Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 That Awkward Moment 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

That Awkward Moment 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post That Awkward Moment
That Awkward Moment

Quote:
That Awkward Moment is a 2014 American romantic comedy film written and directed by Tom Gormican in his directorial debut. The film stars Zac Efron, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Imogen Poots, Mackenzie Davis, and Jessica Lucas. The film had its Los Angeles premiere on January 27, 2014, and is scheduled to be widely released on January 31 in the United States.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: That Awkward Moment
The best thing about this movie by far is Miles Teller's storyline with Mackenzie Davis. He's easily the most likable of the three leads and the two of them share a charming, believable chemistry. I was invested in their relationship and Davis is a find. She reminds me of a younger Rebecca Hall. The rest of the movie is frustratingly mediocre, filled with bad dialogue, dated pop culture references and a plot that in retrospect doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This movie's depiction of twentysomething life in New York City felt like the director watched one too many episodes of Sex and the City and threw these characters into the exact same scenarios. I didn't understand how Zac Efron seemed to have this ridiculous loft apartment in one of the best areas of the city when he made a living as a book cover designer. Also the scenes of the three friends walking around the streets, coffee in hand, talking about their lives every day felt like something out of a J.Crew commercial. Michael B. Jordan has the most underwritten role and seems to be sleepwalking through his role, Imogen Poots is decent enough but has some of the worst dialogue (her line about how New York inspired her made half the audience burst out laughing) and Efron is fine but his character is so unlikable that the half-hearted attempt at a redemption arc for him near the end did nothing for me. A lot of it feels cobbled together and I think a good portion was edited out in post-production because a lot of scenes make NO sense. It's absolutely nothing you haven't seen before a thousand times, which is a shame because all the actors involved are very talented. They're faulted by a terrible script and amateurish direction. C

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:11 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Feather light but charming and well acted. B-

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan weren't great. And I'm actually a fan of both of them, especially the latter.

I HATED that line where Zac said something to the effect of "Are we officially dating if I go to her dad's funeral?"

Last edited by thompsoncory on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:05 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

My first girlfriend's dad died when we were dating. I did not go to the funeral.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 pm
Extraordinary

k... yeah, this wasn't good. The script is really bad and there isn't anything to make you care for anything that's going on. Decent actors wasted.

This has to be the worst title of the year so far in terms of covering what the movie is about. I know they changed it but the only thing I could think of that relates to the title is Zac Effron showing up to the chick's party wearing the fake dick.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:42 pm
Sbil

publicenemy#1 wrote:
k... yeah, this wasn't good. The script is really bad and there isn't anything to make you care for anything that's going on. Decent actors wasted.

This has to be the worst title of the year so far in terms of covering what the movie is about. I know they changed it but the only thing I could think of that relates to the title is Zac Effron showing up to the chick's party wearing the fake dick.

I'm assuming "that awkward moment" is referring to when someone asks where the relationship is going, as said in the movie.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 pm
Extraordinary

ohhhh. well I guess that makes sense. I still think it's a bad title though. :lol:

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 pm
Pure Phase

Are We Officially Dating? is an even more crap title, though.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Labor Day is an even worse title.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:45 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

David wrote:
Are We Officially Dating? is an even more crap title, though.

This title makes more sense in the context of the film though.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Meh. Not very funny. Characters aren't all that likable. Efron's is pretty much a dick. Really didn't care about their story-lines.

5/10 (C)

Thu May 08, 2014 11:47 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's your decent average bro rom-com but the chemistry between the cast elevates it a bit above the average.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yeah it's not bad. B- or so. Talented actors, so even with the bad dialogue and weird plot, they elevate it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]