Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The LEGO Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

The LEGO Movie 
---------

Post Re: The Lego Movie
Awesome. My favorites were the "Exact 0 knife" and everything Lando. And Batman. And Morgan Freeman ghost.

A-

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved it. It was hilarious and so much fun, and the ending actually ended up being really touching and thought-provoking. A-

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Fox News Hates Lord Business Because Duh It's Fox News

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:55 pm
Extraordinary

Everything is awesome!

10x10x10 out of 5.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm
Extraordinary

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:24 am
The Kramer

Was anybody else unsettled by how dark "Everything Is Awesome" ended up being? That montage went beyond a parody of society and into full on critique. Very reminiscent of Idiocracy, although at least that movie was kind enough to be set in the future. This haunting world set to such a positive hyper-energy song was pretty brilliant. I wish the movie had stuck with this tone throughout, but I understand why it didn't.

The movie is still pretty damn good though. Lego Batman is the highlight, but Morgan Freeman's God/Vitrivius and Liam Neeson's Bad Cop are also great. Obviously the Star Wars bit is incredible too. Actually Lego Batman is so awesome that the movie didn't even need Superman/Green Lantern. They could have easily done the same bit with Batman and Robin. Imagine Lego Batman saying "I take him out to fight crime once and he hasn't left me alone since."

I did not care the ending either. Learning that the whole movie is from the mind of a child undermines whatever big ideas the movie had attempted to construct before hand. Of course a child is going to think that playing with legos is better than just letting them sit there. Yet, the movie also preaches individuality. So is Will Ferrell wrong to want to preserve his childhood in pristine form? Not quite as sinister as Lord Business trying to freeze self-aware lego people in place for eternity. The movie takes a huge swing, and I dig that, but it doesn't fit into what the rest of the movie was doing.

So it's a good movie that just doesn't reach its full potential. Just like our hero at the beginning of the story. Will Lego Movie 2 become the special that it was destined to be?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:32 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Was anybody else unsettled by how dark "Everything Is Awesome" ended up being?

Personally I was heartened by the movie's criticism of our current society. Hopefully, kids viewing this movie will be inspired to take action against President Business before we plunge into a utterly dystopic future.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm
The Kramer

I'm with you on that, I just didn't expect it coming from legos.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I'm with you on that, I just didn't expect it coming from legos.

Perhaps even more disturbing to me, was the anti-Lego message coming from legos.

I was an old school fan of pure building with generic blocks and pieces, rather than the very specific, build-one-model sets that are the core of Lego's profit model today. And they even went further into self-satire in that brief montage with Bionicles and such.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:32 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Sounds to me like they did not watch the film. I found it to be pro-business/creativity and against crony capitalism/egalitarianism.

I mean I could see Ayn Rand enjoying this film.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's a really good blockbuster but I feel like the mix of bigger/cultural/etc. ideas and the storytelling was not the cleanest fit. The latter got lost a bit because of the former IMO. Some simplicity may have helped.

Batman really made the film. Without him I'm not sure I'd like it as much.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:47 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: The LEGO® Movie
It's quite enjoyable and they nail Batman perfectly.

I do wonder if this can even be eligible for Best Animated Feature given the significant amount of time in live-action.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I believe both Smurfs movies were long-listed for the animated-feature Oscar, and they are, as far as I can see in the advertising, live-action films with animated characters inserted, so this should have no problem.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:45 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I liked this. Didn't love it.

I might have actually liked the second half better. But Emmet was the star and Chris Pratt did a tremendous job.

A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:

Sounds to me like they did not watch the film. I found it to be pro-business/creativity and against crony capitalism/egalitarianism.

I mean I could see Ayn Rand enjoying this film.

Yeah the kid called him Business because that is what he thought his father did, something involving business. It definitely preached creativity and individuality and I could see it as a critique against the way our society is today. And I loved the movie, and give a A-.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

It was cute and entertaining but the GREAT reviews are kind of baffling. I don't really have much to say about it, honestly.

7/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Ugh. its a superb movie. you can consider it some critique on capitalism or just laugh a lot at the nonsense, either way its enjoyable. if you do a gunslinger on this film i pity you.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:21 pm
Pure Phase

Lord Business approves of your groupthink.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 pm
Ocarina of Time

Not as awesome as I hoped, the human side, while useful in the story, was a downhill for me.

Overall entertaining and enjoyable, but what I loved the most was Batman, he is the hero :)

B

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:17 pm
Extraordinary

Just saw this in 3D. Enjoyable, but certainly not up to what I was expecting. Given the reviews, I thought I was getting something of Pixar quality. It seemed like a long commercial for legos, but a very funny one and I guess since I was entertained, I can't complain too much.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Yes its underwhelming. Fitfully clever but too many manic chase scenes and--though you can't fault the filmmakers--the best jokes were in the trailer and there aren't many other laughs

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 am
now we know

At first it's strange to see everything made out of LEGO formations (even moving things like water and explosions), but after a while that becomes less surreal and it acts as a straight-up fun ride. It's one of the most original films I've seen in the last few years. The idea to realise the story in a father/son reality of playing with LEGO was pretty awesome, and the interplay between the two "worlds" was well constructed.

Was the film funny? Yes. Was it hilarious? Not really. The comedy was nice, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it was too safe and "pleasant" (aimed at youngsters), so it failed to achieve what other animated films do when they mix a subject matter aimed at children with humour aimed at the adults (Shrek 2, for example). That being said the comedy did have aspects of appeal; the "everything is awesome" song was especially funny and rather catchy too, and the "that was a bat pun" (and related lines) were also quite enjoyable. Will Ferrell did an amazing job, as did Liam Neeson, but the winner of the voices (albeit a cameo) was the voice behind Han Solo -- pretty spot on! The humour was self-aware, and that was the best thing about the film.

Obviously the film is one big advertisement for LEGO (even going so far as to flip through a few low-selling lines like Bionicle etc.), but I actually thought it was very clever how they included Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings et al. into the storyline. Really I am quite impressed (because I didn't see it coming) with the ending being an actual real world kids game, which actually is the best form of re-establishing the idea of LEGO (great brand and product awareness).

The only weapon in its armoury is the humour, and if it's not to ones liking, then the film isn't a winner. It is unlikely that anyone over the age of 6 years old will be engrossed with the plot, or by the repetitive effects, so it boils down to the humour. Is it good enough to get a second viewing? For me, not really. I love the idea behind the film. It's creativity and balls are admirable, and I hope it nets LEGO a few billion more in worldwide sales, but as a piece of quality moviemaking, it just falls short of my give-a-shit barometer.

I do, however hope it encourages Playmobil to follow suit. The last few years, we have had many shit toy-oriented movies; Pokémon, Battleship, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and now ones that has changed the game, so hopefully we see a few more that do our cherished memories proud and don't just shit all over them like G.I. Joe does.

On a funny side note, throughout the film whenever I heard "master builder", the only thing I could think of was "masturbater", so that didn't sit well with me.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:56 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Besides a few amusing moments, I was bored out of my mind during this.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This movie was awesome! Exceeded my expectations, considering how bad I thought the trailers were. The story is both fun and thought provoking, the characters are funny if not memorable, and the world building is wonderful. It of course made me want to build Legos immediately after watching it. Definitely my favorite non-Disney non-Pixar animation since Shrek 2.

A

Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2