Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Enough Said 

What grade would you give this film?
A 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Enough Said 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Enough Said
Enough Said

Quote:
Enough Said is a 2013 American comedy film directed and written by Nicole Holofcener. The film stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus, James Gandolfini (in one of his final film roles), Toni Collette, Catherine Keener, Ben Falcone, and Toby Huss. The film was released on September 18, 2013.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Enough Said
So wonderful and lovely. I've liked most of Nicole Holofcener's movies but this is probably her most accomplished to date. The film offsets its potentially sitcommy premise with superbly real characters like Eva and Albert. I've always been a huge fan of Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and her wonderful performance her makes me wish she had done more films. It's very sad watching James Gandolfini here; he is so charming, so delightful, so teddy bear huggable, that I'm just glad he got to show this side of himself in a performance. Catherine Keener doesn't have a whole lot to do, really, but I really dug Toni Collette here. I would gladly see this again. A

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A really sweet, funny and enjoyable movie. The entire cast delivers heartfelt and charming performances. It also ends up being very moving. Older audiences in particular are absolutely going to eat this up. A-

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

JLD and Gandolfini need to be in the Oscar conversation for this.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 pm
Pure Phase

Nicole Holofcener (Friends with Money, Please Give) may not be the most adventurous active writer/director, but she operates well within her comfort zone, crafting biting and touching slice-of-life comic dramas concerned with the longings and neuroses of modern American women, and with Enough Said, she has produced another small gem. The film casts beloved television veteran Julia Louis-Dreyfus in what I believe may be her first lead role in a film; she plays Eva, a masseuse who counts among her clients a New Age poet (Catherine Keener) who often criticizes her ex-husband, portraying him as a ne'er-do-well inept both in bed and in life and with a laundry list of exhausting idiosyncrasies. Meanwhile, Eva begins a playful relationship with Albert (James Gandolfini), a friendly and shy divorced man. In an, I admit, predictable twist straight out of a situation comedy, the poet's reportedly awful ex-husband turns out to be none other than Albert.

Far-fetched, perhaps, but the film utilizes the small-world scenario in intriguing ways as secondhand reports of his flaws begin to poison Eva's previously high estimation of Albert, forcing the audience to ponder if the attributes and behaviors which destroyed one relationship might be the ground upon which another, more tender bond is constructed. Louis-Dreyfus is energetic, expressive, and in top comic form, evidence she should be cast in films more often, and it is an experience both delightful and sad to see the late Gandolfini deliver such a nuanced and warm performance, one of his last and perhaps the one most removed from the convincing Italian-American hard-man persona for which he became famous. The ensemble cast encircling them, also including the always welcome Toni Collette as Eva's friend and confidant, give the film extra shades and spices without ever stealing the spotlight from the on-point stars.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's a very enjoyable film that goes by with a breeze. Even with how great Gandolfini is, JLD really makes this film her own and honestly needs to be considered for a nomination like Libs said. I also really liked Tevi Gavinson's performance here. Her and JLD probably had some of the best scenes in the film and they were interesting given the fact you don't see these two kind of characters interact as much in films, or do it so simplistically.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Loved it. JLD was AWESOME in this.

A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27 pm
Wallflower

This was highly enjoyable. A very funny, smart comedy for adults.

A-

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:33 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

This was a pleasure to watch. 10 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of two television icons like JLD and JG being coupled in a romantic dramedy - but the pairing works perfectly.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:44 am
New Server, Same X

And the pairing works because of the immensely talented and understated performances from both actors. This, even more than The Sopranos, makes me miss James Gandolfini, for the kind of performances he could have given.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 am
Pure Phase

People who haven't should see Not Fade Away, the incredibly undervalued directorial debut of Sopranos creator David Chase from 2012. James Gandolfini delivers a wonderful, very tender performance in it a salt-of-the-earth father trying and often failing to understand his counterculture son in the early 1960s.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 am
Sbil

This was all over my ballot for the KJ awards. Probably not enough to get it any nominations but I tried!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm
Pure Phase

I nominated it for Best Comedy.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 pm
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
This was all over my ballot for the KJ awards. Probably not enough to get it any nominations but I tried!

It'll be getting lots of votes from me too.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

this was like... my third place for best movie an stuff.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Wonderful. Love how organic everyone feels in this. Excellent direction and acting.

Everyone in the ensemble does an excellent job, but Julia Louis-Dreyfuss outshines them all. Wow.

A

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 am
Devil's Advocate

Louis-Dreyfus is amazing in this, maybe performance of her life.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]