Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 About Time 

What grade would you give this film?
A 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
B 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

About Time 
Wallflower

Post Re: About Time
movies35 wrote:
Before one of the biggest plot holes I have seen on film, I was honestly loving this but...

Spoiler: show
In the middle of the film, Tim's sister is in a car accident. She was driving drunk because of a fight she got into with a friend. He decides to take her back in time with him so she never meets her boyfriend. When he comes back to present day, his daughter (who is only six months or so), is actually a boy. He finds out that he can't go back into time before his children are born because the one sperm is so precise that it is impossible for them to have the same child twice.

Cut to the end of the film. Tim's father died of cancer. Tim's wife wants a third child. He says he isn't sure if he is ready for another child (though it is because he isn't ready to not go back in time to see his dead father). She gets pregnant and right before she goes into labor, he takes one last trip to see his father. His father realizes this is it and Tim explains she is ready to have the baby. His father says "I know it bends the rules, but if we don't see anybody, we can do it" and they go back into time when Tim was a child and they run on the beach.

According to his father earlier in the movie, you can't (under any circumstances) go back into time before the child was born. Yet they went back into time to when he was a child and when he came back to present day, his children were still his normal children.

I mean... I know in time travel movies there are going to be plot holes, it is kind of expected to not think too much about things but give me a break. It was so ridiculous and clearly there to only make the audience cry.

Still though, I did enjoy the movie. It had solid performances and until the last 20 minutes I was honestly loving it but that just went too far into melodrama and ridiculousness that I couldn't take it seriously.

7/10

It's because
he went back on his father's timeline, just like his sister went back on his.
I'm sorry it confused you. :P

And you could take a movie about a guy who can travel back in time seriously but the rest is taking it too far? You're funny. :funny:

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:44 pm
Forum General

I went with it because it was well made, well acted and was entertaining. By this point, it went too far because it COMPLETELY contradicted what it previously said. It was stupid. You are blinded by your love of this movie. It was a good movie, but the ended was absolutely wretched.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
I went with it because it was well made, well acted and was entertaining. By this point, it went too far because it COMPLETELY contradicted what it previously said. It was stupid. You are blinded by your love of this movie. It was a good movie, but the ended was absolutely wretched.

I'm not blinded by it. It's not a plot hole.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Forum General

Then you are just stupid. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Richard Curtis delivers another sugary, uplifting winner with About Time. As the film's title makes clear, the film is not really about time travel (this element of the film is never explained). It's about time, and what we choose to do with it as we spend our days. Domhnall Gleeson could easily be Hollywood's next Hugh Grant if he chose to; he is adorable and a great protagonist. His romance with Mary, played by the lovely Rachel McAdams in yet another delightful performance, strikes all the right notes. And the father/son relationship with the great Bill Nighy does too. It doesn't reach the euphoric heights of Love Actually, but About Time is a good choice if you're looking for an unabashedly sentimental movie not afraid to wear its heart on its sleeve. B+

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:27 pm
loyalfromlondon

i liked it better when it was called groundhog day

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:26 pm
Pure Phase

Quote:
How About Time revolutionizes the time-travel story
by Tasha Robinson

At heart, time-travel stories in film are almost always fantasies about perfect control. Everyone regrets some key decision that looks like a mistake in hindsight; on a smaller scale, even the most content people are usually curious about paths not taken, or options not explored. Like so many of the fantasy superpowers that resonate most strongly with audiences, and are most likely to be tapped over and over for new stories, this one is designed to reverse a specific, universal, troubling human weakness: The fact that once someone acts on a decision, it’s too late to go back and try an alternate route.

Books and comics have more freedom to play with the trope, more space to explore it, and often an audience more used to narrow genre experiments. But in film, studios generally want speculative-fiction stories to be accessible to broad audiences, which means time-travel movies almost always do one of a few simple things: toss characters back into colorful historical settings, push them forward into dystopian futures that serve as cautionary tales for the present, or—most commonly—examine the heady fantasy of having a chance, with all the advantages of past experience and advance planning, to make better choices.

