Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Monuments Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The Monuments Men 
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Monuments Men
When Clooney made Charlie Kaufman's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, he felt mischievous and alive behind the camera. But since he has become rather dull as a director. Leatherheads, for instances, is an incredibly leaden picture convinced it is light as a screwball feather.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:44 pm
Pure Phase

Quote:
On a more sympathetic note, a lengthy email correspondence between Pascal and George Clooney over The Monuments Men reveals the filmmaker’s extreme anxiety for—and lack of confidence in—the project. In an email dated January 29, 2014, with the subject line “it’s getting worse,” Clooney wrote to Pascal, “I need some protection from all the reviews. Let’s just make it a hit. I haven’t slept in 30 hours. And it’s 7 am.” Pascal replied, “we will protect you by making money… that’s the best revenge.”

The following day, Clooney replied to Pascal and wrote the following: “I adore you Amy. You are literally the only person running a studio that loves film. I fear I’ve let you all down. Not my intention. I apologize. I’ve just lost touch… Who knew? Sorry. I won’t do it again.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014...an-gosling.html

Clooney knew he failed!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:42 pm
New Server, Same X

It's sort of sad to see a Hollywood heavyweight desiring protection from film reviews.

I'm not sure what's meant by "let's just make it a hit" and "we will protect you by making money". Is there a hint of box office rigging, or am I just looking too deep into their words of wishful thinking? I always thought it odd that this movie did that well all things considered.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:48 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It had a strong marketing push and the film looked like a lot of fun I think that is what they are going for.

I still like this overall. It misses a lot of points, but for what it is, it's a pretty harmless film. I think the biggest problems look like it was in the editing room, they never quite got the right tone for it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:36 pm
New Server, Same X

I would agree with that. I think to call this one of the worst movies of 2014 is a bit too far off-center. It's just a monument-al (ugh) disappointment.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2