Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Internship 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

The Internship 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Internship
The Internship

Quote:
The Internship is an upcoming 2013 American comedy film directed by Shawn Levy and written by Vince Vaughn and Jared Stern and produced by Vaughn and Shawn Levy. The film stars Vaughn and Owen Wilson. This will be the second collaboration of Levy, Vaughn, and Stern after the 2012 film The Watch. The first film to use 21st Century Fox byline. It is rated PG-13 by the MPAA for sexuality, some crude humor, partying, and language.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: The Internship
The first half of the film is awful as it tries way too hard to be funny and uses many out-of-date or out-of-touch jokes to try and move forward. The film also plays too much on the annoyances of digital age aspects but instead of making humor out of them, it just makes them more annoying. As the film gets into the second half it actually begins to try and find its footing but its almost a bit too late. If the film played more in tune with the second half, this could have been a passable comedy but the first half is just too bad. It also doesn't help that Josh Brener and Max Minghella are terrible here with the latter looking to land these roles for the rest of his career.

Vaughn and Wilson try their best though and Aasif Mandvi and Eric Andre have their moments. It actually would have been interesting to see this premise done though with just Wilson as the sole intern and Byrne (who doesn't lose her usual charm) as his romantic interest. Yeah it would be a cliche film but the two worked together on screen and shared some of the film's better scenes.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I had passes to see a free screening of this tonight but I ended up not going. :P I do think it looks cute though and I plan to see it on Friday.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

I'll probably see it theatrically for Dylan O'Brien. It looks enjoyable regardless but he's the main selling point for me :P. Is he in it much?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm
---------

Magic Mike wrote:
I'll probably see it theatrically for Dylan O'Brien. It looks enjoyable regardless but he's the main selling point for me :P. Is he in it much?

Weird, I thought that was Dave Franco. But ya, he's on of the "six" that include Wilson and Vaughn in their intern team.

Jmovies is right, Wilson and Vaughn do try hard in this movie, but the material's not great and they're only funny when reacting to others instead of playing off each other. The movie plays out like other competiton movies, so the plot points are very predictable. Overall, it was OK at best, I suppose.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm
Sbil

It's certainly no Wedding Crashers. It's all a bit bland and pedestrian, but it's also affable and amusing enough to be worth a DVD rental. C+

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Hmmm, I mean, I guess I kinda liked it. Yeah it blended two totally different styles of humor, which it honestly blended well together, but I heavily favored one of those humors over the other.

Meh

B-

And yes, my review is shite, big whoop, wanna fight about it? Its midnight, I just worked a long shift today and then saw this movie. It was long. And now I'm drinking bourbon and it is delicious.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:30 am
You must have big rats

It was mildly amusing. Glad I didn't see the trailer beforehand, the Charles Xvaier bit was the funniest part of the film and I idnd't see that beforehand. :)

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I am with Magnus on this one. I had zero exepctations, but it was midly amusing. The best thing was - I haven't seen any trailers beforehand and thus didn't know about the Professor X joke, which was by far the funniest bit in the film.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

So the last movie I watched before this was Before Midnight. I'm not saying this is a better movie, but after watching a movie about two people fighting about their relationship, I found this to be a blast. It's certainly not as good as my favorite comedies, but much funnier than I expected.

B+

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Oh, it's such a shame when two guys that used to make me laugh so much (The Wedding Crashers etc.) star in such a boring and generic US comedy. All of the tech jokes and the 'oh-I'm-an-old-guy-poking-fun-at-a-young-guy' humour really drags and is just so obviously scripted and not how people actually talk, in fact, that goes for the whole script. The film is not funny, that's the main problem. There are a few moments where it's sweet and likeable, but it doesn't differentiate itself from ANY other rom-com or fish-out-of-water comedy, in fact it just rounds up all the cliches and proudly uses them again.

Randy, the motorised scooter salesman, is very funny, but out of, say, 200 jokes in the film, about 10 worked. The film is so unrealistic, as if Google would ever let those morons be interns. I don't care how hip and fresh-thinking Google are. It doesn't give me high hopes for Delivery Man.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Oh, and it was too long. 120 minutes is pushing it for a light-hearted comedy. It should have been done in 100 minutes.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]