Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Raiders of the Lost Ark 

What grade would you give this film?
A 91%  91%  [ 30 ]
B 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 33

Raiders of the Lost Ark 
On autopilot for the summer

Thegun wrote:
baumer72 wrote:
Okay, if you want to look for a message in Raiders, it is never give up. This film is about as inspirational and message laden as Rocky. I have always admired Indy for his never say die, never give up attitude. It is one of the things that dfrew me to Indy in the beginning. He is not a super-hero, he is not invincible, he is not a guy who can walk on walls or chop socki his way out of danger. What he embodies is a spirit than we can all learn from, and that is soemthing that has meant a lot to me over the years.

Ew box, I can't believe you would say the Incredibles has a message while Raiders of the Lost Ark doesnt.

Easy messages found in Raiders of the Lost ark are:
-a strong view towards politics, look at the ending of the film.
- Why you must follow your passions
-I agree with inspiration
- Its ultimate message is that if you have a chance to do good, then do it. Not only that, Indiana Jones is the first real, everday hero. He bleeds, aches, and makes mistakes. His message is that you dont have to be amazing to do amazing things, you just have to believe in yourself.
It also has strong ideas on Religion, Escapism, friends, romance, and of course History.

This movie is easily one of the most important films of the 1980s, for not only redifining the action and adventure genre's, but it is a near perfect film with thrills, comedy, scares, breathtaking action and scenery, a briliant script executed well, great score, and above average acting. I think spielbergs biggest rob ever at the academy for best Picture. It is my favorite film of all time, and will always be A+

You can like the incredibles all you want, but it didnt do anything amazing for animation. CGI has been around for years now.
The incredibles biggest message was a lot like Greece, you have to hinder who you are to be accepted in the world.

Well said Gun. It is in my top five, only being behind JAWS, and ET, and just ahead of JFK and American Beauty. Yes, my top three films of all time are Spielberg films.

I can take people not liking Indiana Jones, as hard as that is, but saying the incredibles is important to American is one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:50 pm
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:
Thegun wrote:
baumer72 wrote:
Okay, if you want to look for a message in Raiders, it is never give up. This film is about as inspirational and message laden as Rocky. I have always admired Indy for his never say die, never give up attitude. It is one of the things that dfrew me to Indy in the beginning. He is not a super-hero, he is not invincible, he is not a guy who can walk on walls or chop socki his way out of danger. What he embodies is a spirit than we can all learn from, and that is soemthing that has meant a lot to me over the years.

Ew box, I can't believe you would say the Incredibles has a message while Raiders of the Lost Ark doesnt.

Easy messages found in Raiders of the Lost ark are:
-a strong view towards politics, look at the ending of the film.
- Why you must follow your passions
-I agree with inspiration
- Its ultimate message is that if you have a chance to do good, then do it. Not only that, Indiana Jones is the first real, everday hero. He bleeds, aches, and makes mistakes. His message is that you dont have to be amazing to do amazing things, you just have to believe in yourself.
It also has strong ideas on Religion, Escapism, friends, romance, and of course History.

This movie is easily one of the most important films of the 1980s, for not only redifining the action and adventure genre's, but it is a near perfect film with thrills, comedy, scares, breathtaking action and scenery, a briliant script executed well, great score, and above average acting. I think spielbergs biggest rob ever at the academy for best Picture. It is my favorite film of all time, and will always be A+

You can like the incredibles all you want, but it didnt do anything amazing for animation. CGI has been around for years now.
The incredibles biggest message was a lot like Greece, you have to hinder who you are to be accepted in the world.

Well said Gun. It is in my top five, only being behind JAWS, and ET, and just ahead of JFK and American Beauty. Yes, my top three films of all time are Spielberg films.

I can take people not liking Indiana Jones, as hard as that is, but saying the incredibles is important to American is one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Another good point. The Incredibles? What is that anyway? If we are talking movies with a message and in soem warped way, someone actually believes that TI has a better and more important message that ROTLA? MMMM...NO!!

Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Meh, I don't think The Incredibles has an outstanding messsage. I don't think Raiders has one either. But, seriously, who on earth would want for every single movie to have a message (well, except for Box)? Raiders is pure entertainment and it is entertainment of a kind that you rarely get nowadays. It is original, suspenseful, well-acted, involving, innovative and never, never boring? In that case, why do you need a message?

