Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The World's End 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

The World's End 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The World's End
The World's End

Quote:
The World's End is a 2013 British science fiction comedy film directed by Edgar Wright, written by Wright and Simon Pegg, and starring Pegg, Nick Frost, Paddy Considine, Martin Freeman, and Eddie Marsan. Wright, Pegg, Frost and the film's producer Nira Park have previously worked together on the television series Spaced, as well as the other two films in the so-called "Cornetto trilogy", Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007). The film follows a group of friends reattempting an epic pub crawl in their hometown, before unearthing an alien/robot invasion.

The film is produced by Relativity Media, Big Talk Productions, and Working Title Films. Filming began in September 2012 at locations in Welwyn Garden City and Letchworth Garden City. Part of the film was also shot at High Wycombe railway station in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Filming ended on 22 December 2012.

The film premiered on 10 July 2013 at Leicester Square in London and was released in the United Kingdom on 19 July 2013, with the release date for the United States set to 23 August 2013.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: The World's End
Its likely the best of the cornetto trilogy. its not as funny as Shaun but its a most complete and heavier story. And it avoids the middle section flab of Hot Fuzz. well ok maybe 8/10 minutes could have been trimmed but small issue,

It reminds me of the fact that the best way to deliver exposition is to weave it into the action don't just stop and recite it like a robot make sure the story keeps moving forward. At Worlds End makes sure when its filling in the blanks you are amused by thrown punches and destroyed robot alien things. Loved the cornetto cameo and the closing shot was pure awesomeness,

I do fear Wright might be suffering from tim burton syndrome cause god damn he is predictable but its still enjoyable so for now I'll forgive it.

Yea great film watch it.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:12 pm
loyalfromlondon

great

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm
You must have big rats

It is much more serious than Hot Fuzz and Shaun, which took me by surprise. I think I liked those two more, definitely Hot Fuzz. The ending was kinda unexpected in a bleak sort of way.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Though not a bad film in any way, shape, or form, The World's End continues a downward trend for director Edgar Wright's loose trilogy of films which are at once heartfelt odes to and knowing parodies of recognizable cinematic conceits, such as zombie apocalypses and mismatched policemen, and their related conventions. Nine years later, Shaun of the Dead remains the cream of Wright's oeuvre. Here, an insidious alien invasion is a vehicle through which the writer/director explores midlife crises and substance abuse as a five estranged childhood friends reunite and return to their hometown only to realize much has changed (many of the pubs have lost their idiosyncratic local charm, and, worse still, many of its citizens are now enslaved, robotic clones of their former selves) and their lives may be in danger. In general, I admire The World's End more than I enjoy it. I respect, for instance, its bid to consider melancholy, serious concerns, such as aging and regret, via a high-octane pop entertainment, and there is potent wit on display both in the storytelling and in the visual style. At the same time, however, Wright falls short in several respects: despite a top-flight cast, several members of the central group of friends fail to come into focus the way they should as human beings (a long gestating, lopsided love triangle is particularly thinly conceived), which is so important in a Big Chill style film this focused on friendship and memory, and the unwieldy third act often confuses frantic with fun and shouted soap-opera revelations with earned emotion and depth.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:29 pm
Pure Phase

The film rather poorly handles the Rosamund Pike character, in my opinion, which is a shame because it could have resulted in a very moving subplot. I just didn't buy it: her entry and reentry into the film at random intervals, the Paddy Considine character's laughable declaration of love, etc. No real feeling.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:34 pm
You must have big rats

I liked the idea of Simon Pegg playing his least sympathetic character ever and Nick Frost being the total straight man here.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes, both are good, even if for Simon being good here often equals being very frustrating. ;)

I thought the other actors were largely underutilized. Freeman and Considine are neither here nor there. I s'pose Marsan does have a few fantastic moments and is definitely the standout among the other three friends, which is not saying much.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:43 pm
You must have big rats

Considine has some nice moments and a lot of potential. Freeman is utterly wasted, which is a shame, knowing how damn talented he is. I mean he has no reason being there, aside from being the brother to Pike's character.

I also loved the short appearances by the leads of Sightseers. What a glorious comedy that was...

Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

No. And It's not underwhelming or disappointing or something like that. It is terrible. It is junk.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 am
The Lubitsch Touch

On some level I feel for them. They wanted to make a more serious movie, but they are boxed in to making pandering genre crap, so we get this sad, perfunctory robot stuff splitting time with alarmingly flat character beats. They probably actually just pulled the word robot out of a hat of possible antagonists about a week before shooting. Because as long as heads are getting popped off, the nerds will love it, who gives a shit, right Wright and Pegg? I liked them before tonight but, lets be honest, they're just cynical con artists, tiresome Kevin Smiths who haven't lost their cred [yet]

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:04 am
Sbil

I actually didn't care for this at all. It had a couple of great moments, but I found it kinda limp and a slog to get through, honestly. C

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Tried to like that post Libs but remembered this wasn't facebook

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 am
Pure Phase

But, but, but Wright did the rapid-montage-with-a-zoom bit every time the pints were pulled, and the last one would always hilariously be tap water!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Just once I was hoping Wright could refrain from giving us an individual reaction shot from all four actors to Pegg's latest shenanigan, but he never missed a beat!

