Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Breathe In 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Breathe In 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Breathe In
Breathe In

Quote:
Breathe In is a 2013 American drama film co-written (with Ben York Jones) and directed by Drake Doremus and starring Guy Pearce, Felicity Jones, and Amy Ryan. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2013—the director's third film to play at the festival.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Breathe In
A mediocre and predictable plot trajectory imprisons and counteracts fine performances in the flawed Breathe In. Guy Pearce stars as a bored suburban music teacher and father longing for his youth, when he played in a band and led a more intense life in the city. Amy Ryan is his wife, and Felicity Jones is a British exchange student and prodigious pianist who enters their home. The (creepy? romantic?) dynamic which will unfold is clear from an early scene: driving from the airport to their home, the well-intentioned Ryan hamstrings and teases Pearce with pragmatism while Jones stares at him from behind, her eyes alight with old-soul understanding of the pain felt by this hipster-turned-square. Pearce and Jones, both talents of the highest order, deliver fine performances. A type of masculine, untidy melancholy is a note he can play with ease. So is reserved, yet seductive elegance for her. And the film has an apt aesthetic, with its quiet, tree-lined streets and a general color palette of muted and overcast blues, greens, and greys.

Despite these qualities, the film frustrated me with its insistence on traversing a route of forbidden romance; what was at once amusing, exciting, and perverse in Lolita decades ago is now rather bland and generic in hyper-earnest independent films such as this. So much time is devoted here to building quote-unquote sexual tension and then acting out the uncomfortable scenes of almost-touching and almost-kissing and then later the inevitable post-canoodle fallout, complete with much smashing of household ceramics. It is by and large time wasted. I would respect the film so much more if it constructed a fresher thematic sandbox for its gifted cast to play in. Groan-worthy lines of dialogue such as, "Don't let fear become your profession" and "It's hard to know how to be...truly free" do not help the film's case. Nor do a few instances of extreme contrivance, the most egregious of which finds a key character randomly chancing upon the Guy Pearce character's liaison with the exchange student in the forest.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:50 pm
Wallflower

The story is all rather low-key but the performances are terrific and it's handsomely made. Watching this today as it was pouring rain outside really, really added to the gloomy upstate New York setting. I had to stop for a second to remember if it actually rained in the film just now. And I don't think it actually did. But the weather here just accompanied this film so well. Anyway, this was nothing profound. Might be a little too low-key for some. But I was definitely engrossed. I'd give it a solid 7/10 (B).

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

There is definitely enough tension as to what is about to come that is built up in the film but the end resolution I felt was a little too much "to the book" and could have been more gripping. Pearce and Jones though are fantastic and make the film definitely worth watching.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]