When I see movies like Indy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spider-Man, The Rock...I really don't look for a message. That's what I reserve Closer, Sideways and American Beauty for.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

The best action/adventure film of all-time, and one of the most entertaining movies ever. Everything about this film just works. From the fantastic opening scene to the mysterious final shot, it never stops. Great moviemaking at its finest.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:10 am
Indiana Jones IV

Just watched it again for the first time in two years, and what I ride. The movie starts you off by grabbing your attention with that amazing opening sequence, and never letting go. The effects made me laugh, as compared to modern day effects, those are horrible, but im sure back then those effects were the shit. Ford does a great job, as he usually does in all his movies. A great mix of romance, action, comedy, and more all in one movie. A

Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
Madoshi

Great summer entertainment! Like riding a rollercoaster! More Positive Blurbs!

Seriously - one of the best films ever made, a throwback to the studio films of the thirties - though only in the sense that it is a pure expression of what those studios were after.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark
Steven Spielberg strikes again. And by strikes again, I mean has a film that everyone else on the planet thinks is one of the best ever, and when I finally get to it, can only give a B+. Just like Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List and E.T. Mmm you little bastard Steven.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is fun. It is. But, even I can't believe I'm saying this, it's too light! Malcolm and Box brought this up on the first page, and while I can't agree with Box's overall views(which makes no sense by the way, isn't North by Northwest one of your favorite movies? Wtf Box???), I do agree that the film is borderline childish. It's a Saturday morning cartoon brought to life. It really is. The hero, the hidden treasure and ark, the men setting him up for his adventure, the moustache twirling bad guys, the goofy thugs to beat up along the way. I can understand all the nostalgia and growing up with it as a favorite, yea. But for someone watching it now, it didn't work quite as perfectly.

The plotline was enjoyable, though again right out of Saturday fun. It was pretty bare bones... find the headstone, use the map room, get the ark out of the well, have the ark stolen, stolen back, and stolen again, Indy bluffs, ark opens, the end. Enough for a 30 minute episode. But I didn't dislike it.

Now, some positives, (I still did like this film after all, heh). The actors were all fantastic here... Ford was his usual charasmatic movie star self, though some of his vocal line deliveries were off, it didn't hurt his work. Karen Allen was a total total sparkplug as Marion, she's one of those "I would marry her" characters. Freeman was a good villain in Balloq, maybe the one villain not twirling his moustache figuratively in the film. Everyone else was pretty solid, did their jobs.

The opening scene, the opening of the ark, and the last shot are all iconic, some of the most iconic ever, and they're done perfectly and deserve their fame. The face peeling... wow. Spielberg's direction was quite good here, really good. Structuring the action sequences, framing the characters on screen, shadows on the walls.

The score is one of the finest ever. I actually liked the violin stuff more than the main theme, though that's probably because I've heard the latter so much.

And finally, the film is really really enjoyable. It's a fun ride. It had a good time watching it. I just have to agree with Box on this one, when people talk about Raiders as one of the best films, 90% of the praise is "Its so fun" and comments on its charisma and adventure. But on its own away from the fun and charisma as he said, aside from the iconic 3 scenes I mentioned, it doesn't really stand out. It's a Saturday morning cartoon. It's just a fun 2 hour diversion, nothing more nothing less.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:05 am
On autopilot for the summer

Shack wrote:
Steven Spielberg strikes again. And by strikes again, I mean has a film that everyone else on the planet thinks is one of the best ever, and when I finally get to it, can only give a B+. Just like Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List and E.T. Mmm you little bastard Steven.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is fun. It is. But, even I can't believe I'm saying this, it's too light! Malcolm and Box brought this up on the first page, and while I can't agree with Box's overall views(which makes no sense by the way, isn't North by Northwest one of your favorite movies? Wtf Box???), I do agree that the film is borderline childish. It's a Saturday morning cartoon brought to life. It really is. The hero, the hidden treasure and ark, the men setting him up for his adventure, the moustache twirling bad guys, the goofy thugs to beat up along the way. I can understand all the nostalgia and growing up with it as a favorite, yea. But for someone watching it now, it didn't work quite as perfectly.

The plotline was enjoyable, though again right out of Saturday fun. It was pretty bare bones... find the headstone, use the map room, get the ark out of the well, have the ark stolen, stolen back, and stolen again, Indy bluffs, ark opens, the end. Enough for a 30 minute episode. But I didn't dislike it.

Now, some positives, (I still did like this film after all, heh). The actors were all fantastic here... Ford was his usual charasmatic movie star self, though some of his vocal line deliveries were off, it didn't hurt his work. Karen Allen was a total total sparkplug as Marion, she's one of those "I would marry her" characters. Freeman was a good villain in Balloq, maybe the one villain not twirling his moustache figuratively in the film. Everyone else was pretty solid, did their jobs.

The opening scene, the opening of the ark, and the last shot are all iconic, some of the most iconic ever, and they're done perfectly and deserve their fame. The face peeling... wow. Spielberg's direction was quite good here, really good. Structuring the action sequences, framing the characters on screen, shadows on the walls.

