as Indiana's colleague, Marcus Brody.

The film originated with Lucas' desire to create a modern version of the serials of the 1930s and 1940s. Production was based at Elstree Studios, England; but filming also took place in La Rochelle, Tunisia, Hawaii, and California from June to September 1980.

Released on June 12, 1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark became the top-grossing film of 1981; it remains one of the highest-grossing films ever made. It was nominated for eight Academy Awards in 1982, including Best Picture, and won four (Best Art Direction, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects) as well as winning a fifth Special Achievement Academy Award in Sound Editing. The film's critical and popular success led to three additional films, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), a television series, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1992–1996), and 15 video games as of 2009. In 1999, the film was included in the United States Library of Congress' National Film Registry as having been deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:28 pm
I'm Batman

Best of the Indiana Jones trilogy. No opening sequence can top its'.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:42 pm
Indiana Jones IV

2nd best Indiana Jone film. Great Action, and acting. Ford does a great job!!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

The best of the trilogy and one of Ford's top three movies. It never ages when I watch it. The opening sequence and that incredible scene at the end just can't be topped. It's a true classic. I rate it an A.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

My second favorite of the series,Fun from start to end.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
I never liked any of the IJ movies. I always found them to be pretty overrated. They weren't awful or anything, but they were far from great. B- sounds about right for the first one, then the second was pretty C worthy, and then the 3rd one was maybe a B/B-.
Something i have always found odd was that i never really cared for the Indiana Jones movies or the Back to the Future movies. They were like the big 80's franchises, and i always found them all rather childish.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:21 pm
I'm Batman

I never liked any of the IJ movies. I always found them to be pretty overrated. They weren't awful or anything, but they were far from great. B- sounds about right for the first one, then the second was pretty C worthy, and then the 3rd one was maybe a B/B-.
Something i have always found odd was that i never really cared for the Indiana Jones movies or the Back to the Future movies. They were like the big 80's franchises, and i always found them all rather childish.

BLASHPHEMY!!

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:02 am
Extraordinary

The gold standard of adventure films. The best opening sequence ever. So many classic scenes, so much fun. A.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:43 am
Profile WWW
---------

As a child, I owned a copy of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and a taped version of the Temple of Doom. I watched Last Crusade over and over, and just recently I got to view Raiders of the Lost Ark. I definetley still like Last Crusade better, because of all the tank sequences and more epic story, but Raiders is a fun adventure. I know how great it would have been in its time.

Grade: 93.7 , A / A-

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:26 pm
Veteran

A+

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

What a Ride! This movie just doesn't take a pause. It's one action set piece after another, it has wonderful characters and witty dialogue. This is why Harrison Ford was THE movie star of the 80s and 90s. And the best thing is, it just doesn't get worse no matter how often you watch it. A+

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:10 am
We had our time together

This is my least favourite IJ movie. Which doesn't mean it's a bad movie. :wink: B+

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:23 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark - B+

Good movie.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

The greatest movie ever made!
I just can't get enough of this movie!
Great action, story, acting, everything!

10/10!!!

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Great acting. Cool story, and I'm sure the effects were incredible for it's time. I just wish the characters could have been developed....at all...

B+/A-

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:00 pm
Hot Fuss

The greatest adventure flick ever crafted. Duh.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
George A. Romero

My favorite IJ movie. A classic adventure

A+

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:45 pm
Where will you be?

A+, this is THE movie I grew up on, it's one of my five favorite movies of all time.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:23 pm
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

A+, this is THE movie I grew up on, it's one of my five favorite movies of all time.

\:D/ :2up:

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Laughable and pathetic. I'm embarassed to admit I was stupid enough to have been attracted to it as a kid. I've grown up since.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Laughable and pathetic. I'm embarassed to admit I was stupid enough to have been attracted to it as a kid. I've grown up since.

I hope your joking.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:14 pm
You must have big rats

box_2005 wrote:

I hope your joking.

He's not:

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4589

:cry: :mad: :mad:

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I am Inigo Montoya. You have disrespected my favorite movie; prepare to die. :duel

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:22 pm
Extraordinary

Tell me this: suppose you're not having fun watching this, at all. And you don't find it to be clever or fresh or of any significance to you.

Would you still think of it as a good movie? Indiana Jones relies heavily on the audience's likability of it to be a good film, to them at least. That's a harder argument to make with, say, E.T., which can be judged as a good film objectively. For example, it does a good job in providing a critique of divorce and this image of suburbia as a perfect place. What kind of lesson is there to be found in Indiana Jones? That you shouldn't be greedy or curious? That the lost ark should be left alone? One of the things I really appreciate about the film is that it does a really good job dissing the Nazis, but we all know they're bad guys anyways. They're not charismatic (how could they be?), they're just bad bad people.

I think as an icon, Indiana Jones will be around for a long time. The films might be viewed only in order to see how this icon came into being. That's a possibility down the road. I can imagine Star Wars (which is much better) being approached in the same way by a lot of people who are curious about Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, and watch the film for that reason, and not because they're interested in the film itself.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Guyssssssssss

Tell me this: suppose you're not having fun watching this, at all. And you don't find it to be clever or fresh or of any significance to you.

Would you still think of it as a good movie? Indiana Jones relies heavily on the audience's likability of it to be a good film, to them at least. That's a harder argument to make with, say, E.T., which can be judged as a good film objectively. For example, it does a good job in providing a critique of divorce and this image of suburbia as a perfect place. What kind of lesson is there to be found in Indiana Jones? That you shouldn't be greedy or curious? That the lost ark should be left alone? One of the things I really appreciate about the film is that it does a really good job dissing the Nazis, but we all know they're bad guys anyways. They're not charismatic (how could they be?), they're just bad bad people.

I think as an icon, Indiana Jones will be around for a long time. The films might be viewed only in order to see how this icon came into being. That's a possibility down the road. I can imagine Star Wars (which is much better) being approached in the same way by a lot of people who are curious about Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, and watch the film for that reason, and not because they're interested in the film itself.

Says someone who loved The Incredibles :lol:

Seriously, if you believe that every movie shall teach you a lesson of something, then go and take some class and skip out on movies ;)

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next