Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
Alan Partridge

Quote:
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (to be released as Alan Partridge in the United States) is a 2013 British action comedy film starring Steve Coogan reprising his portrayal of Alan Partridge, a fictional presenter he has played on various BBC radio and television shows since 1991. The film was directed by Declan Lowney, and written by Coogan, Armando Iannucci, Peter Baynham, Neil Gibbons, and Rob Gibbons. Principal photography began on 7 January 2013 in Norwich and Mitcham, South London, and the film premièred on 24 July 2013. The film was released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on 7 August 2013, where it opened at number one in the box office. Magnolia Pictures is to distribute the film in America. A book of the screenplay was published on 21 November 2013.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

A fun film, but disappointing. As much as I love Coogan, in this latest installment in the Alan Partridge saga, he's forgotten what made Alan Partridge such a great and amusing character in the TV series of I'm Alan Partridge and Knowing Me Knowing You. While this film is still fun and enjoyable, it's more like watching a new Steve Coogan creation as opposed to the one we know and love. Not a patch on Coogan's The Parole Officer, which is simply hilarious.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Alan Partridge
I mostly agree. It is not as hilarious as the best Alan Partridge series, perhaps because the character is forced into the relatively strict confines of the hostage/siege storyline. Still, though, I laughed a fair amount, and it is always engaging and spry. An entirely pleasant film, if not the hoped-for home run.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:19 pm
now we know

I love it when we agree. :wub69:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I hadn't seen nor heard of the character Alan Patridge before the film, but I can easily say after watching it that it's a character I'd certainly like to revisit. It's easily the funniest film of the year for me. I can't remember the last time I watched a comedy and had to rewind repeatedly during a scene because I was laughing so hard - when Partridge throws the gun on the pier. What makes that scene work so well though is that it also works dramatically. That's kind of the greatness to the film. Despite pretty much being always hilarious, there's always an underlying sense of seriousness and thoughtfulness that keeps the film grounded. Another example would be the duct tape gun holder contraption. It's hilarious to look at, but it's main use is to threaten to blow a man's head off. To state obvious, that's just a little dark. Then again, dark comedy is what the Brits do best.

And a special shout out to the US video distributor for leaving off most of the special features (the commentary especially) from the UK Blu-ray. Thanks fuckface!

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Glad you are enjoying it, but not enough Americans are seeing this.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Fun for the most part. The jokes are good, but for the whole run-time the film doesn't keep you interested in what does or doesn't happen to any of the characters. I'd almost call it an average film, but Coogan does have something special which I don't see in films enough. I feel giving it a B is too generous, but it's also still better than most of the stuff in the C range. In the end I had a good enough time watching it for the funny bits that came and went.

B-

Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]