Full article here: http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition...me-travel-stor/

An interesting read, and I agree with large portions of it. In many ways, the film uses time travel very well, creating moments of memorable humor and melancholy. But I do believe there is a questionable moral component to the way Tim uses his ability to seduce Rachel McAdams' character (memorizing her opinions and repeating them to her in another timeline as if they were his own thoughts), a moral question the film never raises because it might undermine his status as a perfectly charming Hugh Grant archetype.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:05 pm
You must have big rats

Seen it again yesterday. It is such a delight.

That being said, I can see peope taking offense with it. Basically, the men are in control of everything. They shape their fate, the women just follow. Before someone says that "oh wait, they cannot change anything anyay" - well, that's not true. Without time travel. Tim would have not gotten together with Rachel McAdams' character, by arriving before her potential boyfriend at the party. And he would have not saved the playwright's play frm being a disaster.

Ah well, it is so well-acted, funny and charming that it makes you forget about the above.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is a contradictory film. Completely charming and touching. Completely amoral. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:17 pm
Wallflower

He shouldn't have even gone back to save that douchebag's play. :P It wasn't worth missing out on McAdams.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:22 am
Wallflower

Saw it again yesterday. My official review:

Richard Curtis, the British filmmaker behind such romantic comedy classics as "Love Actually," "Four Weddings and a Funeral," "Bridget Jones's Diary," and "Notting Hill," is back with another ode to life and love.

"About Time” is the story of Tim, played by relative newcomer Domhnall Gleeson, a man who, on his 21st birthday, is informed by his father (Bill Nighy) that the men in their family can travel back in time. While he can't go back to alter history in the bigger sense, he can use this gift to redo events in his own life that don't play out exactly as planned. Unlucky in love, Tim decides to use this ability to get a girlfriend. One night at a restaurant where the patrons eat in total darkness he meets the sweet and modest Mary (Rachel McAdams). The two hit it off immediately. I won't spoil any of the complications that arise after this, but on his journey of life Tim will discover that not all of the sorrow life brings can be prevented.

There's something really magical about a Richard Curtis film. He has this understanding of life and love (yes, I will probably reference life and love repeatedly throughout this review as it's impossible not to do when talking about this film) that, while sweet and simple, has the ability to really speak to a person. I cannot think of another filmmaker with the proficiency to melt my heart as well as he does. I wouldn't describe myself as a hopeless romantic but I sure feel like one when watching his films. He has a knack for appealing to the sentimental side of a person, and he does so in such an earnest way that you don't feel manipulated.

The cast works so well together. Domhnall Gleeson is perfect as Tim. Charming and funny and just completely loveable. I believe Curtis has found his new Hugh Grant. I'm already a big fan of the always lovely Rachel McAdams. She's very talented and I believe one day she'll be a Meryl Streep caliber actress. The two are great together and share a nice, believable chemistry. Then there's Bill Nighy, a staple of many Curtis films (this is his fourth time working with the filmmaker), who delivers a funny, tender performance as Tim's father. The father/son relationship here is so moving that it made me want to give my own father a hug. I know how unlikely this would be, but I would not at all object to Nighy receiving a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination.

"About Time" just hit all of the right notes for me. The messages are beautiful and even if deep down we know them, it doesn't hurt to have a reminder. Something this film does well. Don't be surprised if, even for a moment, you come away from this film with a new appreciation for all of the things that really matter in life.

Despite the presence of time travel this is really not a science fiction film. The title itself is more a reference to the time we have and how we choose to spend it than the actual time travel element. It's not even the total romantic comedy the ads would suggest. There is romance, definitely, but a romantic relationship isn't the only thing explored. The relationship between father/son, brother/sister are just as important here.

This is a perfect film for the holidays. While not explicitly a movie about the holidays, it exudes a real warmth that many movies about the holidays fail to deliver. It's sweet and sad, but ultimately uplifting. If you're a fan of "Love Actually" definitely get out and see this. It delivered the same warm, fuzzy feelings I got from that film.

