Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rounders 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Rounders 
Golfaholic

Levy wrote:
Impressive cast, entertaining at times but flawed in the execution. Gretchen Mol's character was completely unnecessary for the movie for example. Malkovich and Damon are great though. B-

i loved Jon Turturro as well. If I am ever fortunate enough to make a film, I would want him in it, somehow, I wouldn't care how. I love the cast of the film, and if you can ever get the SE on DVD, listen to the commentarty with Chan, Moneymaker, Ferguson and Hellmuth....very entertaining.

yeah, it's quite entertaining. I watched it on dvd a few weeks ago when it came out in germany

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Squee

Pfft, who cares what Moneymaker says! He hasn't made it past hour 1 since his big win.

:glare:

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:21 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed it, but I definitely came away thinking it was lacking something. Any scene where they were playing poker was great, but the others weren't so much. Luckily they were playing poker most of the movie.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:28 pm
Mod Team Leader

Pfft, who cares what Moneymaker says! He hasn't made it past hour 1 since his big win.

I agree to a degree...lol...he hasn't done much on the WSOP stage since then, but he will always be the WSOP champion. You can't take that away from him.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Rounders
Magnus wrote:
This is a movie for anyone who loves the game of poker. Solid entertainment.

B+

Agree

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Damon, Malkovich, and Turturro I thought were all great. For some reason I found Norton to be lacking (a rarity for him) but I just don't think he put enough into the character. The whole love relationship stuff is completely useless and does nothing to drive the film along. Complaints aside, it is very entertaining at times and the poker scenes are done well.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I thought I missed out on this one when it left Netflix, but it just moved right over to Showtime. Noted for the future.

I didn't get too much out of this one though. The cast is great and they all put in good performances, but the story is extra weak. Damon's character was making so many weird choices that I assumed there would be a twist at the end revealing the entire movie had been one long play. Nope, he just needed to learn how to fold a bad friend, although he was a pretty bad friend himself. And also, despite what this movie seems to think, poker is still a game of luck. You can know whether someone has a good hand or not, but you can't force a better one into your palms.

C+

Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm
Keeping it Light

I always liked this, but I haven't seen it for a long time.

Don't think I agree with Poker being a game of luck, I'd say the victor is determined more by skill than by luck. Because no matter how unlucky your hand and the table is, with the right moves, bluffs basically, you can fabricate a winning hand. Might not always work out well, but the mastery of certain strategies and math should work out in the long term.

Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am
The Kramer

Ok, I should have said that poker is a game of luck mixed with mechanics, just like blackjack. The wildcard is bluffing, but again, if you play the odds it may not even matter. I just don't believe someone like Damon could walk into a game and guess the exact cards of everybody at the table based on how they reacted to the flop.

Then again, my strategy is usually just to fuck with anyone who is taking it too seriously. It, and some killer hands, took me to victory in a 10-man pick-up tourney in Vegas once (prize was ~$500.)

Sat May 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Keeping it Light

I finally watched this again since a long time. Still a classic, fabulous cast, great to see Damon and Norton early in their careers. And an excellent supporting roles from Janssen, Malkovich and Turturro. But it's the setting, late 90's New York and the poker theme that make this the winner it is. Just a great story, filled with good scenes and memorable dialogue, I've got reminded why I liked this so much before.

A

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Then again, my strategy is usually just to fuck with anyone who is taking it too seriously. It, and some killer hands, took me to victory in a 10-man pick-up tourney in Vegas once (prize was ~$500.)

That's awesome, I've played anything close to a tourney like that at most a handful of times and got bounced as one of the firsts each time. Naturally I didn't seek the game out more as I couldn't really get the hang of it, but always enjoyed playing games with friends.

Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2