Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mud 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Mud 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Mud
Mud

Quote:
Mud is a 2012 American coming-of-age film written and directed by Jeff Nichols. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, Jacob Lofland, and Reese Witherspoon. The film competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. It was shown at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2013, and have a limited release in selected theaters on April 26, 2013.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Mud
Few modern actors have had as interesting a late-blooming career revival as Matthew McConaughey, and that continues in Jeff Nichols' Mud. In this modern coming-of-age tale set on the Mississippi River with more than a hint of Mark Twain looming, McConaughey gives the best performance of his career. He is ably matched by young actors Tye Sheridan and Jacob Lofland, with Ellis especially forming the heart and soul of this film. Reese Witherspoon takes a break from big budget romcoms with a nicely understated supporting performance, while other actors like Sam Shepard, Ray McKinnon and Sarah Paulson turn in fine work as well. The film is intimate and deeply felt, a simple story that emphasizes character over special effects. A-

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 am
Extraordinary

MUD

I enjoyed most of the characters in this film. It had a nice cast of unknown and known players. McConaughey was excellent and I liked Shannon in his limited role. I thought the two young teens were fantastic. I don't know if they are from the South but they certainly brought alot to their roles. It did have a glimpse of a Tom Sawyer Huck Finn feel early on for me too. I thought Reese's character was interesting in the beginning but her role peetered out at the end. Overall I did enjoy this film. I thought one bit towards the end was a bit lacking but maybe it brought things full circle in the end I guess.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:16 am
Extraordinary

I liked it. McConaughey is very good but he's not in the movie as much I thought he was going to be. The two teenagers (boy did they not look 14 :| ) were fantastic though. To me I think this is a movie that gets better the more I think about it 'cause when it ended I was indifferent about it but thinking about it more I do think it did a good job in showing how the main kid learned about relationships and love.

Fri May 03, 2013 6:52 pm
Wallflower

Even better than Take Shelter. I thought it was terrific. Tye Sheridan is great in it. This kid is going places. Really enjoyable, well-directed film. One of the very best so far this year.

9/10 (A-)

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:19 pm
Extraordinary

Oops, never wrote a review for this one!

I really enjoyed the low key Mud, especially the fact that it had an actual story and real characters, after being bludgeoned all Spring long with the modern-style movies with neither.

Matthew McConaughey is a great actor and chooses his roles wisely.

12 out of 5.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:03 am
You must have big rats

Wonderful film.

Any chance it'll reappear during the awards season?

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Might be a screenplay contender.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:47 pm
now we know

I enjoyed the film and it kept me interested throughout, but this is not anything original, just to let you know. It's a small-town tale about a boy's life-learning lesson. Throughout a boys teen years, they will encounter many learning instances, and they will remember these forever and always recall them when similar circumstances are faced in later years, and that is what this film is about; one of those lessons. It was great for this, and I adored the simplicity.

Overall I just wish it was a little more full. It's totally possible for Mud to be more thrilling and exciting whilst still retaining the overall theme of learning about love and how the world works. McConaughey was very good (but still kind of the same as in all other films), Witherspoon was also good (in fact I was surprised she was even in it), but Tye Sheridan was excellent, especially in one of the final scenes when he's upset and angry for realising that that girl isn't into him because they went on one poxy date, and then he says "but I love you" and oh, just ... great scene.

Truthfully, this should have been more violent in the kinetic scenes, in the mould of Drive, but it was half there. Some scenes were poignant, some were exciting, but none were boring - it was all interesting stuff. Enjoyable, but not groundbreaking, but with good performances.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I do not believe anyone is operating under the assumption this is a highly "original" film. It is clearly indebted to the novels of Twain, for example.

A story well told is a story well told. Originality is an elusive, perhaps overvalued concept. It is nice now and then to see a left-field, insane stylistic gambit, sure, but still.

Nice review, though. Honestly, it sounds as if you loved it, but are restraining yourself from saying so. ;) I don't buy it would instantly be a B+ if there were a few graphic foot-stomp skull crushes.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:06 pm
now we know

What I meant about the originality was that all the way through I was fully expecting Mud to be an imaginary figure, so I was kind of disappointed to find out that he wasn't. That kind of played on my mind a little. Of course, I didn't want it to be totally original, and I liked the way it told a simple story about two boys and an on-the-run criminal, but it surely could have been more punchy. It just didn't engross me as much as the other 'B+' movies this year, so it gets a 'B'. There would be no reason to restrain myself from saying I enjoyed it more. Since I saw the first trailer, I have wanted to see this - it looked great and it was good.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

One of my favorites of 2013. McConaughey is just as strong as he has been these past couple of years here and works well with the two young actors to put together a very strong ensemble. The film is fairly simple but definitely dives into its themes quite dramatically despite its simplicity. I also though Reese Witherspoon was at her best in a while here. She doesn't say much but her involvement definitely adds more to the film. Can't wait to watch this one again.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]