There are more films to come this year that I've yet to see, but at the time of this review this is my sentimental favorite. The ads really don't do it justice. I did not expect it to be so wonderful despite being a fan of other Richard Curtis films. Moviegoers in search of a heartwarming story of romance and family should find the time to see About Time (pun intended).

Grade: A

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 pm
Pure Phase

Quote:
What He Did For Love: Manipulation And Wickedness In 'About Time'

Movies are the closest thing we have to time travel, so it's no wonder — or rather, it's a rich and enduring wonder — that so many memorable films have made it their subject. Actually, let's strike that. Few if any of those films are actually about time travel. Most films that involve it use it as a means of discussing something else.

About Time, a weird British romantic comedy bearing the tearduct-tickling, hug-generating brand of Richard Curtis is, despite the protestations of its glib title, one of those. (Curtis wrote Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill and Love Actually, which he also directed.)

Time travel stories appeal to us, I think, because regrets, everyone has a few. That notion is present in most time travel movies as subtext. In this movie? It's the text. And About Time is one of the most lazily-conceived and manipulative pictures that that I have ever... loved. Actually.

About Time's hero is called Tim. He is played by Domhnall Gleeson; fussy, likeable, and so English, even though he's Irish. He is Lisa Simpson's pubescent fantasy made manifest in the five-fingered, anatomically correct, live-action world. Tim has — like all the men in his enviably close, communicative family — the uncanny ability to revisit any point in his own past at will.

The movie doesn't think very hard about this, or want us to, but when Tim goes for one of his temporal walkabouts, he shows up in his body as it was then, apparently displacing the then-version of himself. So's he's not some conspicuous timeline-tourist who can have highly amusing conversations with his younger model, like Bruce Willis in Looper or Leonard Nimoy in the 21st century Star Treks. He blends.

But like all movie time-travelers, he still knows he's from the future, and retains his memory, or "memory," or foreknowledge of it. Which gives him an uncontemplated, unremarked, and deeply unfair advantage over everyone he meets. After all, they're doing improv, while he's seen the day's script. This would be okay if his mission in the movie were, say, to avert the Rise of the Machines, or to make sure his parents hooked up at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance. Or almost anything other than to con someone into falling in love with him.

Consider: In the most romantic time travel movie ever made, Kyle Reese didn't make it his job to woo Sarah Connor. She fell for him as a natural consequence of the good work he was doing protecting her from The Terminator. Their time-conquering love happened "organically," in the language of movie-people. In a budget motel room.

Curtis seems to think of Tim as an honorable bloke who tries to do the right thing, so long as it doesn't involve unmasking himself to his wife. There's something almost Shakespearean in the way he asks us to root for a dude who woos by such underhanded means.

Tim's dad, played by the never-not-great Bill Nighy, encourages him to use his gift well. For profit? Heaven forfend! "I never met a truly happy rich person," Nighy cautions. (In his ubiquitous voice-over, Tim informs us his dad retired from teaching at 50, and their family lives in a beautiful seaside house straight out of a wine ad. So "rich" is probably a very relative term.) Nighy claims he's used his life-extending powers to get more reading done. I inferred that he's also spent off-the-books eons whoring around Bangkok or wherever, because: Bill Nighy. But his son declares, in that very first conversation with pop, to use his temporal mobility for Love.

Stop that! Stop saying "Awwwww." Tim's game is cruel. Tim's game may actually be psychotic.

And that game is: To give himself an endless supply of repeat/forgive course credits on his quest to win the Right Woman. Her name is Mary, like the blessed virgin. (Rachel McAdams, obviously. Though the panel is telling me they would also have accepted Carey Mulligan.)

It starts out innocently enough. I'll leave the details of Tim and Mary's initial meet-cute for you to discover; it's one of the best scenes in the movie. But then Tim deviates from the course of self-interest and goes back in time to do a solid for a friend of his. When next he encounters Mary, she doesn't remember him, and sure enough, her number has vanished from his phone like Marty McFly disappearing from a Polaroid picture.

