Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Spirit 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

The Spirit 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The Spirit
The Spirit

Quote:
The Spirit is an American comic book adaptation, written and directed by Frank Miller and starring Gabriel Macht, Eva Mendes, Sarah Paulson, Dan Lauria, Paz Vega, Jaime King, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film is based on the newspaper comic strip The Spirit by Will Eisner. OddLot and Lionsgate produced the film.

The Spirit was released in the United States on December 25, 2008, and on DVD and Blu-ray on April 14, 2009. Despite being a commercial and critical failure in theatres, the film found more success on DVD and Blu-ray.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: The Spirit
The film works with the Sin City like look. It gives you the graphic novel feel. The overall plot was alright. Gabriel Macht did good as The Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson as the Octopus was hilarious. The two's first fight scene is completely hilarious (and it is meant to be). Overall it was a fun time at the cinema.

B

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

It's kind of amazing that a Frank Miller comic book film is getting so few reviews on wokj. Even if it doesn't look great, I'd have expected people to run check it out for curiosity.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Archie Gates wrote:
It's kind of amazing that a Frank Miller comic book film is getting so few reviews on wokj. Even if it doesn't look great, I'd have expected people to run check it out for curiosity.

Not when there are so many other things to see and this looks bad on an epic scale.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:48 pm
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:

Not when there are so many other things to see and this looks bad on an epic scale.

Yeah, but how many times can one person see Marley & Me?

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:54 pm
Forum General

Alot of eye candy and I liked seeing the Wonder Years Dad.

Jaime King ... Lorelei Rox
Eva Mendes ... Sand Saref
Scarlett Johansson ... Silken Floss
Sarah Paulson ... Ellen Dolan

but this movie was mixed with brilliance and garbage. B-

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:57 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Libs wrote:
Archie Gates wrote:

Yeah, but how many times can one person see Marley & Me?

More times than you know.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:00 pm
Top Poster

Sin City was my favorite movie of 2005, this however was underwhelming. The problem was that the movie wasn't very fun, something sorely needed for a trashy b-movie with lame dialogue and low-budget looks. The protagonist being a really flimsy hero didn't help either. C+

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

If you forgive The Spirit its flaws and submit to its madcap, scattershot spirit, it's an enjoyable experience. The visuals are certainly memorable (shots of the hero in silhouette, only his bright red tie shining, racing along the rooftops of snow-swept Central City steal your breath away) and most of the cast is clearly having a ball, though they may not want to put it on their resumés in bold.

This film could have been *great* if the overall vision was tighter and more clearly defined (I wondered at times if they were coming up with the storyline and set pieces as they went along) and the action was better directed and more exciting. Still, it's passable and doesn't exactly deserve the BRUTAL reviews it's enduring.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:37 am
Extraordinary

Heh. I loved The Spirit!

A fine return to campy form for the superhero genre after the tediously dour Dark Knight. This is what I'm looking for - - finally, some laughs!

Gabriel Macht was perfect as the clutzy lead character - - I'd love to see him in a sequel with another villain played by an Samuel L. Jackson grade actor. Also, even though I'm not usually a Scarlett Johansson fan - - I thought she was great as The Octopus' personal assistant.

The best part though was the idiosyncratic direction by Frank Miller - - this is not yer usual by-the-book pedestrian storytelling - - it is like a live action storyboard which suits the material perfectly. It is so over the top that it can see it's own bottom.

If you're a fan of the original Batman TV series, be sure to check out The Spirit - - don't let the naysayers sway you - - it's just another one of those movies too offbeat from the authorized norm these days, hated on by the corporate media. Go and see it on the big screen and enjoy Miller's wacked out frame composition and high contrast graphic novel style appled to film.

23 out of 5.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 pm
Extraordinary

Didn't see that one coming.

Well, I mean, we did. But I want to feign shock for Bradley's sake.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Really a lot of fun. Samuel L. Jackson was just fucking hilarious. The only problem was Eva Mandes and this being PG-13. No.

C+

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:32 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
Didn't see that one coming.

Well, I mean, we did. But I want to feign shock for Bradley's sake.

This type of comment from you is becoming tiresome, The Dark Shape - - especially when you haven't reviewed the film yet yourself - - it was funny the first dozen times, but now the joke is broke.

Why not spend your time adding more comments to the films you've seen and enjoyed such as this one from The Dark Knight:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Jesus Christ, it's good. A+

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 am
Defeats all expectations

If there hadn't been Sin City that came 3 years before it, this would have had garnered more praise.

Like in Sin City, the mystical elements about the characters remain intact throughout The Spirit. The Spirit's "love" for The City was barely felt even though the lead character more than one time pronounces it in a poetic way.

The myth is still a myth. But a fresh idea exercised twice is a tired idea.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:50 pm
Angels & Demons

Level with me guys. I absolutely loved Ghost Rider. Based on that, would you expect me to enjoy this?

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:28 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Goktor Who wrote:
Level with me guys. I absolutely loved Ghost Rider. Based on that, would you expect me to enjoy this?

Sounds like you'd like anything, so, yeah.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:03 am