The score is one of the finest ever. I actually liked the violin stuff more than the main theme, though that's probably because I've heard the latter so much.

And finally, the film is really really enjoyable. It's a fun ride. It had a good time watching it. I just have to agree with Box on this one, when people talk about Raiders as one of the best films, 90% of the praise is "Its so fun" and comments on its charisma and adventure. But on its own away from the fun and charisma as he said, aside from the iconic 3 scenes I mentioned, it doesn't really stand out. It's a Saturday morning cartoon. It's just a fun 2 hour diversion, nothing more nothing less.

Glad you liked it Shack, but I think it has more than 3 iconic scenes. I mean The Swordsman being shot has to be one of the cleverest and funniest things I've ever seen on screen. Indys look of "Get the fuck out of here" is awesome. The Truck Chase, and the bar fight. But I'm rambling now. Glad you liked it. I hope you get to watch the others again as well. I agree you might get the most enjoyment out of Temple or Last Crusade.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:07 pm
Where will you be?

Shack wrote:

I'm glad you liked it, but I think you're missing the point of the film's serial nature. It's meant to be swashbuckling escapism, not one of those doofy, overly complicated action films that takes itself oh-so-seriously.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:51 pm
loyalfromlondon

I think if you had first seen this movie when you were younger, you probably would have liked it a lot more, Shack. This is one of the most important movies of my childhood, and for that, it gets an A+ from me. But if I were to watch it now for the first time, I might have a similar opinion to you....

....but probably not. C'mon, it's fucking Raiders! :nono:

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:01 pm
Extraordinary

One of the best films ever made. I can't think of a thing I would do to improve it.

Yes, it's not as important as Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan, but what's wrong with that? All entertainment doesn't have to be serious to be good. This should have been Spielberg's first Oscar.

Oh, and I saw it first as an adult, in the theatre, unlike you kids.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Groucho wrote:
Oh, and I saw it first as an adult, in the theatre, unlike you kids.

I envy you.

If there is ever a screening of this near Boston, I'm going. If this film plays so well on a small screen, I can't even think of what it's like on a big screen.

I really can't wait for next year.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

This is actually my favourite Spielberg film, just ahead of E.T. and Jaws. Haven't seen Schindler, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Extraordinary

This film is trash. Stay away from it.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:25 pm
Profile WWW

You're all talk, Box.

If you meant business, all the votes for this movie wouldn't be As.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Box wrote:
This film is trash. Stay away from it.

You're garbage.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:15 am
Extraordinary

Fine. I gave it the F it deserves.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

OMFG. I accidentally gave it an A. Ok, how do I erase my vote? Damn it.

MadGez wrote:

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie. THIS MOVIE! One of the best ever made. My favorite film that I've seen of Spielberg's. This film is a 10/10 in every department: visuals, story, acting, screenplay, cinematography, music. Jurassic Park and Jaws are good, but they don't age nearly as well as this one. This actually has an interesting plot to go along with its thrilling special effects. Ford is the ultimate leading man, Marion is gorgeous and very memorable, even the villains are good.

A+

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:07 am
now we know

Obviously it's a great film and I enjoy watching it. For me, it is not as good as The Last Crusade and Temple of Doom, but miles better than the fourth movie. I'd probably give this a B+.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:45 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is actually my least favorite of the original three as well, but still a great great film and definitely an A-grade.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:23 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Yes, I feel I'm doing it an injustice with my grade. Put me down for an A- too.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:01 am
Profile WWW
zwackerm wrote:
This movie. THIS MOVIE! One of the best ever made. My favorite film that I've seen of Spielberg's. This film is a 10/10 in every department: visuals, story, acting, screenplay, cinematography, music. Jurassic Park and Jaws are good, but they don't age nearly as well as this one. This actually has an interesting plot to go along with its thrilling special effects. Ford is the ultimate leading man, Marion is gorgeous and very memorable, even the villains are good.

A+

Pure lunacy. Jaws--shark FX aside--in particular is ridiculously better than Raiders in just about all of those categories you listed. But I'm not convincing you otherwise, just had to chime in with a defense of Jaws and Jurassic Park aging far better :thumbsup:

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:42 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Raiders is Spielberg's best film. A+. If your opinion is different you are either wrong or a retard. So choose and deal with it.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:53 pm
Hold the door!

Malcolm wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

A+

Pure lunacy. Jaws--shark FX aside--in particular is ridiculously better than Raiders in just about all of those categories you listed. But I'm not convincing you otherwise, just had to chime in with a defense of Jaws and Jurassic Park aging far better :thumbsup:

Jaws plot is "dumb people get eaten by an invisible shark". Jurassic Park's plot is "dumb people get eaten by dinosaurs". You can't describe Raiders' plot in just one sentence.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next