Desperate to recapture what he's lost, Tim embarks upon an ambitious campaign of harassment/stalking/courtship. Mary, of course, has no inkling the the weirdly ageless, stammering ginger following her around is actually a time lord whose temporal reconnaissance missions have given him a dossier of her likes and quirks, and who even engages in sexual espionage to prevent her from hooking up with other guys. And yet once he's used his metaphysical Rohypnol to win her, he remains curiously faithful. He is adorable, this psycho.

It's difficult for me to sustain my condemnation. As played by Dohmnall Gleeson — scion of the famous actor Brendan Gleeson — Tim is, like the movie surrounding him, warm and smart-ish, even when they're both being cruel and dumb.

I submit to you, dear reader, that for Tim to engage in an occasional daytrip back to his pre-committed past to enjoy the company of other ladies would be, if not 100 percent above board, still far less of a betrayal to poor Mary than it is for him to keep secret how it was that he already knew so much about her when they first met. We and he know that the answer to that riddle is that Mary and Tim — like the lovers in the great Frank Sinatra song "Where or When" — have met, and talked at length, and looooooooooved, before. Only she doesn't remember because he has chosen to engage with the version of her that hasn't had those conversations.

Q: Sorry for interrupting, but didn't Bill Murray do all this in Groundhog Day 20 (!) years ago? Why does Bill Murray in Groundhog Day get a pass?

A: Thank you for asking. Two reasons:

1) That movie clearly establishes that Bill Murray is a jerk.

2) Bill Murray's game-elevating time-reconnaissance was involuntary.

Bill Murray doesn't know how he ended up reliving the same day over and over. Because Groundhog Day is a Harold Ramis joint, Murray's character ultimately escapes once he learns to be a better guy. Or maybe it was a Beauty and the Beast-type deal, wherein Bill Murray's curse is lifted because Andie MacDowell falls in love with him. To the movie's credit, we never find out. It's tidy.

About Time is nothing but messy. Curtis makes a half-hearted pass at establishing the rules about how his version of time travel works, but it's really just an excuse to have Nighy lament that "You can't kill Hitler or shag Helen of Troy, unfortunately." Then there's something later on about how having a baby cramps your time traveling style, which, obviously. But Curtis abandons the rules whenever they threaten to get in the way of the Stop and Smell the Roses, And Go Back and Re-Smell Them If You Possibly Can homily he's preaching. Which is a good homily!

The end of the movie finds Curtis trying to hopscotch out of the corner he's painted himself into. He set out to make a heartwarming movie that reminds us to appreciate the present. And he's so good at heartwarming that you almost don't notice he's given us a story about a crazy man — a fickle god, actually — living in his personally curated version of the past.

Maybe Curtis figures we're ready for this kind of romance. After all, to meet a stranger who knows all about you is no longer unusual. Tim could've made Mary at lot less suspicious by telling her, "I follow you on Twitter."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013 ... about-time

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:37 pm
Extraordinary

An almost great movie with an entirely great life lesson, About Time is very close to perfect.

After a delight-filled first two-thirds, the story unfortunately loses steam and stalls. Fortunately, the repair crew arrives in time and it roars back to life and finishes strong.

...and what's not to love when the two leads are just too freakin' adorable?!?

But what I'd really love to see is Richard Curtis use time travel to return sufficient rewrites of this screenplay until it is polished into the classic it so nearly is.

8 out of 5.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:57 pm
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:

The R-rating is ridiculous by the way. Completely unwarranted.

I Agree. Drop or change some of the swear words which really weren't needed for emotional effect anyway and it's PG13.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:45 am
Wallflower

It had like 4 F words, which were barely noticeable. So ridiculous this is "R."

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:43 pm
Forum General

It definitely deserved to be PG-13. Even if it was, it would be a lite PG-13. :P The R rated is crazy.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Absolutely loved it! May go down as one of my top 3-4 of the year

They make a conscience decision to not go down the "time travels, then fucks up his future/isn't with McAdams anymore" road - I was expecting him to be oh-no-married to Charlotte after the Kit Kat travel for example - because the real meaning of the time is embracing an ordinary and day to day life, which gives the plot its own unique beauty.