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:23 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Sigh

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:26 am
Pure Phase

I wonder what the "point" (with a capital p) of the very last scene is. Because the fact Pegg's character is now roaming the post-apocalyptic countryside with the teenage clones of his friends indicates he is still a slave to nostalgia, a victim of arrested development, etc., etc., but they emphasize how he orders water, which I s'pose echoes the earlier only-a-real-man-can-go-into-a-bar-full-of-City-fans-in-warpaint-and-order-a-tap-water bit, so are they saying he has matured? Who knows?

It almost reminds me of the ending of Midnight in Paris, where the message more or less is, "Living in the past with your head in the clouds is wrong...but leaving your entire life behind to live in Paris with the beautiful, perfect, and, of course, young Parisian shop girl who is inexplicably head over heels for you after two or three encounters? Good idea. Realistic and mature."

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 am
The Kramer

I think it is meant to signify that he has finally found something else to live for, besides drinking. He hasn't matured at all really, just fit in better in the new world than he did in the old one. If was able to change, he would have never "saved" the world after all.

It's a very fitting end to the trilogy, which has often stressed that you can always be yourself if you find the right situation. Shaun's slacker life wasn't working in the day-to-day world, but post-zombies it was a fine lifestyle that his girlfriend was all too happy to be alive in. Nicholas' always-on personality was out of place, until it turned out everybody was a murderer. Now Gary finally has a crew to worship him and an excuse to be a brawling nomad, all without the need of alcohol. So he beat his disease, but you can't beat yourself. Otherwise it's a Judd Apatow movie. And I love Judd, but it would have been very out of place to have the movie ending with Gary "getting his life together" for the girl.

I loved this movie, of course. Edgar continues to throw his perfect game into the fifth. He the master of genre. Here he mashes together a Jory Hillish comedy with the sci-fi manic energy of Joe Cornish's Attack The Block. It is funny and the fight scenes are well done, though a bit too short at times. The music is wonderfully fitting, filled with nostalgic 90s brit-rock. It is hard to compare with the other two, since I've seen them so many many times compared to this one, but compared to the other movies of 2013 it reigns supreme.

for Ant-Man!

A+

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm
Extraordinary

THE WORLDS END

I was interested in seeing this today and I was Not tired but this film had my eyes drooping towards the end. In fact, I was in and out when they were at the Worlds End pub talking to some alien. I ended up missing some conversation but did see the city get wiped. I did like how the film started with Gary obsessing over the need to finish the pub quest with his friends. It was funny seeing him get the gang together and even the first few pub visit were funny. After the initial fight with the robots though the film began to lose steam for me. It couldn't keep my attention and thus I drifted off. Generally, it's a okay comedy.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:44 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I definitely enjoyed this but I think it is my least favorite of Pegg/Frost films, including Paul. It's very funny, very clever at times. My favorite bit being the appointment with Dr. Ink, and Pegg's comment that it should have been the 5 musketeers because even if one or two, you still have three in the end. The Happy Bleak ending is purposely weird, and I dug it. The acting is also top notch from everyone, including Frost who really gets to be very good on a serious note. Pegg continues to shine, and the remaining actors are great. Marsan is dam right hilarious and his sub plot and fate has the most emotional punch for me.

I think my only complaint is that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz had very crafted stories that not only parody the genre, but they also managed to be great entries in their respective genres. Here the genre is more vague at which their trying to be. It's trying to be 3 films at once, and while there are glimpses of brilliance in all 3, the mesh of them is at times uneven. I think the Invasion of the Body Snatchers angle would have worked a lot better if everyone was already friends and the mystery was fleshed it out more. It's extremely ambitious. A lot feels rushed for me, which is a shame because I don't want the films to stop. Thinking about it more though, I think this one will have very good rewatchability as I think there is a lot more to it than the other films. But where as HF and Shaun were the band's hit singles, and Paul was a great multiple act concert, The World's End is that great compilation CD that is oddly missing one or two great songs.

As of now A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Interesting how this has received raves from critics and my circle of friends, my roommates, my co-workers, hell just about everyone, but not here, huh?

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:47 am
The Kramer

Screw 'em DIB. It is just David influencing everybody else with his witchcraft.

Remember that Django also got a mixed reaction around here. Pretty much everything does except indie rom coms.

You'll know how great World's End is in your heart. :thumbsup:

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 am
On autopilot for the summer

Mine's not a rave, but I definitely liked it a lot, one of my favorite films this year for sure.

I think that Shaun and Hot Fuzz changed a lot, and people hold so high above, the World's End doesn't really raise the bar, it simply maintains it. Take away that perspective and look at it for what it is, it's a great flick.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:32 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Very enjoyable just like the other two films even if it's a bit more serious. Can't wait to see it again.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

This is "more serious" in the sense it is more sermonizing, yet also not. The robot storyline is very flimsy, and I never invested in the core mates as seriously as I did Shaun and Ed's friendship in Shaun of the Dead.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next