Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Jerry Maguire 

What grade would you give this film?
A 76%  76%  [ 13 ]
B 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

Jerry Maguire 
College Boy Z

Post Jerry Maguire
Jerry Maguire

Quote:
Jerry Maguire is a 1996 American romantic comedy-drama film starring Tom Cruise. It was written, co-produced, and directed by Cameron Crowe. The film released in North American theaters on December 13, 1996, distributed by Gracie Films and TriStar Pictures.

The film received mostly positive reviews and, on a $50 million budget, was a financial success, bringing in more than $270 million worldwide.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:25 pm
Award Winning Bastard

This is one of my favorite movies ever! (Dr. Lecter has never seen it [-X )

Cruise was awesome, the story was great, Kelly and Renee were adorable, and Glen Frey of the Eagles (my second favorite band) had a nice role. Cuba Gooding Jr. and the entire rest of the cast were excellent! I hope Cameron Crowe repeats this magic in October's Elizabethtown.

A+

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:28 pm
Sbil

This is one of my favorite movies ever! (Dr. Lecter has never seen it [-X )

Cruise was awesome, the story was great, Kelly and Renee were adorable, and Glen Frey of the Eagles (my second favorite band) had a nice role. Cuba Gooding Jr. and the entire rest of the cast were excellent! I hope Cameron Crowe repeats this magic in October's Elizabethtown.

A+

Have you seriously never seen Almost Famous?

Cameron Crowe outdoes Jerry Maguire with that.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 pm
Award Winning Bastard

:oops: No, I haven't seen it. #-o

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

:oops: No, I haven't seen it. #-o

I am convinced you will give it an A+, or come close.

Rent that one first.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:32 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Rent that one first.

I will do that, Libs. :smile:

This is what I get for trying to bust Lecter on never seeing Jerry Maguire. :lol:

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:34 pm
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:

Rent that one first.

I will do that, Libs. :smile:

This is what I get for trying to bust Lecter on never seeing Jerry Maguire. :lol:

First see Almost Famous! Considering you're into music and all, it's a shock you haven't seen it :-k [-(

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

First see Almost Famous! Considering you're into music and all, it's a shock you haven't seen it :-k [-(

:oops:

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:40 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I have seen Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire and I think Maguire is better. Jerry Maguire would most likely creep into my top ten list of all time, everything is just great about the movie...I love it.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I agree that Jerry Maguire is a better movie than Almost Famous. The whole cast is very good, even Kelly Preston who is usually bland. I remember seeing an interview with Renee Zellweger before it came out wondering 'how did SHE get cast in this?' esp. since she reportedly beat out Mira Sorvino, Marisa Tomei, and Winona Ryder (I think) for this part. But now I can't imagine anyone else playing that part. It's a good movie I need to watch again sometime. My grade: A-.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

"You complete me" is one of the most narcissistic lines I've ever seen in a romance. Yeah sweetheart, you're not great in your own right, you're great because you fill this niche in my life, you're this little jigsaw piece. How romantic. :roll:

B-, I"m being generous because of generally good production values that make it watchable.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A

great film, Cruise and Zellweger were awesome :cool:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't understand how everyone can like this film. It's just like every other romantic comedy out there. The best thing about it is definetely Renee. Sure, it has some funny lines, I loved when Cruise was yelling "I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE" and "YOU'RE MY MOTHER FUCKER!!!" I just thought the film was uneven. While I didn't love it, I certainly didn't hate it. I kind of wish I didn't blind buy it though.

7/10 (B-)

EDIT: I'm rewatching it on TBS (thought I own it) and I like it a lot more than when I first saw it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

Just mentioned this in the other thread, realized I never really commented on it.

This is still Tom Cruise's best performance (or tied with Born on the Fourth of July and Magnolia). Cuba Gooding, Jr. deservingly won an Oscar, Renee Zellweger is luminous in her breakthrough performance, Regina King and Bonnie Hunt are wonderful in smaller roles, Jonathan Lipnicki (was) one of the cutest child actors in the world in this movie. Cameron Crowe's writing and directing is impeccable. This is one of those movies that should really appeal to everyone; essentially, magic on celluloid. A

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:29 pm
life begins now

The entire cast, especially Cuba Gooding, Jr., were excellent. Probably Crowe's second best movie behind Almost Famous.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I finally got hold of the film. I'll watch it in a double feature with Almost Famous (which I got as a blind buy).