But helping this is it's an exceptionally directed/acted/written/soundtracked/etc. film. Really on the ball in almost every respect.

Remarkable film!

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:47 am
Devil's Advocate

movies35 wrote:
Before one of the biggest plot holes I have seen on film, I was honestly loving this but...

In the middle of the film, Tim's sister is in a car accident. She was driving drunk because of a fight she got into with a friend. He decides to take her back in time with him so she never meets her boyfriend. When he comes back to present day, his daughter (who is only six months or so), is actually a boy. He finds out that he can't go back into time before his children are born because the one sperm is so precise that it is impossible for them to have the same child twice.

Cut to the end of the film. Tim's father died of cancer. Tim's wife wants a third child. He says he isn't sure if he is ready for another child (though it is because he isn't ready to not go back in time to see his dead father). She gets pregnant and right before she goes into labor, he takes one last trip to see his father. His father realizes this is it and Tim explains she is ready to have the baby. His father says "I know it bends the rules, but if we don't see anybody, we can do it" and they go back into time when Tim was a child and they run on the beach.

According to his father earlier in the movie, you can't (under any circumstances) go back into time before the child was born. Yet they went back into time to when he was a child and when he came back to present day, his children were still his normal children.

I mean... I know in time travel movies there are going to be plot holes, it is kind of expected to not think too much about things but give me a break. It was so ridiculous and clearly there to only make the audience cry.

Good observation but IMO it can be reasonably explained...

It's true that any half second change to Tim's life, will change his kids. However, isn't it reasonable that marginally changing a running on the beach moment doesn't actually change anything by 20 years later when Tim conceives his kids. For young Tim, the rest of that day is likely off by a few seconds or minutes... but with enough times going to bed and waking up, I think that difference ends up erased over 20 years, until the day of his kids conception at which point he wakes up and does things with the identical timing as usual. Especially if Tim never remembered the memory, thus giving it less reason to affect his psychi. Whether Bill Nighy's life is a little different after changing the beach running timing is a slightly bigger problem, as he has a better memory than a kid... but again, after 20 years it's reasonable to assume any few second/minutes difference between the original and altered reality ends up erased. If young Tim tripped and scratched his knee on a rock in the altered reality it would likely be enough to change his timing 20 years later via the butterfly effect, but I figure their reliving of the memory was so similar that it ended up making no impact over the long haul

Another thing is that even if one doesn't accept that, the logic of the film imo supports another loophole. When Tim's kid was changed the first time, he eventually set things back to the normal, where Kit Kat got in a car crash. I presume how he did it is going back in time to the Tim before went in the closet with Kit Kat and not bringing her in there, therefore reversing any changes. So it's possible that Tim and his father agreed to run on the beach, but then Tim went back in time enough to the Tim before he went back in time with the father and didn't do it anymore, thus eliminating any effect of the memory

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:10 am
Extraordinary

kinda uneven but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The whole time angle is both well done and kinda sloppy imo but at least it wasn't with many cliches.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:05 am
Keeping it Light

Riggs wrote:
A wonderful movie. Great, charming performances from everyone.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Very lovely film.

Magic Mike wrote:
"About Time" is beautiful. A delightful film.

David wrote:
Charming and touching.

Shack wrote:
Loved it! Remarkable film!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Enjoyed it.

A-

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:41 pm
Keeping it Light

What a lovely and romantic film. The leads are great, I always love McAdams and she's stunning in this as well. The first time I saw Gleeson in major role and he's good too, fills the role perfectly. Nighy is also wonderful. The story is very moving and touching, and not once am I disturbed by the ludicrous idea of time travel. It's just all heartwarming how everything plays out.
I thought about giving this an A- at first, and it's definitely once of the best romantic comedies I've seen, but after consideration I feel it falls just below that.

Even the movie doesn't have any real flaws, it's at the moment not memorable enough leave a real impact on me. Just a really good movie, but not of the level of Love Actually.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watched this again earlier today. This movie has grown on me and the ending always makes me cry. Definitely one of my favorites of the past few years.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:15 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2