Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Big Bad Wolves 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Big Bad Wolves 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Big Bad Wolves
Big Bad Wolves

Quote:
Big Bad Wolves (Hebrew: מי מפחד מהזאב הרע‎, Mi mefahed mezeev hara) is a 2013 Israeli thriller film written and directed by Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado. It was the official selection of Tribeca Film Festival. The movie has been produced by United King Studios, United Channel Movies and The Joshua Rabinovich Arts Foundation of Tel Aviv University.

The film has received mostly positive reviews, holding an 80% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Quentin Tarantino called it the best film of the year 2013.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Big Bad Wolves
Absolutely great - like Prisoners, but with a dash of pitch-black humor.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I admire the craft in this humorous, macabre Israeli suspense film, but the content is more problematic, and the experience largely left me empty and a tad frustrated. The story concerns a series of child murders. A driven, rule averse detective is certain a quiet teacher is the murderer, as is the desperate father of one of the victims. Before long, the three men find themselves in the basement of an isolated house. The teacher is tied to a chair. The father is nearby, next to a table covered with tools for torture, and the policeman, though hesitant, has agreed to help with the questioning. "Maniacs are afraid of maniacs," the father says. Will the truth be revealed after an evening of mania and bloodshed? Moment to moment, the film is modestly engaging due to its self-conscious twists and turns and its explosions of Reservoir Dogs style violence, and it is clear a great deal of technical thought and care went into each elegant shot composition. The cast is fine, too.

Yet despite the various surface-level virtues, I cannot say I admire Big Bad Wolves in an enduring or meaningful way. Perhaps because, as far as I can see, it has no point beyond playing as a exercise in mean-spirited, post-Tarantino style; "fun," "neat" even, but still disposable. A Saw sequel with delusions of grandeur. There is no cohesive political or social point regarding the use of torture or the specter of masculine violence in Israeli society despite a couple gestures in this direction, including shoehorning extraneous references to Jewish/Arab tensions into the nasty central story. The characters never register as more than pieces on a sadistic chessboard. And the final shot is the ultimate empty sting in a film weighed down with well-orchestrated, but empty stings.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:34 pm
You must have big rats

Ridiculous

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Gripping mystery thriller. It didn't play out as I thought it would. It was darkly brilliant and it had humour too. I do wonder how the Internal Affairs guy knew that the ginger guy killed his daughter, but it didn't matter. All the way through the film I was expecting the ginger guy to be guilty anyway, because the film was quite obviously made for us to feel sorrow and then a big reveal (which fell kind of flat). Regardless of this, I enjoyed the way it played out, and the dialogue was great to watch. I felt the ending was rather rushed, and they skipped a lot of the promised torture from the trailer and went straight to the neck cutting. I suppose it could and should have been a 2hr+ film. I think that Big Bad Wolves just shows me that Israel are very far away from the world class films of Europe and the USA. I'm not quite sure yet, but I wanted more from this film. Now it's over, I am having difficulty thinking what the point of the film was. The "twists" were a tad expected, and I also felt like the director was hesitant to put the film into 5th gear. A little frustrating, but only because of the ending.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]