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Heh... funnily enough... I saw this for the FIRST TIME last night :oops:

It was... in simple terms... Great :)

I loved it!

9.6/10 A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:13 am
We had our time together

One of the best feel-good movies ever. Gooding Jr. deserved his oscar and Cruise wasn't bad either. A

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Post Re: Jerry Maguire
Note: I'm not a fan of romantic comedies.

That said, this is one of the best there is. It's consistently funny, but also heartwarming and packed with stellar performances. Tom Cruise gives one of his best performances here, Renee Zellweger is likable (considering that I do not like her), and Cuba Gooding Jr. gives a great performance as well. It puts a smile on your face. I enjoyed it.

B+

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:42 am
You must have big rats

A-

It's one of those films that literally everyone around me has already seen, but I just never got to it. The same also applies to Almost Famous, even if to a lesser degree. I will get to that, though. With this and Vanilla Sky, I can already certainly say that I like Cameron Crowe and his style (I'll just ignore the fact that he also made Elizabethtown). I suppose what I admire the most about him is how he really manages to get the best out of his actors. He did it in Vanilla ky propelling Cameron Diaz to her best performance to date and certainly in Jerry Maguire which features some of the finest turns for all members of its main cast.

The movie has a pretty standard message and is not particulary deep or thoughtful, but I can fully understand why it became such a crowd pleaser. I must say that I enjoyed it immensly from the beginning till the very end and that mostly thanks to a crisp screenplay and some fine acting on behalf of Cruise, Zellweger and Cuba Gooding Jr. the latter is in particular surprising. It has always been a mystery to me how he could win an Oscar since most of his performances I knew were the ones in the likes of Snow Dogs or Boat Trip. Thus it was moreso surprising to me how good he was in Jerry Maguire. Did he deserve to win? I don't know as I haven't seen most of his competition that year or at least don't remember it, but the nod was fully deserved. He's just on fire in this film, fueling it with energy and exuberance. Tom Cruise delivers a more understated, though also formidable performance. He has done better with Magnolia and Vanilla Sky, but it was still a very solid turn that reminded me that behind all that craziness of his, he's still a very capable actor. I hope to see that back soon. Renee Zellweger probably got the least attention for that film, undeservingly so. I've always been a fan of hers and in Jerry Maguire she's just as great as ever, showing her fragile and emotional side very well. The chemistry between her and Cruise is just perfect and I don't think I need to mention how lovely their scene at the end of the film is. All I need to say is: "You complete me". Corny, yes, but oh so romantic and fitting.

Obviously, it's not a film without pitfalls. I though that at over 130 minutes running time it stretches the patience sometimes and that some characters, like Kelly Preston's are simply way too one-dimensional (which is a pity considering how good most of the characters are), but on the whole it is an enjoyable film that deals with themes of success, but more importantly with those of family and marriage and what truly makes us happy in life. It doesn't do so perfectly, but certainly does it very delightfully.

I still didn't get to see Almost Famous, though...

Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Super fluffy, but I do enjoy parts of it. Basically just the football parts.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 am
Forum General

It's not often you come across one of the worst movies you've ever seen, but when you do...wooooo boy.

I don't have a clue how this swindled as much money as it did, or how, in fact, movies like this ever get made in the first place.

In fact, I struggle to think of a movie like this, a movie that is meant to be rooted in reality, but for all its plot points, could be science fiction, or surrealism. I suppose there are movies about generic lawyers, businessmen, authors- whatever, but why would you ever choose to write a story that pretends its protagonist changes an industry, when it is so far from the truth, it should be liable for damages.

Perhaps age doesn't help its cause, but the sports agent industry is worse than it has ever been. It is completely dominated by money, there aren't personal relationships, the entire thing is corporate up and down. If there weren't even obvious from the start, the real life figure the character was based on, is completely unlike anything that happens in the film, so why base it off anyone? How does it tug anyone's heart strings when Maguire is a complete narcissist that does nothing to justify the make-believe burst of a conscience, or how fantastical that there is an NFL player that even exists in the same milky way as Tidwell? There's bad, and there's Jerry Maguire. There's Donald Trump, and there's Jerry Maguire.

A wholly preposterous film and even more ludicrous story, that takes such creative liberty with reality, that the makers should have been committed to an asylum. It's probably some of the worst writing that has ever scarred paper. What a shitshow.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]